Moderator: ame

ame

Estonian White-tailed Sea Eagle Nest Camera 2020

Post by ame »

new WTE camera! thank you! :headroll: :laugh:

the view is designed for shy eagles.

welcome all eagle friends. :gathering:

General information

Like in previous years the camera is powered by solar panels which feed energy to batteries. The camera has a light sensitive switch which turns off the camera when it becomes too dark. In the morning the camera is automatically switched on again. This system is designed to secure transmission and save energy in case that in some days there is not enough sunlight to charge the battery enough.

Each day a new stream is started. You will find the stream address on the Youtube channel of the Eagle Club Estonia / Kotkaklubi:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCvBXT ... Saqd19N0Sg
ame

Post by ame »

reserved
ame

Post by ame »

i opened this topic as soon as the news about this new camera reached me and, of course, i was late. besides i didn't remember to lock the old topic. :slap: sorry about this. :blush:
here are the first posts which belong to this topic.
Triin wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 10:58 am White-tailed eagle Webcam 2020 here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCvBXT ... Saqd19N0Sg

This is a new pair and the place isn't close to the sea (more information soon). There are some branches obscuring the view, because this pair of eagles aren't used to being watched. We're extra cautious with WTE.
Marfo wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 11:05 am Thank you Triin! Exciting news :2thumbsup:
Liz01 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 11:23 am Triin, thank you very much for this new camera :2thumbsup:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Maybe it's vise to wait for eagles first and then start to produce information about.
We do not know particular pair, how they react on cam (though hided). The twigs in front of cam will probably drop away if winds start. But we will see if not too early.
Anyway we checked three different nests for to install camera, but no one was decorated by checking time. Also that hided one was untouched a week ago (last Wednesday), but yesterday already with fresh branches, about 50 pieces (of what 5 I stoled for to camoufly cam).
Not all cameras installed are successful as you know! But in this case you see everything just from beginning, also mistakes if they appear... And be free to say if something you notice wrong or suspicious. We have difficulties with saving stream at the moment.
ame

Post by ame »

thank you Urmas!

so we shall have to be patient and wait to see what will happen. :rolleyes:
please make a note here if you see or hear anything interesting, with as precise time as possible. i'll try to make videos from replays, and i hope that others will make them, too!
martinmiethke

Post by martinmiethke »

ame wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 11:21 am the view is designed for shy eagles.
:laugh:
Berit Tjernberg

Post by Berit Tjernberg »

Where is this cam located? Or are the eagles too shy to tell? :blush: :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

Berit :hi:
i think that Urmas is perhaps too shy to tell. he would like to see the eagles arrive first. :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

there were some lights in the horizon in the top right corner at the time when the camera turned off for the night.
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

thank you for the camera :2thumbsup:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

March 4

Good Morning :hi:

7:10 we have a better view now :loveshower:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Liz01 wrote: March 4th, 2020, 7:11 am ...
7:10 we have a better view now :loveshower:
[img]https://up.picr.de/38000188df.jpg[/ img]
Where did branches get to? :shock:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Sonchik wrote: March 4th, 2020, 7:38 am Where did branches get to? :shock:
As Urmas wrote.. blowing away by the wind :laugh:
Depending on how strong the wind gusts are, there are branches in the camera area.
ame

Post by ame »

good morning!
Liz01 wrote: March 4th, 2020, 7:11 am7:10 we have a better view now :loveshower:
Sonchik wrote: March 4th, 2020, 7:38 am Where did branches get to? :shock:
Liz01 wrote: March 4th, 2020, 7:42 am As Urmas wrote.. blowing away by the wind :laugh:
Depending on how strong the wind gusts are, there are branches in the camera area.
oh wow, that was quick! ... but i hope that the twigs did not drop too early. now we have to keep our fingers crossed that the eagles will not be afraid of the artificial black eye who is watching the nest.

i have not made an exact count but a while ago i estimated that certainly not more than one third of the eagles who visited the nest in Durbe have flown away directly after spotting the camera. i also have the gut feeling that the proportion of shy eagles is even lower. so let's wait to see what will happen. :2thumbsup:
Crissy

Post by Crissy »

Hello :wave:

Thank you for the new 2020 topic of Estonian White tailed eagles cam :2thumbsup: very much awaited since season 2018!

Hope to see inhabitants of this nest very soon :nod:
Berit Tjernberg

Post by Berit Tjernberg »

:rolleyes: :wave:
ame wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 4:29 pm Berit :hi:
i think that Urmas is perhaps too shy to tell. he would like to see the eagles arrive first. :laugh:
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

15.45:20 - 25 thought i heard an eagle - very brief
sova

Post by sova »

:hi:
laranjeiras wrote: March 4th, 2020, 3:47 pm 15.45:25 thought i heard an eagle - very brief
:nod:

also 15:45:12
ame

Post by ame »

i'm afraid that must disappoint you. i think that the first called belonged to a grey-headed woodpecker and the second call to a black woodpecker.
the recording is not perfect. i'll see if i can make a better one.

ok, now i made a new and longer recording of the voices. this begins at 15:44:00. here you can "tune yourselves" to listening the sounds here at this camera, to get acquainted to the soundscape. it will also save the soundscape for later listening.
first there was a tit (a great tit i think) talking near the camera for a long time. a woodpecker drummed (a greater spotted? i don't know what the drummings of different woodpeckers sound like).
at 1 min 10 s from the beginning the grey-headed woodpecker calls. at 1 min 25 s the black woodpecker calls.
besides these i heard other calls a little later they came from very far. i'm not certain who called. maybe an eagle? opinions? :help:
these calls were at 1 min 48 s from the beginning (15:45:47) and at 2 min 7 s from the beginning (15:46:06).

when i was looking for the stream i realized that the address is different every day since the stream is stopped every evening. you all seem to have remembered that. :laugh:
one needs to look up the YT channel of the Eagle Club Estonia and open the new stream there.
this is the address where to look:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCvBXT ... Saqd19N0Sg
sova

Post by sova »

ame wrote: March 4th, 2020, 4:40 pm ...
:hi: OK ... thanks Ame
... wrong again :D

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”