Golden Eagle Webcam Nest 2022

A webcam on a Golden Eagle Nest in Soomaa region
Forum rules
Welcome to this new webcam on a Golden Eagle nest in Soomaa.

We want to be as relaxed as possible, and help members to enjoy this forum. While having regard to the forum wide rules about picture size (800x600)and number of pics/videos per post(3) please post as much as you want. Try to banish the "double post" restriction. If you have prepared pictures, videos and text, please, please, post it. Your post is really wanted here. Please do not delete or withold your post just because another member has posted something similar before you. This forum is no place for a competiton about who posts first. All members are equal.

On other forums within Looduskalender, where there is one specified moderator, please respect the rules posted by that moderator as before.
This Golden Eagle forum will not have only one Moderator - as a team, we shall all do what is needed. There will not be separate Obsevation/Discussion topics.
Liz01

Re: Golden Eagle Webcam Nest 2022

Post by Liz01 »

deleted
Ravens

Post by Ravens »

Liz01 wrote: May 14th, 2022, 2:41 pm I only quoted from Susanne's provided link! that she provided. That was just an example. I don't deal with such things here - here in this thread is all about documentation. The ornithologists do not need a collection of links provided by me. What are they supposed to do with that? They know better themself self where to find information, if they need!

I myself have read many studies in my life. also about other topics!
Honestly, if you've been doing this for many years, you know that studies only make sense if you have a sufficient cohort available.
For example, if you intensively observed only 10 nests. .(there are not so many cameras for golden eagles and not others for other species!) then your result is doubtful! You have to put the participants in the study in relation to the total population.

In the case of wild birds, there is also the fact that some only observe briefly and already have results.. in earlier times there was no camera. No one was able to closely observe the nest life.
That is why it is still important to document today. You gain new knowledge! Not me! But the ornithologists. This is the purpose of Looduskalender.

Anyone can find these studies online. That is not a work .

And no, I will not document further. I've lost my desire. If I want to be criticized, I come back here. But I don't think that will happen!
I am sorry that this has become so personal for you. I intend this to be purely about the data.

The studies being cited come from researchers well respected in the field. Research Dr. Jeff Watson. He was out with the birds annually. "His research base in the Highlands was, for several years, a camper van and, with his wife, Vanessa, he tramped hundreds of miles each year, often on straight transects over precipitous mountain features. Watson acquired personal knowledge of most golden eagle nesting territories in Scotland, and bolstered this experience with visits to other parts of the birds' world range to advise on conservation and management."

Besides, a researcher can have a decent idea of whether a species practices obligate vs. facultative siblicide by simply counting successfully fledged offspring.

For instance, I live in a region that has been touted as having amongst the highest breeding density of golden eagles on the planet. First, allow me to cite a source for that: "Estimates of density of territorial pairs of golden eagles in the Diablo Range are among the highest on record for this species worldwide (approximately 54 pairs per 1,000 km2; Wiens et al., 2015; Hunt et al., 2017; Katzner et al., 2020)." - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/J- ... ion_detail

In a recent study conducted between the years 2014-2021, itself within a parcel of the northern Diablo Range, those observing nests documented these stats for the final two years: "In 2020, we found evidence of nesting for 39 percent of 74 pairs monitored. Of the 29 pairs that nested, 9 (31 percent) failed to produce young, 13 (45 percent) fledged one young each, and 7 (24 percent) fledged two young each (mean number of young fledged per successful site = 1.35). In 2021, we found evidence of nesting for 38 percent of 90 pairs monitored. Of the 34 pairs that nested, 11 (32 percent) failed to produce young, 13 (38 percent) fledged one young each, and 10 (29 percent) fledged two young each (mean number of young fledged per successful site = 1.43)." - https://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2021/1107/ofr20211107.pdf

By last year alone we can surmise even if we had no other data, that this population practices facultative rather than obligate siblicide. 13 pairs fledged one young each, and 10 pairs fledged two young each.

I do hope you will find the joy in documenting golden eagles (Aquila chrysaetos) once more and not allow a difficult personality, such as myself, to dissuade you from learning further from dear Helju, Kalju, now and future eaglets. If it's any consolation, I will be out of town for the night. Be well.
akle

Post by akle »

The lens keeps being misty. Anybody observed recent events in the nest? I think I see eaglet #1 right now and suppose #2 is dead. Feeding going on regularly? Would be nice to learn from those who spend more time on observing this nest.
Ravens

Post by Ravens »

Younger eaglet has perished. S/he did not return to the nest after slipping between the outer branches on 2022-05-11 06:39:16. Death by exposure, starvation, or injury (e.g. falling impact) are likely possibilities. The eldest eaglet is doing well. S/he was fed several times today (2022-05-16) and is sporting an impressively stuffed crop.

