Let's hope for a good surprise :thumbs:
ame

Post by ame »

hello Abigyl and all!
i'm rather enjoying my time off. :laugh: :whistling:

Vērotāja has posted some new information in DDF on 15th May at 21:15
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... a8#p368289

the part concerning us (GT'ed):
... I wrote to Jānis Ķuze, from his reply I understood that most likely (?) ringing will not take place in this nest and we should place all our hopes on precipitation. The rain will certainly not clear the sensor completely, but it would be good if at least silhouettes became visible.
thank you for the information Vērotāja and Jānis!

last night it rained a lot more than the night before and now we have gained some visibility in the top right (almost) quarter of the picture. we can see the top branches and part of the sky plus a short section of the horizon on the opposite side of the meadow/lake. the left side of the picture is still covered with some thicker goo. Big didn't hit the exactly in the centre of the picture. the most concentrated part of the shot landed left of the intersection of the diagonals.
ame

Post by ame »

17:29:09 another 'accident' happened with the camera and the recently regained view was blurred again. this time the white paint seems to be thicker and more even and opaque that it was after the first shot. :mrgreen:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame, I thought, there is no point in Janis cleaning the lens, because it could happen again at any time. I didn't think it would happen after we could see a bit after the rain :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

hello!

yesterday afternoon the stream was frozen for about 20 min. people in the chat were thinking that perhaps the stream was turned off. at 14:00 Latvian Nature Foundation (Latvijas Dabas Fonds, the channel owner) gave some information in the YT chat:
​Sveiki! Tiešraide nav atslēgta, ir tehniskas problēmas.
Skaidrosim, cik nopietnas un kā risināmas.
​Savukārt par gredzenošanu - Jānis Ķuze neplāno gredzenot putnus šajā ligzdā.
GT'ed:
"Hello! The live broadcast is not disabled, there are technical problems.
Let's explain how serious they are and how they can be solved.
As for ringing - Jānis Ķuze does not plan to ring the birds in this nest."

this also means that the camera will not be cleaned. it would futile since it would probably be shot at again. i don't think that the 2nd poopshot will be the last.
edit: now i saw that Liz already pointed this out. :thumbs:

15:44 more information by Latvian Nature Foundation:
Tiešraides tehniskās problēmas pagaidām ir atrisinātas, bija problēmas ar saules uzlādes kontrolieri. Paldies mūsu tehniskā atbalsta cilvēkam Jānim Rudzītim, kurš šo atrisināja!
Tagad tikai jācer uz lietu, kas varētu padarīt skatu uz dzīvi ērgļu ligzdā skaidrāku 🙂
​Esam arī apsprieduši, vai ir vērts turpināt šo tiešraidi, ja nekas nav redzams, un palikām pie tā, ka tā netiks atslēgta.
​Klausāmies meža skaņas un gaidām lietu!
GT'ed:
"The technical problems of the live broadcast have been resolved for now, there were problems with the solar charge controller. Thanks to our technical support person Jānis Rudzīts, who solved this!
Now we just have to hope for a rain that could make the view of life in the eagle's nest clearer 🙂
We have also discussed whether it is worth continuing this live broadcast if nothing is visible, and we stuck to the fact that it will not be disabled.
We listen to the sounds of the forest and wait for the rain!"

in other words: they have decided to keep the stream running although we can't see much anything.
sova

Post by sova »

Good day
Too bad it doesn't show how capable a fisherman Voldis is.
I don't think anyone has been on this nest the way Robert was. (no offense meant).
ame

Post by ame »

hello Sova!
i also remember Robert with very warm feelings. he was a great fisherman. one must remember, however, that he had only two beaks to feed: Durbe and Durbertina, but i'm sure that he could have taken care of a larger family as well.

i always remember how proud Robert looked when he stood on the side of the nest when Durbe had laid her first egg. he had been out of the nest while she was in labour and she was sleeping when Robert came afterwards. she was too tired to get up and show Robert what she had, nevertheless Robert seemed to know exactly what had happened. :rolleyes:

later he brought the giant pike which nobody could eat and the fish simply rotted on the nest. it seemed like terrible waste. :laugh:

i was also so sorry to see him alone next spring, waiting for Durbe in vain. it was really heartbreaking to see him fly away for the last time.
sova

Post by sova »

ame wrote: May 19th, 2023, 3:44 pm ....
i was also so sorry to see him alone next spring, waiting for Durbe in vain. it was really heartbreaking to see him fly away for the last time.
that's right ame....it hurt immensely
Durbe and Robert have a special place in my heart :sad:
...and the little devil, anyway :D
ame

Post by ame »

good morning!
some updating of the present situation. :rolleyes:

in 2019 the eaglets Rika and Miks hatched on April 17 (about; the exact time is not known) and April 18 while this year the eaglets hatched on April 13th and April 16th. so on May 31 2019 the eaglets were about the same age as our eaglets now.
ame wrote: May 31st, 2019, 9:55 am ...
two question marks: "what should we do now??"
:mrgreen:

is this the next paragraph in the teaching plan or syllabus: to learn to self-feed? :puzzled:
in the past few days i think i have heard eating sounds: chrunching and munching without cheeping. this probably means that at least Big is learning to eat by herself.
Rika and Miks started making wing exercises in the turn of April/May. this year i heard the first wing exercise on May 21st at 21:41, so that was at and earlier stage than in 2019.

in 2015 Durbertina hatched on April 15th and she was ringed on May 26th. Durbe got upset about the visit at the nest and didn't return home after this except for few very short visits. Durbertina had not eaten herself before this but she turned out to be quite capable of it. she began to do it since she didn't get Durbe's service anymore. earlier she didn't need to even try it.

