Re: Osprey nests in the UK

Post by seira »

Loch Garten, Scotland

August 5

09:19 huge breakfish from Axel

09:41 1C2 got the first right to eat
seira

Post by seira »

Blue KL5 is a first-year returner, he was ringed at a nest at the north end of Loch Ness in July 2020.

14:36 intruder KL5... 1C1 in the nest, 1C2 on the left tree

14:37 KL5 cute
seira

Post by seira »

14:37 KL5... come back again in 3 years
14:40
14:41 KL5 flew away
seira

Post by seira »

14:41 to the left tree top
14:55 1C1 tired
seira

Post by seira »

15:11 Asha brought a huge fish back, first time

15:31 Mom feeds faster
seira

Post by seira »

17:24 food coma :laugh:
17:27 something ?
17:31
seira

Post by seira »

18:05 alive fish from Axel
18:06 Asha back with her fish tail... Axel tries to get it, Asha say no politely
18:12 Mom feeding 1C2, 1C1 eating Dad's new fish...... and rainbow
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Birds of Poole Harbour, UK

The Poole Harbour Osprey Project
Restoring a breeding population of Ospreys to the South Coast through an exciting translocation project
Birds of Poole Harbour are partnered with the Roy Dennis Wildlife Foundation to deliver the Poole Harbour Osprey Translocation Project, aiming to restore a breeding population of these charismatic birds of prey to the South Coast. The project, which started in 2017, involves the translocation of 60 juvenile Ospreys from Scottish nests into the Poole Harbour area.

https://www.birdsofpooleharbour.co.uk/osprey/
Youtube: https://youtu.be/oy8gcx0Hi9M

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
seira

Post by seira »

Loch Garten, Scotland

August 8

we lost 1C1 :cry:

RSPB Video
​Hi folks, obviously we'll all utterly devastated here at LG at today's events. The only consolation is she's not suffering anymore, but it was incredibly hard to witness. That's nature, I guess...

RSPB Video
​We will be removing her tomorrow morning and sending her away for a post mortem. The camera will be switched off while we do so - from around 11:00 till 12:00.

https://www.facebook.com/RSPB.LochGarte ... 1Db4hjsgHl
We're sad to have to tell you that at lunch-time today the female chick, Blue 1C1, died on the Loch Garten nest. She had been lethargic for a couple of days and our worst fears were realised, when whatever it was that has been ailing her, proved fatal.
We are going to be removing her from the nest tomorrow morning at around 11am. The camera will be temporarily switched off and the Nature Centre will be closed until we have done so. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Such a sad day. Thank you for all your messages of support.
Here she is earlier on in July, trying to feed herself for the first time.

seira

Post by seira »

Loch Garten, Scotland

August 8

I love this nest, heartbreaking

seira

Post by seira »

good bye 1C1
seira

Post by seira »

Llyn Brenig, Wales

August 8

https://www.facebook.com/brenigospreypr ... zebJ7pDJCl
Bore Da!
Its a beautiful day up at Brenig, the first pic was taken at 6.30am with both youngsters on the nest with the early morning mist swirling around and the second later in the morning and as you can see the sun came out but the birds where elsewhere as they continue to hone their skills ready for migration next month.

seira

Post by seira »

Loch Garten, Scotland

August 19

https://www.facebook.com/RSPB.LochGarte ... oYaaXTxdxl
We got the initial results back from the post-mortem. Here is the blog for more info.
https://community.rspb.org.uk/placestov ... em-results

Hello bloggers,

We have had the initial results back from the tests run on the juvenile osprey 1C1. This osprey season has been one of great excitement and sadness. I believe the spectrum of emotions the birds inspire is why so many of us engage so passionately. Our ability to empathise and share in their successes and failures is what keeps me coming back each year.

I was away on leave when I received the news about the 1C1. It appeared from the webcam that they were generally lethargic and not feeding well for a few days leading up to when they collapsed.

This experience has tainted the remarkable season that we have had with the return of these birds but also shines a light on the struggles that ospreys face. It was difficult watching 1C1 struggle on the nest but being able to recover the body will give our team more closure than we experience from ospreys that never return from migration. Osprey’s need only to have one successful fledgling breed again to pass on their genes and we hope Asha and Axel will fledge many more chicks in the future.

After 1C1 died, we were able to retrieve the body to find the cause. Keeping in mind the current outbreak of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) this was carried out with very strict safety measures and full hazmat suits. The chick was then sent down to Edinburgh for testing.

We have now received the initial results. 1C1 tested negative for HPAI but did appear to have an enlarged liver which would suggest she was fighting an infection when she died. There was a theory that a possible pathogen had been passed to 1C1 from the little grebe that was brought onto the nest. The footage makes it difficult to say if this was a contributing factor. Asha ate most of the little grebe head with 1C1 attempting to feed on it.

Furthermore, the aggressive behaviour exhibited from 1C2 could also have exacerbated the issue as she became less able to compete for food. He was witnessed snapping and pecking at 1C1 and this meant she was unable to fight the infection on an empty stomach.

Whatever the reason, it looked like a combination of factors could have led to 1C1 dying on the nest on Monday 8th. There are more tests being done so if we receive any more information, I will let you know. We are now going to wait and hope that 1C2 will not meet the same fate with both parents having already left.
seira

Post by seira »

Loch Garten, Scotland

August 19

https://www.facebook.com/RSPB.LochGarte ... 669000156/
We haven't seen 1C2 this morning which is a promising sign that he has finally gone to find fish for himself. This made room for another hanger-on who has been seen around our nest for the past few weeks. KL5 is a male osprey that was ringed on north Loch Ness 2 years ago. Looks like he is making a play for the Garten nest and is even tidying it up!
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

seira :hi: I have watched this nest also and the outcome there makes me very sad. 1C1 was such an lovely chick. :cry:
And the final for 1C2 was also not well. Axel left much to early, the chick was very hungry and nobody came with fish for it. I guess it has less chances to survive, started with empty stomach and must learn to fishing for himself. That costs time and much energy.
I've never seen such behaviour from osprey parents before. :bow: :help:
Every season and every nest is different.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
seira

Post by seira »

Llyn Clywedog, Wales

ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL YEAR
https://johnwilliamswildlifeandlandscap ... sful-year/
by AUG 28, 2022 JOHN WILLIAMS

8/29 Dylan and Seren

8/30
seira

Post by seira »

8/31 Dylan
9/1

Good Luck
seira

Post by seira »

Loch Arkaig 2, Scotland

Good Dad Louis is still with Sarafina
Dorcha and Willow have started their migration

September 3

09:11
13:51
17:41
seira

Post by seira »

Loch Garten, Scotland

September 3

https://www.facebook.com/RSPB.LochGarte ... 021492705/
A surprise yesterday, when AX6 reappeared by the nest and spent an hour preening on the old dead tree. Where has he been these last few weeks? If he's not away on migration yet, what has he been up to? Has his chick 1C2 been with him?
A second osprey then appeared! Could this be 1C2? Or this an intruder, possibly the male KL5 that has been hanging around recently? Could this be a battle for the nest that will last into next season?

1C2's last figure still looks very spirited, although not full crop, I think Axel is feeding outside the nest and urging 1C2 to migrate. However, Axel returned home on 8/21 and stayed for a while, maybe 1C2 was still with him.
I love this nest, Asha and Axel are great parents, wish them safe migration.

8/18 1C2

8/21 Axel
seira

Post by seira »

8/21 Axel

family

Return to “Osprey”