Feeding run down:

Early in the day the main prey in the nest was one of the commonly brought orange-footed waterfowl of indeterminate species.

Eaglet fed - 07:08:59
Eaglet fed - 09:33:35
Helju feeds herself - 10:48:09 and 12:18:06
Eaglet takes a bite too - 12:18:28 and is fed more 12:19:16
Helju feeds herself: 13:54:25
Helju takes a couple bites - 15:13:08
Eaglet is fed - 17:23
Kalju arrives with new prey - 17:28:24
Eaglet is fed from new prey as well 17:30:19

Otherwise, Helju was further active with nestorations and nest-keeping, sprucing it up with green branches, plenty of aerating. The usual attentive duties. :>

I would like to note, that whilst Helju attended to her own needed nutrition, she still occasionally presented food to her beloved eaglet, but beloved refused due to being well sated.
akle

Post by akle »

Thanks for very detailed update, it is apparent that the eaglet is well cared for so I will relax and return to the site now and then to follow development of the fledgling to be.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

deleted
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

May 17

14:43 little is calling

14:43 empty crop
sigge

Post by sigge »

May 15

4:27 Helju off
#1 and #2 sleepy and warming each other.
Ravens

Post by Ravens »

Liz01 wrote: May 17th, 2022, 1:15 pm you're joking right? You got personal and publicly accused me of spreading misinformation in a very rude way!. Nobody else!

This is what I provided! I linked it!
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 38#p250838

You are now welcome to tell Felis Silvestris that she has spread misinformation about golden eagles being obligate cainists. I am not responsible for collections of links.

I told you your links collection doesn't belong here! You could have added them to Felis Silvestris' collection of links in case there were any new findings!
Yes, you linked to a misinformed list to support your argument. I pointed out that the actual links beneath that list do not agree with the list. You refuse to acknowledge this, to this day. Folks can read for themselves how this discussion came about. We don't need to keep circling the drain. Nor will I necromance a thread from 2013 when the impetus and live discussion is here. It is pertinent to this nest. Others may wish to learn too. As we observe behaviors we can discuss them. Anyone should be welcome to do so.

Anyone is welcome to challenge me. Being averse to being wrong, is being averse to learning. I want to learn. Please provide solid evidence to the contrary. Citations from research papers, quotes from experts, etc.

Or less dry material such as this: https://www.youtube.com/user/AccSpec/videos - archives of video clips from the only public live streaming golden eagle nest cam in the United States. There has been a camera on this nest for 15 years. It's in Whychus Canyon near Sisters, Oregon. As you can see from the clips, this pair raises up plenty of eaglets, two at a time. Golden eagles are facultative cainists, after all.

I'll help.
Whychus fledges and Metolius follows her out! 7/24/19 Sisters Oregon Golden Eagles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6OjSXpFpyg
sisters 2018 07 01 2nd eaglet to nest and both depart 5 min (Aries and Charity)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcbwzinULZI
Golden Eagles Sisters Oregon Competing for food 6-7-2015 - (Fluffy and Goldy) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J72997jR5KM
Golden Eagles, Sisters Oregon, 6-8-13, Food drop - (Needles and Goldie) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoKYzX48q-E
Golden Eagles, Whychus, Sisters Oregon, 06-08-2012, Rocky says 'Just follow your Mother and me'. (Fluffy and Styx) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2cxXSY8Kug
Golden Eagles...3 Sisters Wilderness area...June 15, 2011...8:15 PM (Unknown names) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2O4OZXH1SA

One nest. Now, I will make another post in a moment, on the going's on at Helju and Kalju's nest. <3
Ravens

Post by Ravens »

2022-05-17.

As Hatch Day is Day 0, we are now on Day 22. We have a 3 week old eaglet sprouting through Week 4.

The following is not a comprehensive list of the days events, though I tried to note each feeding.

At 06:11:09, Helju feeds her eaglet.
07:59:19 - Kalju alights on the nest with something in his beak that appears more edible than vegetative. It is pretty small, however.
08:10:55 - Eaglet is fed.
09:23:01 - Eaglet is fed.
11:36:46 - Eaglet is fed.
14:08:24 - The eaglet appears to be attempting to feed self. There is stabbing and a gobbling motion.
14:09:31 and 14:11:10 - Again?
14:14:15 - Eaglet tugs hard at the carcass, it moves.
14:42:36 - After napping alone for a spell, Helju zips by vocalizing. It wakes eaglet who calls out for her.
14:45:03 - When Helju returns it is with a green conifer branch.
15:47:39 - Eaglet tugs at the carcass again, this time in Mom's presence.
15:48:23 - Helju moves the carcass.
15:48:59 - She feeds it to her precious one.
19:13:09 - The final feeding that I could be sure of, though it took some enticing on Helju's part as her eaglet is full-cropped.

