Black Stork Nests in Europe

Ciconia nigra cams and information
Liz01

Re: Black Stork Nests in Europe

Post by Liz01 »

9:26 both parents are still on nest! :thumbs:

​we know that the goshawks are also breeding at the moment. they need food for their chicks. 'I think at this time they are more dangerous than usual.
I also found it unusual that they attack even though parents are in the nest.I think he won't give up until he has all the chicks. We've seen it in the past.
​however, the chicks were alone in the nest. I was sure if a parent had been there, nothing would have happened. Now I'm learning that it doesn't make much of a difference if parents are on nest..

BTW: This Goshawk is very clever. So a very experienced hunter. That's why he succeeds even though the nest was guarded.

the video from this event.

Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Liz01 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 10:27 am ….
​we know that the goshawks are also breeding at the moment. they need food for their chicks. 'I think at this time they are more dangerous than usual.
I agree, Liz.

As painful as it is to see this happen, goshawks obviously need food too. And during the breeding season they need a lot of food.

I have read that an average of 250 to 320 g of food per day per young goshawk must be brought in for them to fledge successfully (or 750 to 1000 g in total per day per nest). That makes about 60 to 100 kg of prey throughout the breeding season for an average clutch of about three! :shock:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Anne7 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 12:13 pm I agree, Liz....
Anne, thank you for your assessment of the situation.
I hope and keep my fingers crossed that nothing like this happens to Karl and Kaia Nest. There too, the goshawk has already done nest checks.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

I hope the same, Liz.

New Data on Black Stork Nest Predators in Latvia
Māris STRAZDS1 and Linda OSE 1,2
1 Laboratory of Ornithology, Institute of Biology, University of Latvia
2 Faculty of Geography and Earth sciences, University of Latvia

We used trail cameras to collect more accurate data on Black Stork phenology, to collect ring recoveries of adult birds and to improve knowledge on the behaviour of Black Storks in Latvia since 2011. The total amount of data to be used for analyses comprises 9,351 camera days, with 5,218 days of stork presence, 1,141,248 pictures in total. These data among other things also document numerous visits of predators and show some depredation cases in detail. The new data have changed our understanding of the significance of some of the known predator species, namely Goshawk Accipiter gentilis depredation is far more significant than was suspected earlier. Another important new finding is that many depredation cases are partial. This leaves some nests "depredated" but successful at the same time. Our data show that depredation during egg period is very strongly underrated and that partial depredation is most frequently not registered at all. We discuss the differences in patterns of attacks of various predator species and difficulties in discovering true causes of egg and/or chick loss during the breeding season.
http://forestiersdumonde.org/wp-content ... t-Book.pdf page 28
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
asteria

Post by asteria »

The first black storklet also hatched today in Notecka forest.
https://www.ciconianigra.sk/viewtopic.p ... 919#p16919
asteria

Post by asteria »

The youngest storklet in Lodz was perished accidentally on May, 17, yet before the goshawk appeared :slap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5_OAir2txk

I don't watch all the cams and have just known about the tragic event.

In Gallipoli also only two storklets of the four ones are alive.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Anne7 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 1:00 pm
Anne, :hi: It might be interesting for you too?

This is very interesting and confirms my assumption that Gaia bred with another male and met with Kaupo in their nest (camera). They met very often. Her brown belly showed that she has probably a brood . feathers were brownish color from the wet nest material.

Once again, the "marital fidelity" of storks is under question! Two days ago, "Skierka" met a stork at her former nest, where she had cubs with "Bolek" in 2022. We still have a camera mounted there. This male acts like a host, beaking the moss, ruffles his feathers, spreads his tail in a fan shape, and tries to encourage the female to mate. We don't know if it's Bolek or some other random free stork. However, Skierka avoids approaching this male and after a few minutes the birds leave the nest. The logger indicates that at the same time the female has her chicks in the nest with the male "Królewicz" 6 km away and so far she has not appeared at the old nest "at Bolek's". Perhaps it's a momentary acquaintance, or maybe a conscious strategy of meeting other males during the breeding season as a hedge of "friendship" for the future? A similarly surprising "date" already took place last year with Titan:

• Zaskakująca randk...
when did she just have chicks with male Bolek!? However, the male-female relationships in black storks are very complicated :-)

Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Liz01 wrote: June 10th, 2023, 5:31 pm Anne, :hi: It might be interesting for you too?
Thanks, Liz :hi:
Yes, it’s interesting. :nod:
— Irene Pepperberg
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Anne7 wrote: June 10th, 2023, 7:34 pmYes, it’s interesting. :nod:
Anne, Let's hope Kaia doesn't get those thoughts :laugh: But it's interesting. You have to reconsider things you've seen.
"empty nests" where there is only one male and every now and then a female comes by. Neither at the Latvian nor at Kergu's nest did I understand what was happening there.It could be that there is a similar situation at these nests.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Notecka forest, Poland: four storklets of the same age with the kids of K&K. All the four are OK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOy-x7xd3xg

Upd: there were two goshawk attacks today!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Upd 17.06: Yesterday evening goshawk knocked one more storklet out of the nest. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Skierka and her new nest in Bolewice N2000

Skierka, in its third breeding season, nests, as in 2021 and 2022, on a single old oak in a coniferous forest habitat. The nest is located in the Bolewice Forest Inspectorate in the Natura 2000 Area of ​​Lakes Pszczewskie and Dolina Obra. It was rebuilt by members of the Eagle Conservation Committee on March 14, 2023 as it had almost completely fallen down. The male returned from migration on March 21, and a day later she appeared at Skierka's nest.
On June 17, 4 chicks, aged about 35 days, were ringed in the nest. This time, adult birds are close (up to 2 km) to very attractive feeding grounds: mid-forest lakes, streams and wetlands. This is probably why all four chicks are in excellent condition and weighed 2.5 kg each.
BY ANDER
sova

Post by sova »

Liz01 wrote: June 18th, 2023, 7:36 am Skierka and her new nest in Bolewice N2000
:hi: Thanks Liz...I'm glad to hear about Skierka (Zolty)
Hopefully she stays with the young longer than last year. :rolleyes:
asteria

Post by asteria »

One storklet in Notecka forest was lost because of the goshawk's attack.
asteria

Post by asteria »

The second storklet was lost too at 6.47.56. :cry: :cry: :cry:

It looks like goshawks are smarter than people, who many years can't do anything to prevent their attacks apart from expressing deep concern.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

June 23

Notecka
the situation at the nest seems to be very bad. Lack of food discourages the parents from coming to the nest. The little ones were exposed to the rain for hours. They are totally soaked and weak. They are so weak that they could hardly react to the goshawk. It was easy for him to take one with him.

asteria

Post by asteria »

The storklets of such age can't defend themselves from goshawks at all. :cry:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

June 24

Noteka

6:20 storklets are attacked by the goshawk. great defending

Arrival parent with a branch. Parent chased the Goshawk away.

then great breakfast for the storklets :2thumbsup: I hope the two will survive :bow:

asteria

Post by asteria »

The storklets of Tonik and Tonichka:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1098007 ... 719577502/
balistar

Post by balistar »

July 1st

Notecka
Only one storklet remained :faint:
it happened yesterday morning at 07.09, when the goshawk took the third :cry:

13.05 :bow:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Here is the new nest of Skierka. Four ringed storklets with back transmitters.

Black stork online Bolewice N2000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G6ljgJ0Hes

Return to “Black Storks”