Following Karls' Families

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Anne7

Re: Following Karls' Families

Post by Anne7 »

June 11th

Udu didn’t send data today.

Next date session expected tomorrow.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 11th
Pikne's transmitter didn’t send data.

“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 12th

Udu didn’t send data this morning.

— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 12th

— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 13th

Udu sent again data this morning.

But once more, the data - last shown location and time - is still the same as what we received on June 6, June 8 and June 10.
04.02.2022, near the settlement Tiroungoulou in the Vakaga prefecture of the Central African Republic.

OrniTrack still indicates: battery status: 0%

The next data session is expected tomorrow
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 13th

Our Pikne perished a week ago, probably in the (late?) evening or night of June 6. The transmitter has been silent since June 7 in the evening. If Pikne's remains and transmitter have not been recovered by now, I doubt that anything will ever be found.
There are wolves, bears, lynxes, feral dogs, vultures… living in the central Anatolia Region in Turkey (says internet). And also many other (smaller) predators and scavengers.
Pikne's body may have been dragged a long way, to some burrow or nest to feed someone’s cubs. And these transmitters are small.
— Irene Pepperberg
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

About PIKNE

Some searchers tried to find Pikne and the transmitter, but were not successful.

Urmas sent this to me -
Looking the photos from the place, I don't believe better success for some other team. Landscape is very much open there around, any marks (like feathers) of stork had to be easily visible. Think, somebody picked up the carcass, either human or bigger animal and brought somewhere else. No more transmissions, that indicates possible under ground position since late 7th or 8th. Means no more data since 7th evening, one week already.

Last data in 7 June 17:26. Most probably the carcass was dragged away during the night between 7th and 8th of June, but it was there not touched since early morning of 6th of June. Something happened to Pikne after 17:38 (6 June) and before 2:26 (7 June). Seeing the pictures about power lines there, I can speculate about collision and /or electrocution late evening in 6th and taking the carcass by some predator to predators burrow during night between 7th and 8th of June and day of 8th. Not sure, but data show such possibility.

Last charging of battery in mid day 6th (13:40), seems that weather was that day not the best and no more charge later. During 7th June transmitter could be under dead body, because no charging. Other sides, temperature was very high before noon in 7th (up to 52 deg C). That may be strong sun shine to the body or position in closed car exposed to the sun.

Will inform Soner and others about.

On this occasion the searcher was Fahri Tunç, a nature photographer.
sova

Post by sova »

:hi: thanks Jo for the info
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 14th

Many thanks for the interesting information and pictures, Jo and Urmas!
And many thanks also to Fahri Tunç. :thumbs:

UDU sent again data this morning.

But once more, the last shown location and time is still the same as what we received on June 6, June 8, June 10 and June 13
04.02.2022, near the settlement Tiroungoulou in the Vakaga prefecture of the Central African Republic.
OrniTrack still indicates that the battery status is 0%
Hopefully, that battery will one day be properly recharged.

I now see that the missing data from Udu's flight across the desert (last autumn) is being completed in very small steps. (At that time, we only received brief and incomplete data from the last part of that flight, via SMS.)
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 15th

UDU didn’t send data today.

The next date session is expected tomorrow.
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 16th

UDU didn’t send data today.

The next date session is expected tomorrow.
— Irene Pepperberg
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Sorry, I was away and read only now the forum.
I did not have direct communication to Fahri Tunç, the searcher of Pikne, but got that information through Solo, former member of forum.
But Fahri (don't know what is first name?) could express his thoughts directly here by himself.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

About Udu I was informed by Ornitela that last GSM signal is got from south Turkey, somewhere around Iskanderun. But no more data as battery is empty.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Urmas wrote: June 16th, 2022, 8:47 pm ..But Fahri (don't know what is first name?) could express his thoughts directly here by himself.
Urmas, I got a message from my friend. But there is nothing news.

Liz,thank you. But I am really so sorry that can not help :(( with my friend about 3 hours we are searching but cannot find it. It was much raining day before every where was wet. Try to search 500m north 500m Wes 500m south 500m east. I means very large place we have check it. Again so sorry. Have a nice day. Stay with birds
Fahri Tunç
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 19th

Thank you for the information, Urmas. :hi:

It is a big relief that Ornitela could see that the last GSM signal from UDU came from the area of Iskenderun.
So s/he is still alive and has chosen the best route to travel northward again this spring. :2thumbsup:

By now, Udu will probably already have moved on.
May s/he have better luck than PIKNE

Yesterday and the day before (17 and 18 June) UDU's transmitter tried to send data again, but (on OrniTrack) the last shown location and time are still the same as in all previous data sessions (Central African Republic). Battery level is still 0%.
Today, UDU's data session failed.

Hopefully Udu's battery will recharge.
Maybe it should wash its legs first and then have a sunbath? :D

Welcome to the forum, Fahri Tunç!
Thank you very much for all the effort you and your friend put into finding Pikne! :thumbs:

Thanks for the info, Liz :hi:
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 20th

Once again, UDU's transmitter has (attempted to) transmit data.
But the last location and time shown are still outdated (Central African Republic on 04.02.2022)
Battery status: 0%

— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 22nd

Once again UDU's transmitter tried to send data.
But the last location and time shown are still in the Central African Republic on 04.02.2022

Battery status still 0% :faint:

I wish we knew where our UDU is now.
Hopefully the battery problem gets resolved.

Edit:
The data sessions on 23, 24, 25 and 26 June failed.
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 27th

But the last location and time shown are still in the Central African Republic on 04.02.2022
Battery status still 0%

Edit:
The data sessions on 28 June failed.
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

June 29th

Battery status still 0%
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

Hello everyone
Anne....a question; would it help to write to the Ornitela... call... or I don't know what, to ask, if they have more information?

Return to “Migration Maps and News”