Estonian Eagle Owl Nest 2022, 2023, 2024

Estonian Eagle-Owl Nest

Moderator: ame

Askja

Re: Estonian Eagle Owl Nest 2022, 2023

Post by Askja »

22:35 Hahaha, this was funny! :D

Towards the end of feeding, #2 decided he could manage the rest alone and pulled on the prey.

Hanna held on tight with one claw, and #1 looked very interested from behind.

In the end, all participants pulled in different directions, the roof post being a sturdy hindrance in the middle!

#1 was the winner and took the prey away. The roof post got nicely bloodied in the process, if you see that tomorrow and wonder - nobody has been murdered here :rotf:

22:36 Hanna flies away. After she left there is still much haggling over the prey, #3, as cheeky as ever, tries to steal it several times.
22:53 Night view comes on.
“Animals, like us, are living souls. They are not things. They are not objects. Neither are they human. Yet they mourn. They love. They dance. They suffer. They know the peaks and chasms of being.” (G. Kowalski) Caveat: Apart from this remarkable sentence I do not agree with his philosophies.
Askja

Post by Askja »

00:28 Again not much has happened in the last one and a half hour. #1 had finished eating his prey and the owlets have settled for a rest. All are flat and sleeping now.
01:45 Wow! Hanna brings a huge prey! She just manages to land it on the nest, but seems to be very exhausted, she cannot drag it to the pantry. What is it? Must be a large water bird! Maybe it is better to recognise in daylight. Hanna takes a minute to catch her breath, then begins to pluck the bird and feed the two younger owlets.

01:45
01:45
01:46
“Animals, like us, are living souls. They are not things. They are not objects. Neither are they human. Yet they mourn. They love. They dance. They suffer. They know the peaks and chasms of being.” (G. Kowalski) Caveat: Apart from this remarkable sentence I do not agree with his philosophies.
Askja

Post by Askja »

01:52 Feeding is finished. Finally, Hanna does haul the heavy bird to the pantry but with great difficulties and the help of her wings.

01:52
01:53

01:53 Hanna flies away. The older owlets have a look and a peck at the large prey but are probably somewhat disheartened by its size. Then they settle down for another time of resting.
02:22 Hanna comes in with another prey of a more convenient size. She puts it in the corner and flies away again.
03:00 The owlets are doing nothing in particular but there is a lot to watch in the forest. It is already getting bright and the birds of the forest begin to sing.

Good night! :wave:
03:06 :offtobed:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Good Morning :hi: Askja, thanks a lot for great reporting and pictures. I have to read back

3:11 #3 is doing wing exercises
the others are busy with a prey. Tail feathers are growing nicely on #1
5:20 all are sleeping

5:59 Crows are calling

6:03 after a break Hanna is on the nest
she starts feeding the owlet. big bird- white belly with black and white wing feathers

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

She is feeding the owlets. Feeding takes more than 30 minutes. She is feeding the whole Trio. that was a great feeding :2thumbsup:
6:26

6:27 fresh meat

6:31 :D
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

6:38

6:39

6:39 feeding is over. she put the rest in her pantry
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Feeding video

8:42 camera went off
8:54 the stream is back
most of time they are resting in the corner

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

10:38 sleeping oowlets

11:12 beaking

11:15 ...the stream is working pretty unstable.
12:59 one is looking up

13:14 owlets are sleeping :innocent: :innocent:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

15:10 it looks like the oldest is preening #3 :innocent:

that is a preening

that's super cute :D
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

preening is over :laugh: EDIT: just a break . sibling continues preening

I will do a video. that's too cute
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

15:41 Hanna came home

she takes the prey and starts feeding the owlets

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

15:46 she takes another prey from her pantry
now she's feeding #1 & #2

15:48 #3 is hungry again :laugh: - beautiful WE by the oldest? Then it takes a bunch feathers and #3 rushed to the sibling and is begging
15:50 Spaghetti for the youngest

15:58 feeding is over

15:59 Hanna flies to the left
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

16:58 resting :sleeping:

17:15 two are awake

17:51 Owlet is bysy with a part of prey
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

18:00 a owlet swallows a part of prey
18:09 it still swallows that part of wing
18:12 all are busy with eating leftovers
18:12 a crow is calling nearby.
Askja

Post by Askja »

Good evening All; :hi: and many thanks, Liz!

