Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Anne7

Re: Following Karls' Families

Post by Anne7 »

TRACKER MAP
PIKNE - SEPTEMBER 19th, complete day
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Yesterday, Pikne flew 8.76 km.
He/she was near Brănești in Romania, close to the Moldovan border and the river Prut
Battery level: 64%

“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

TRACKER MAP
UDU - SEPTEMBER 19th, complete day
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Yesterday, Udu flew 13.1 km.
He/she was still near the Sóskúti-halastó fishponds near Bánhalma in Hungary
Battery level: 63%

“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Thank you, Hellem, for the birdmap data! :wave:

BIRDMAP OVERVIEW SEPTEMBER 19

KARL II
Previous data: 18.09.2021, distance 1910 km, +11 km in 1 day, stopover place, near Oleksandrivka, Kherson Oblast, Ukraine
NEW data: 19.09.2021, distance 1920 km, +10 km in 1 day, stopover place, near Oleksandrivka, Kherson Oblast, Ukraine

UDU
Previous data: 18.09.2021, distance 2589 km, + 4 km in 1 day, stopover. Udu is still near the Sóskúti-halastó fishponds near Bánhalma in Hungary
NEW data: 19.09.2021, distance 2604 km, +15 km in 1 day, stopover. Udu is still in the Sóskúti-halastó fishponds area near Bánhalma in Hungary

PIKNE
Previous data: 18.09.2021, distance 2482 km, + 71 km in 1 day, stopover. Pikne flew southwards and sent data from the opposite bank of the Prut River near Brănești in Romania.
NEW data: 19.09.2021, distance 2490 km, + 8 km in 1 day, stopover. Pikne sent data near Brănești in Romania.

— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

Good evening everybody

Anne7 wrote: September 20th, 2021, 5:09 pm ...
If anyone has any ideas on how to improve the procedure, please feel free!
Anne, I don't know what is the double work good for?

UDU
tracker card - 19.09.
bird Card - 19.09.

The admins and you control the movements, temperature, flight speed ... well, you know if something is not OK, right?
And we, we see enough on the bird map.
(Just my opinion)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

At first I was puzzled by sova's "double work" comment. What is it that is doubled?
Now I see - but Birdmap and this forum are two separate websites. Not every forum member goes to Birdmap and not every Birdmap visitor comes to the forum.
We and Birdmap are almost interdependent, but not quite!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

sova wrote: September 20th, 2021, 5:55 pm *****
Good evening everybody

Anne, I don't know what is the double work good for?

The admins and you control the movements, temperature, flight speed ... well, you know if something is not OK, right?
And we, we see enough on the bird map.
(Just my opinion)
Hello Sova. :hi:
Thanks for your feedback.

If the information provided by birdmap is enough for everyone on this forum, then we can indeed save ourselves the work of making tracker maps, and simply document the birdmap updates (as is done on the other migration topics).

The tracker maps give much more information, as you know. For example, one can see where the bird slept, how long it stayed at a certain place, whether it simply flew over or whether it stopped at a certain location. Also, for example, what time the bird left during a ‘travel-day', how long he was in flight… and at what speed… and how high, etc. … also at what time he arrived at his destination...

I don't know if people are (still) interested in that kind of exact information? When the tracker maps were new, everyone was enthusiastic about that. Maybe the enthusiasm has subsided? :puzzled:

As far as documenting the maps (making and posting the images) is concerned, it makes no difference in terms of work whether a 'tracker map' or the 'birdmap' is used.
And it would indeed be double work to post images of both ‘data sources’. :nod:
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

Anne7 wrote: September 20th, 2021, 6:44 pm ...
I don't know if people are interested in that kind of information? When the tracker maps were new, everyone was enthusiastic about that. Maybe the enthusiasm has subsided? :puzzled:
Jo, Anne .... as I said, that's just my opinion
sova wrote: September 20th, 2021, 5:55 pm ...
(Just my opinion)
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

sova wrote: September 20th, 2021, 6:51 pm Jo, Anne .... as I said, that's just my opinion
Yes, of course, Sova.
And that’s perfectly fine! Thank you. :thumbs:

It would be really nice to have feedback from other members too.
So, please, fellow forum members, what is your opinion?
— Irene Pepperberg
Polly

Post by Polly »

Good evening everyone!