Big and Small would so be in the ringing age now. however it seems that Jānis chose wisely when he decided not to climb to the nest for to ring the eaglets and clean the lens. The eaglets were too small for ringing yet when Big shot the camera the first time. it was also feared that the parents might find the suddenly reappearing camera as frightening and would not return to the nest. it was also anticipated that the camera would very probably be soiled again so the cleaning would give only temporary help. later it turned out that this was exactly so: on May 16th at 17:29 the camera was shot again, and later two days ago on May 28 at 8:16 another shot hit the lens.
Inguna in the YT chat noticed this. thank you Inguna! the camera was already covered with such a thick layer of guano on it that a new shot was difficult to see. now it's even worse. :slap:

Big has been heard spanking Small every now and then. the latest time that these spanking sounds were heard was also two days ago on May 28 at 20:22. Digna125 wrote a remark of this in the YT chat. thank you Digna125!
fortunately this beating does not happen often any more but on the other hand this is about the only way to know that both are there! the other way is to hear two poopshots close to each other, but this is more difficult that hearing spanking sounds.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

MAY 31st

Thanks Ame for all the research and info :thumbs:

I can hear strong rain and lightings...
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

12:39 Big is calling loud and clear :whistling:

Sounds like lunch?
bobbcat

Post by bobbcat »

:wave:

Today a bit after noon, sounds of eating & small whining. I think he is still really little.
AlteEule

Post by AlteEule »

Hello,
is there no more news since 01. June ?

Greetings
AlteEule
There is always a hidden smile ...
Florinda

Post by Florinda »

Hi all! How the chicks can look today on the example of the 2020 chicks:
ame

Post by ame »

hello AlteEule, Florinda and all! :hi:
and thank you Florinda for the picture! :thumbs:

there isn't actually much to tell. we had the much awaited rain yesterday and the day before. it rained two days and the night but there was no wind so only a few drops hit the lens. anyway yesterday afternoon the we got some transparency in the top right and top centre. we can see branches swing there. also a tiny slice of the top left corner is visible (or should i rather write "visible" in quotes; there isn't much transparency there). we still have to listen and try to guess what is going on.

landings of parents are usually well audible, especially when they bring food. besides the landing sound the eaglets also begin to cry loud when a parent comes. take-offs are not nearly as easy. especially if Milda (i guess it's usually she) has first jumped to the top branch she can easily take off from there with almost no sound. only little wind can hide her leaving. I believe that Voldis makes only express deliveries: in and out within 10 s, accompanied by loud screaming of the eaglets. :mrgreen:
btw: Milda hasn't flown in after him at least for a week any more. earlier she flew screaming in and cried on the nest as long as Voldis was there. after he left she stopped crying and began feeding the eaglets. nowadays the eaglets eat by themselves.

the eaglets are making wing exercises every now and then, sometimes even very vigorously. i think that for about a week or two i have also heard sounds which may be branching attempts and also successful branching. this morning i think i heard a certain branching.
at 5:21:32 there was a sound which was very probably a jump to the left branch, together with a wind waving on the left side.
5:23:21 rustling on left branch and some shadows and movement on the left: the eaglet probably turned around on the left branch.

5:32 an eaglet talked (i have no idea which).
5:33:53 the eaglet jumped from the left branch to the nest.

5:36 wing exercise.
5:39 again.
5:42 more. :D
ame

Post by ame »

at 6:09 was an example of the express visit (made by Voldis i think; i have no way of knowing for sure which parent it was).
6:09:36 landing, preceded by loud crying by the eaglets.
10 s later take-off. eaglets continued crying for some time. maybe the parent (probably Voldis; Milda usually stays longer) just threw in some food.
the eaglets didn't start eating anything at least for a while.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame, take a look here :loveshower:
two beautiful strong eagles in the nest
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 76#p371976

Your documentation is great :bow: :headroll:

ame, you saw it already. :D I saw it on another Latvian camera.
ame

Post by ame »

a "postcard" from Jānis! :loveshower:
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 20#p371976
MĀRIS wrote: June 20th, 2023, 5:42 pm Labdien!
Sveiciens visiem no Jāņa Ķuzes un Durbertvillas!
Šobrīd Jānis taisa tehnisko apkopi stacijai, un ar lielo teleobjektīvu nofotografēja mums mazuļus! : P : P :P
Smukuči!!! : shock: : shock: :shock:
text by MĀRIS translated by GT.
"Good afternoon!
Greetings to everyone from Jānis Ķuze and Durbertvilla!
At the moment, Jānis is doing technical maintenance for the station, and he took pictures of the babies for us with the big telephoto lens! : P : P : P
Cuties!!! : shock: : shock: : shock:"

hahaha Liz, you were a minute faster than i! :rotf:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

they are such big and strong eaglets. :2thumbsup: right side eaglet with big beak :whistling:
ame

Post by ame »

i found them calling with two quite different voices this morning. they made similar calls but the first voice was a boy and the second voice was a girl
(at least it sounded like that to me. :whistling: )
6:41 the boy called.
6:46 the girl called.
6:58 the boy again. :rolleyes:

in the afternoon at about 14:25 i heard an eagle's call to another room (i was cleaning) and i thought it was Milda. i listened to the calls again and i think it was not Milda but the girl again.
(i haven't made that video yet).
(edit at 21:58) now i have a video of these calls. two voices again.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”