Black Stork Nest in Karula 2022

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Anne7

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula 2022

Post by Anne7 »

Swenja wrote: May 18th, 2022, 10:09 pm
21:54 Karl II has made dark PS on the curved trunk. :shock:
Usually, the colour of their faeces is related to their diet. I suppose that their usual fish meals are the cause of the usual white droppings. We also saw, as far as I remember, occasionally greenish and sometimes yellowish faeces (maybe frogs?). But I don't remember any very dark ones like this. :puzzled:
I hope that Karl II just ate something rather unusual - but healthy - (maybe something vegetable or an unusual prey?) and that this caused dark droppings.
We have to keep an eye on it, because I read that there are also diseases that cause a strange colour. :unsure:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

There were black pieces. Just as one would expect from indigestible.
:nod: We have to watch.
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

May 19

Good morning!

07:13 Who disturbs Karl II?
Karl II responds with a mixture of hissing, rattling and singing. He covers the eggs and doesn't get up.
Maybe something is climbing on the tree trunk.

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

PS looks bright again this morning. :thumbs:

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

10:11 Karl II sings briefly.

Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello :hi:
10:37 Kaia :loveshower:
She’s late today.

I’ll prepare a few pics.

Greeting.

Do you already leave, Karl? Will you bring some nesting material today?

Karl II flies out. Kaia takes care of the eggs.

When did Karl II lose that dangling feather? I didn't notice it yesterday either. :puzzled:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Karl II fetches nesting material.

Hello @Anne7 :wave:
Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Swenja :D :wave:

10:45 Karl II brings more grass/moss. :thumbs:

He steps on Kaia's tail. :whistling:

Kaia is pleased with the gift. Was that a kiss? :D

10:45 Karl II flies out again
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

10:48 Karl II brings a big forked branch 8-)

Not easy to find the right place for it...
Meanwhile, the work supervisor keeps an eye on everything. 8-)

10:48 Karl II flies out again
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

10:51 Karl II brings a bunch of straw-like stuff (with some ferns)
https://up.picr.de/43635598pu.jpg

10:56 He brings moss
https://up.picr.de/43635599aj.jpg

11:00 Karl II brings a little wet(?) nesting material.
It really isn't much. Maybe he lost some of it in flight?

Kaia seems happy with it anyway. :2thumbsup:

11:00:45 Oops, Karl II did another (quite small) PS with very dark bits. :unsure:
(I couldn't get a better pic of it)

Karl II flies out.
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

11:05 Karl II is back with a long and straight stick.

Kaia helps. :D

11:06:59 Karl II leaves. It looks like he went fishing now.

Kaia is on duty.
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Anne7 wrote: May 19th, 2022, 10:39 am When did Karl II lose that dangling feather? I didn't notice it yesterday either.
The hanging feather must have been gone since May 15th. I last saw her on the evening of May 14th.

Many thanks for the beautiful pictures! :thumbs:
Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

OK, thank you Swenja. :thumbs:
I am glad that Karl II has got rid of that feather. It was probably quite uncomfortable.
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

:D
touch with right

touch with left
Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Swenja wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:46 pm :D
touch with right
touch with left
Great! :thumbs: :D
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Kaia greases her feathers 8-)

Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Great pics, Swenja! :thumbs:

In regard to touching the eggs, this article:

VIBRATIONS AND TOUCH IN BIRDS

Birds have contact and touch sensors on various parts of their bodies.
These include their feet, bills and tongues
(i.e Woodpeckers).

This relates to the fact that it is these parts of their bodies which most often come into contact with the rest of the world. In some birds the tactile sensors are particularly well developed in the beak, allowing them to feed mostly by probing and feeling for prey. This is most evident in waders.

Birds also have special small feathers called bristles, which are situated all around the body and which help birds know where their feathers are.

Some birds also have a large numbers of vibration sensors called ‘Herbot’s corpuscleslocated in their legs.

These allow them to detect the approach of other birds or predators, along both the ground and on the limbs of trees.

Herbot’s corpuscles have also come to play a role in the nuptial displays of certain species of grouse. This ability to detect very faint vibrations has also been suggested as a reason why birds seem to know when an earthquake is about to happen – before we humans have any idea about it.

Source: https://www.earthlife.net/birds/touch-2.html
Already posted in 2018, here: https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 96#p578896
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Thanks @Anne7 that makes sense. :thumbs:
Black storks actually seem to get information from the eggs by touching with their toes.
Kaia is particularly careful when touching the eggs.

Karl II sometimes clatters the eggshells with his beak. It is known from studies with other birds that embryos already communicate with the outside world in the egg. I think that clattering on the egg could also help the development of the embryos, like the sounds of the parents, the rolling of the eggs and other things.
Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Yes, Swenja, you are right. It seems to be proven that embryos "communicate" with their parents. :nod:
For example, it seems to be very useful for the survival and development of chicks to already learn/understand the alarm calls of their parents while still inside the egg.

Even the embryos of the same clutch seem to exchange information among each other.

Simply amazing! :rolleyes:

Study suggests embryos communicate with each other while still inside the egg

It's generally understood that birds and other oviparous (egg-borne) critters receive sensory information from outside the shell to prepare them for the world beyond the nest. Now new research from University of Vigo in Galicia, Spain, suggests that gull embryos are able to acquire environmental information from their egg-bound siblings as well.

In recent years it's been shown that baby turtles can signal each other with vibrations to trigger synchronized hatching, and some birds and reptiles can do the same kind of thing with vocalizations from within the shells, but researchers Jose Noguera and Alberto Velando wanted to know how this egg-to-egg chit-chat might influence more complex factors.

The researchers found that chicks not only hear and respond to the alarm calls of their parents while still inside the egg, but that once hatched, those same chicks were developmentally and behaviorally different to chicks who'd never been exposed to the adult alarm calls.
That on it's own is interesting, but what happens when an egg that's been exposed to parental alarm calls is placed into a clutch with another egg which hasn't ever heard these vocalizations? The second egg develops in similar ways to the first. Thus, it seems some kind of communication between embryos is happening, most likely through vibratory cues.

The team used a simple but effective study design to test its theory. …

… Once hatched, the researchers measured a range of early behavioral and developmental traits in the chicks. The data showed that the embryos that had shared a nest with siblings exposed to the alarm calls developed in the same manner as their siblings. Compared to the calm, white-noise control group (and their clutch-mates) they took longer to hatch, were quieter than the control group, crouched lower when exposed to perceived threats and were smaller overall with shorter legs.

In short, these chicks developed specific, defensive traits as if they'd heard the warning calls themselves. According to Noguera and Velando, this strongly suggests that information about predation risk was being transmitted between siblings, possibly via observed vibrations of embryos in the test group.

Source: https://newatlas.com/embryo-eggs-commun ... ons/60733/

A paper on the research has been published in the journal Nature Ecology & Evolution.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-019-0929-8
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Karl II is not back yet.
Kaia lifts the eggs, loosens the nest floor, does a nice stretch, PS and covers the eggs again.

Many thanks @Anne7 you really are an encyclopedia. :thumbs:
It's good that you can always cite the sources.

I read something about it at some point and immediately forget where I read it. :blush:
Freedom!

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”