For me personally it is enough to follow the migration of birds in general. I overread too much information (also too many card images) - it flashes me too much. It overwhelms me. The route and whether our birds regularly send data is enough for me.
Incidentally, a weekly summary would suffice for me personally! Even if we are curious - we would also cover up current, very precise locations.
In the exceptional case, if a bird sends abnormal or no data (or for scientific studies, recording), it is of course pleasant and good to see something in deeper data.

Y'all be greeted :innocent:

Edit:
By the way, it is very advantageous to only read the topic. To me.
Without opening the bird map. She loads for me a long time.
I am grateful to receive information gathered very quickly in the forum.

Thank you for your effort!
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Rita

Post by Rita »

I was never interested in the tracker maps and also not in these extensive daily weather reports - for me the birdmap is
perfectly sufficient.

Too much information in the threads, especially when the information offered consists of more or less the same repetitive pictures and other chaotic elements and thank-you postings without other content thwarts the mission of this forum to document. On some threads I feel like I am on some social media platform. I mentioned this exagerrated posting on some occasions, nothing changed, though. That is why I withdrew.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Good evening!
It seems to me that we sometimes give too little feedback to questioners.
We all have an opinion, don't we?
I agree with Polly:
Polly wrote: September 20th, 2021, 7:30 pm ...
I am grateful to receive information gathered very quickly in the forum.
I really like to read forum comments in addition to maps, I'm interested in everything.
Since I tried to document the nest life myself this summer, I know exactly how much time this activity requires from my personal life. That is why I appreciate all the people who do it.
Thanks to Anne, we found out where Karl II was when the camera didn't work for a long time or in the meantime. It was extremely interesting and necessary!

I think it is normal for me to give the feedback that I liked this information.
I really appreciate that she did it late at night when she was actually tired.
To say "thank you" for that is elementary courtesy. But of course, people are different.
That was my opinion. Anne, I'm not tired of reading and thanking you.

I am also grateful to everyone else who shares data and tracking maps!
Edit:
My opinion is only about this forum/thread here: "Following Karls' Families".
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

:hi:

20.09 Birdmap update:

Pikne - 2540 km (+50 km), stopover, sent data near Brănești in Romania but from the Moldovan side bank of the Prut River :laugh:
Karl II - 1936 km (+16 km), stopover place, sent data near Oleksandrivka and Pryvillya, Ukraine
Udu - 2611 km (+7 km), sent data from his/her stopover place at the Sóskúti-halastó fishponds near Bánhalma in Hungary

I like to watch the tracker maps (speed, altitude, stops etc.) , but getting a map of today's (20.09) movements tomorrow (21.09) evening is no longer necessary in my opinion. All the more, so as all 3 BS are at their stopover places and their movements are good visible on birdmap. When they are again on the way south the tracker maps would be necessary again, it's my opinion.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Good evening :wave:

I personally like the information that the tracker maps give us, and i especially like the way the results are presented in this thread: the high quality of information, the map itself, with not too many photos, and last but not least i appreciate the sociable atmosphere that it has always presented.

EDIT:
The mass of maps and especially the mass of photos of the locations / environment, as presented in another migration thread, i think is completely exaggerated. It really doesn't have to be documented a single flown km (and that with numerous photos).
But this is not the case here in this migration thread.

Just like Rita, i don't like drifting to a kind of YT chat either.
However, to say thank you every now and then (or at the end of a season of a nest) to those who provide us with the information can, in my opinion, do no harm.
sylvielm

Post by sylvielm »

since, for once, we are asking for our opinion, I will give my opinion. I appreciate seeing the map and also the possibility to see here more details, a summary, photos, the possibility to ask questions, etc... after all, if I don't want to see them, I don't look at them again, it is simple.
regarding the julge thread, i agree with rita and balistar. the social network side is unpleasant, we are witnesses of kinds of confrontations which do not concern us.
unlike balistar, I don't know what a youtube chat is, to my eyes it is rather julge thread that has become an LK chat ...
At last, bird safety is crucial indeed, but seems inevitably to lead, here in forum, to exaggerations, I think you could ease off a bit.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Good morning Anne and everyone :wave:
Anne7 wrote: September 20th, 2021, 5:09 pm ...
It will possibly take some time for all of us to get used to the new way of publishing tracker maps.