18:32/33 that horrible growling noise again... strange how it always happens at roughly the same time of day in the same manner: the animal appears to be running and growling; the noise approaches and then diminishes fast in the distance.

Also unknown to me: at night, an animal in the forest is making an evenly rhythmic rasping noise, going on for hours. I'm sure I have heard that sound near rivers and lakes at home but never knew what it was. Liz... I'm sure you know who that is? (I'll put a timestamp here if I hear it again tonight). Edit: heard it, but too far away and not loud enough tonight, for example at 02:31:10.

Btw., I have been searching the internet to find the bird Hanna had brought last night. My best guess would be a common goldeneye (Bucephala clangula, Schellente)

18:33 #1 is still eating from the black and white bird, the other two are sitting quietly.
19:00 All three owlets are all sitting, resting and dozing.

The stream is very bad again!

20:00 all is quiet in the nest, one is flat out sleeping, the two others are deeply in thought about important owl matters. :wink:
20:34 #1 starts eating again from the b/w bird.
21:20 #1 has finished eating. Occasionally, #3 has been nibbling at the prey too.
Askja

Post by Askja »

21:30 #1 is eating again :laugh:.

21:32 What's the idea? Do you want to swallow the whole remainder of that bird at once? :shock:
Askja

Post by Askja »

22:28 our owlets are terrified: a WTE is calling very near! It doesn't take long and Hanna is seen flying over to the right. You can hear her scolding loudly.
22:31 the WTE and Hanna are still in a heated discussion. But the offender's voice seems slightly farther away now.
22;35 Hanna arrives at the nest, sits on the upper big branch.

22:28 Owlets are terrified

22:29 Hanna comes to the rescue

22:36 Hanna comes into the nest box and begins feeding #3.
22:46 Feeding is finished. A minute later Hanna flies away.
22:48 #1 is eating from a black-feathered prey.
22:57 Night view comes on.

23:30 the owlets are resting.
Askja

Post by Askja »

00:00 the owlets are still in resting mode.
00:37 Hanna brought a prey, a streaky coloured medium-sized bird. I think it was #2 who pulled it into the nest.
00:39 Hanna comes into the nest box, takes the prey, and starts feeding #3. I can hear beak clacking from the others.

00:43 Feeding in progress. Hanna raises her head almost to the ceiling and #3 has to stretch himself really hard to reach up. Why is she doing this? To avoid the snapping beak of the owlet?

00:45 #1? has taken over the remainder of the prey and is eating from it. A moment later Hanna flies away.

00:58/59 #1 is preening the others again, soo sweet! 😍 Could that be a sign that it is a female? Perhaps not - barn owl couples do preen each other, and with eagle owls we just did not have much opportunities to watch the couples together.
To drive the unscientific remarks a little bit further: I admit that I have thought for some time now that #1 and #3 are females, due to their determined behaviour, and #2 a male.
It's too bad that the stream is so jumpy that you cannot watch things even for a minute. :sad:

01:15 Hanna brings another large prey, a furry looking black one. She had brought such a one before, I think.

01:16 Hanna has taken the heavy prey to the back panel and leaves immediately.

I have an idea what this prey could be... a raccoon-dog pup? They are dark brown to black! That might also explain the upset behaviour of these animals in the forest (running and howling)!
Askja

Post by Askja »

01:25 the owlets are sleeping.
02:07 two owlets have woken up and watch something very interesting to the right.
02:40 all owlets are awake now and peer to the right. What might they be seeing?
02:57 the owlets have been sitting long enough. Now there is a general getting up and stretching wings.

02:59 #1? walks over to the black furry prey and has a go at it. #3 (in the foreground) looks expectantly - with tilted head - if there might be an occasion for him to steal something :D

03:00 I think it was #2 who had tried his luck with the furry prey, but soon gave up. #1 has found another piece of prey and is eating from that.

02:59 Ah, no, I was completely wrong - the black prey is not furry because it has bird's feet! I'm sorry! :slap: But it was so large and heavy - a raven then?

So I better go :offtobed:
03:06 :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Good Morning :hi: Askja, thank you so much :2thumbsup: :bow:

3:39 nothing happens. Owlets are looking to us. Little one is hissing

3:44 #2? is eating

4:43 the camera switched in daylight mode. There was no parent on the nest till then

5:10 all are resting, sleeping

Return to “Estonian Eagle Owl Nest 2022”