Goodnight Soomaa.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

May 18

Raven, you are just pushy! You didn't understand anything!
I see that you have set your Google results again. Unfortunately, this is completely irrelevant! This this thread is about nest life and not about Google results!
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

eaglet has already pin feather

big wing :2thumbsup:

15:22 and it can stand :headroll:

15:19 Helju went on the curved branch and flew away

15:30 little is walking again and fell on it's head
16:21 parent landed on the rear branch. I think it is Helju
16:24 she jumps on the curved branch .. eaglet is chirping.
16:25 she came down into the nest. The pantry seems empty
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

16:32 she is calling - eaglet is chirping
16:33 She starts feeding her eaglet

I think Kalju was here... I have to check it

16:39 she plucks the prey! I see feathers
16:47 she is still feeding the little one
17:03 she is still feeding the eaglet
17:08 feeding is over
hahe_

Post by hahe_ »

Hi everyone! :wave:

Omg this little chick all of a sudden looks sooo big! :loveshower:
Ravens

Post by Ravens »

Liz01 wrote: May 18th, 2022, 3:23 pm May 18
Raven, you are just pushy! You didn't understand anything!
The feeling is mutual.
Liz01 wrote: May 18th, 2022, 3:23 pm May 18

I see that you have set your Google results again. Unfortunately, this is completely irrelevant! This this thread is about nest life and not about Google results!
Those are YouTube links. They are archives of nest clips, just as you share on your YouTube account. If experts couldn't convince, I was hoping the birds themselves could. Alas. I observe the golden eagle nest in Whychus Canyon as well. It is active now, has been with a slightly older eaglet. Hatched on April 11th during a storm and subsequently named, Stormy. These are the only two active (raising young) nests available for public viewing this year, as far as I am aware.

Onto the days events. 2022-05-18.

06:58:14 - Helju tracks an aerial passerby and sends piercing calls at it.
08:28:19 - Feeding eaglet from carcass hidden behind the tree.
09:16:21 - Helju again tracks a flier. Her vocalizations contain a rattle tone amidst the sharper projections.
11:05:05 - After a rest with her eaglet, she takes flight.
12:43:40 - When Helju returns with a branch, we can see that she has a large stuffed crop.
12:53:12 - Helju picks up the old orange-footed waterfowl carcass hidden behind the tree and moves it to the other side of the nest.
13:23:32 - She leaves.
13:32:52 - A parent arrives. Kalju, is that you? I can't be sure. Too blurry. S/he rouses and relaxes along a branch at the far end of the nest.
13:39:42 - Maybe-Kalju hops to a much thinner, springy branch above the waterfowl carcass, then over to the rightmost curved perch.
13:42:49-13:43:49 - Could-be-Kalju then hops into the nest for but a moment.
13:55:56 - And leaves. For a total of 23 minutes at the nest.
16:21:52 - Helju returns.
16:33:25 - She feeds her eaglet from the waterfowl carcass.
19:20:25 - Kalju arrives and is greeted with very sharp, percussive vocalizations from Helju.
There is a rattle in a couple; right before and as his left wing sweeps over her head. I suspect he surprised her.

Goodnight wild ones of Soomaa. Fierce and beautiful. Golden.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

May 19

Good Morning :hi:

5:19 Helju is on the curved branch
5:20 she flew off
5:36 she is back with a huge green twig

5:37 big crop :2thumbsup:

5:41 she flew off again
5:43 she returned with a twig
5:46 and off again
5:50 she is on the curved branch and is calling. Little is calling too
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

5:54 Helju flew off again
6:16 she landed on the curved branch
6:45 she is still there

6:57 :innocent:

7:10 Helju came down into the nest, then she flew off
7:10 little eaglet and she are talking

7:14 Kalju brings a huge branch
7:17 went on the curved branch. Helju & little are asking for food all time :laugh:
7:18 it sounds like Helju is flying around
Kaljus beak
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

7:23 Helju came home, she brought a huge green twig
Kalju flew off

7:24 she took a bone? from the nest bowl, went on the curved branch and flew off with it. Eaglet is doing a healthy ps
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

7:32 Helju returned home. I see a huge crop on her :puzzled: EDIT: it was just her wing - still very blurry sight!
she starts working with a huge branch

7:46 big yawn

7:54 little one is sleeping. Helju is guarding her chick. she is in the nest

big!

8:14 Helju jumps on the curved branch and flew away
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

8:14 little is looking at mom

8:16 preening :innocent:

8:25 little is sleeping
8:28 Helju is calling from outside the nest

Return to “Golden Eagle Webcam Forum”