So today, September 20th, the tracker maps are made from yesterday, September 19th, from midnight to midnight.
I am sure that, if this scheme does not work as desired, the admins will come up with suggestions/adjustments.
If anyone has any ideas on how to improve the procedure, please feel free!

Let's give it a try. :nod:

Regarding the withholding of data from the tracker maps for 24 hours, which is supposed to serve the safety of the storks, i would like to add:

I noticed that birdmap continues to update daily (as far as data are sent). In this regard, unless both maps are pulling together, there is little point in holding back the data from the tracker maps.
By this i mean, of course, the overall data of all Estonian Black Storks.
bigfan

Post by bigfan »

balistar wrote: September 21st, 2021, 1:01 pm Good morning Anne and everyone :wave:

Regarding the withholding of data from the tracker maps for 24 hours, which is supposed to serve the safety of the storks, i would like to add:

I noticed that birdmap continues to update daily (as far as data are sent). In this regard, unless both maps are pulling together, there is little point in holding back the data from the tracker maps.
By this i mean, of course, the overall data of all Estonian Black Storks.
:nod: :nod: :nod:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

balistar wrote: September 20th, 2021, 11:08 pm ....

EDIT:...But this is not the case here in this migration thread.

Just like Rita, i don't like drifting to a kind of YT chat either.

When I read OTHER Tread, that's manipulative. Until not so long ago there was a flood of pictures in EVERY thread! Google Earth images, images of closer surroundings, even of trains and so on. Many pictures from a few members ! that changed this year . Suddenly someone didn't like it anymore and there are new rules. Everyone obeys the rules, but you still have to "step after"

There is also a rule that you don't just thank and tell others how great they are. This is not a documentation. This is social media behavior.
You're right, it's basically like Facebook here in the meantime. In YT chat, they don't thank around the clock.

BTW: without YT no recordings of nest events and storage. No cameras without YT! The only way to stream and archive for free. In my opinion, YT has nothing to do with social media! Personal things are not desired in the chats. Neither politics, religion nor diseases! This does not belong in a chat in which nest activities are observed.

EDIT: BTW: Rita didn't mention YT.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Hello!

About thanking someone: guidelines for posting:

"Posting a Thank you is a pleasant and friendly thing to do but try to add some relevant text as well, if possible."

https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 35#p829435

Since I don't contribute to this forum thread myself and just read, I would sometimes like to say a few good words to those who are constantly transmitting data here.

Do we stop it and never say anything good to anyone?
In fact, it is easy to never thank anyone. Most people do not express their gratitude.

My answer to Anne's question: I am always waiting for the data and information of the tracking cards!

Thank you for your attention! :laugh:
Polly

Post by Polly »

I think we're mixing topics right now.

Tracker cards and their publication - my opinion: Only in special situations. We are not scientists and ornithologists. It should be enough for us to observe the migration in general. I would leave details in the care and decision-making of a few members for publication.

Youtube ... Facebook etc. ...
Youtube is not just chat. There are tidy chats with information only. But there are also chats with a thousand hellos, flowers and coffee cup smilies. They are completely pointless! They are for entertainment only. And annoy them.
That's why I switch off the chat immediately after starting the camera.
A community is beautiful and important! That's right. Also nice words ... a heartfelt thank you let us warm up and encourage us to continue to see and report. I miss it sometimes. I'm pretty much alone on tour with "my Goshawks". Although I invest a lot of love, time and effort. But I want to document - first of all! So it's okay.
And then there are topics where you first have to skip many posts of the greetings in order to get to the topic. Sometimes that is a wonder.
It also leads to important and interesting posts getting lost in the crowd. And it leads to members being accidentally excluded. Because the hard core is too fixated on one another.

I think this discussion should be decoupled here. And continue to be pronounced.
There seems to be an urgent need for discussion. And space should be created for it - everyone should be allowed to speak and in the end our community will hopefully be on one point.
We are too good to argue and go offended.

We are actually a great gang! :nod:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
sova

Post by sova »

Heloise wrote: September 21st, 2021, 3:08 pm ...

My answer to Anne's question: I am always waiting for the data and information of the tracking cards!

Thank you for your attention! :laugh:
Heloise spoke, Amen ! :D
Polly wrote: September 21st, 2021, 3:48 pm ...
We are too good to argue and go offended.

We are actually a great gang! :nod:
I like you very much Polly (may I say that?) :mrgreen:
but you know that

Return to “Migration Maps and News”