Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2020

sova

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2020

Post by sova »

13:21 - Osprey flew off the cam onto the dead tree ... couldn't read rings

13:31 - warning calls (Ivo and one of the boys?)

UW flew to the nest and calls
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

13:21 A Goshawk :puzzled: landed on the dead tree, he flew over the nest (or is it UW?) EDIT: it was UW
13:29 A big bird? is flying around
13:33 UW flew to the left
13:34 UW landed on the nest, is calling
13:35 UW got a headless fish from Ivo and flew away in a hurry with the fish
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

13:34 UW was yelling for a fish and Ivo served his girl. Looks like UX didn't survived from the attack.
Kitarr

Post by Kitarr »

13:21 it was UW
13:35 Ivo brings a fish
UW leaves with the fish at 13:36

Still no sign of UX. I also think he didn't survive the attack. Or he got scared and is on his way to Africa. I guess we will never know for sure...
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Kitarr :wave: , thank you very much for clarification the bird flying at 13:21 :thumbs:
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

:hi: Hellem, Kitarr, Summi, thank you for your pictures and comments.
That really is a bad sign when this Goshawk is constantly watching this nest.
Kitarr I sincerely hope, that UX is still alive and on his way to Africa, but as you said, we'll probably never know :unsure:
Summi

Post by Summi »

Jenny wrote: August 27th, 2020, 2:35 pm ....
Kitarr I sincerely hope, that UX is still alive and on his way to Africa, but as you said, we'll probably never know :unsure:
I'm trying to think this way too.
Kitarr

Post by Kitarr »

16:22 Ivo with a nice headless fish for UW
UW leaves with the fish a minute later :2thumbsup:

Polly

Post by Polly »

Kitarr wrote: August 27th, 2020, 12:54 pm UW lands on the nest
[img https://up.picr.de/39307819wz.png /img]
She is so beautiful and strong. :innocent: I pray she'll make her first migration before the hawk has a chance.
Yesterday I still felt hope that UX actually survived the attack and is just shy of visiting the nest. I heard 2 chicks ... I was so sure. He would have had a real chance had he been warned. Had he recognized the danger. But it was not like that.

If we count 3 nests (2 in Estonia and 1 in Latvia) with 9 eggs and now pray for one last juvenile Osprey ... it is frightening. The last year was no exception. (Not all of the casualties were due to the hawk. So far there have been 5) Even if it is certainly not a definitive final picture of the overall situation everywhere. Nevertheless.... .
Also this year the goshawk seems to be very widespread to visit many nests. Not just Ospreys.

@sova, I asked myself that too. What happened? What drives hawks so penetratingly into nests to steal chicks?
Are there no more pigeons? No crows, birds (yes, birds are also getting less) ... like mice, rats, Rabbits etc. Do hawks have problems finding food in the low wood? Or were we just blind?
I will never agree to release hawks for fatal removal. Never! However, I reconsider my opinion that they are not a threat to other species.

My contribution is getting too long again. I'm so sorry. But my head is always working day and night. :unsure:
I've read that crows and red kites are good at driving away a hawk. But crows are hunted by humans just like red kites. Is my thought crazy about reintroducing these animals to these areas ... would that be an option?
There is also the possibility to take male hawks for the mating season.
@asteria, an apology from me for you !!! Now I know what you meant I attacked you a little for the thought even though it wasn't wrong. (Nest Marko & Miina) No hawk is killed. It is simply prevented from having many offspring.

Maybe our fairy Triin will answer. The men and women on site have a better picture of the situation through their excursions and observations.

Ps: I will never understand why such important animals as eagle owls and other birds of prey are allowed to be locked in facilities such as zoo, falconry and in households. :slap: :rolleyes:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
sova

Post by sova »

Polly wrote: August 27th, 2020, 5:20 pm ...
@sova, I asked myself that too. What happened? What drives hawks so penetratingly into nests to steal chicks?
Are there no more pigeons? No crows, birds (yes, birds are also getting less) ... like mice, rats etc. Do hawks have problems finding food in the low wood? Or were we just blind?
:hi: Polly and all

I will never forget this broadcast (I had to look for it for a long time). For me this video was very impressive..It shows very nicely what a the human being can cause, and he is not at all aware of the consequences.
Unfortunately the video is in German.

The Return of the Wolves - The Wonder in Yellowstone National Park

In Yellowstone National Park the elk reproduced unchecked for a long time, to the detriment of the local flora and fauna - until wolves found their way into the area. An ecosystem that was out of joint has been brought back into balance with the return of the predators. For 70 years, the elk population in Yellowstone National Park, USA, increased almost unchecked. Without a natural enemy and despite all attempts by humans to limit the increase in deer, they continued to spread and destroyed large parts of the park's vegetation. They are literally eating the national park bare. But with the targeted reintroduction of 41 Canadian wolves between 1995 and 1997, a real miracle happened: The animals brought the natural balance back to the national park. The wolves hunted the elk and, more importantly, influenced the behavior of the deer so that they withdrew from valleys and ravines.

But the presence of wolves not only reduced the elk population from 20,000 to around 7,000 animals, the flora of the national park also recovered and new habitats for other animal species were created. When it comes to this phenomenon, the scientists speak of a so-called trophic cascade, a chain reaction triggered by changes in the food chain within a complex ecosystem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM8Mh0eBf-s
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Polly wrote: August 27th, 2020, 5:20 pm She is so beautiful and strong. :innocent: I pray she'll make her first migration before the hawk has a chance.
Yesterday I still felt hope that UX actually survived the attack and is just shy of visiting the nest. I heard 2 chicks ... I was so sure. He would have had a real chance had he been warned. Had he recognized the danger. But it was not like that.

If we count 3 nests (2 in Estonia and 1 in Latvia) with 9 eggs and now pray for one last juvenile Osprey ... it is frightening. The last year was no exception. (Not all of the casualties were due to the hawk. So far there have been 5) Even if it is certainly not a definitive final picture of the overall situation everywhere. Nevertheless.... .
Also this year the goshawk seems to be very widespread to visit many nests. Not just Ospreys.

Are there no more pigeons? No crows, birds (yes, birds are also getting less) ... like mice, rats, Rabbits etc. Do hawks have problems finding food in the low wood? Or were we just blind?
I will never agree to release hawks for fatal removal. Never! However, I reconsider my opinion that they are not a threat to other species.

My contribution is getting too long again. I'm so sorry. But my head is always working day and night. :unsure:
I've read that crows and red kites are good at driving away a hawk. But crows are hunted by humans just like red kites. Is my thought crazy about reintroducing these animals to these areas ... would that be an option?
There is also the possibility to take male hawks for the mating season.
@asteria, an apology from me for you !!! Now I know what you meant I attacked you a little for the thought even though it wasn't wrong. (Nest Marko & Miina) No hawk is killed. It is simply prevented from having many offspring.

Maybe our fairy Triin will answer. The men and women on site have a better picture of the situation through their excursions and observations.

Ps: I will never understand why such important animals as eagle owls and other birds of prey are allowed to be locked in facilities such as zoo, falconry and in households. :slap: :rolleyes:
Hi Polly, the way you describe everything, it comes from the heart. I have the same lines of thought. We used to have so many ravens that Ivo and former Irma were chasing away. From this kra, kra, kra I got goosebumps, always in fear that our Osprey babies could be harmed. Now you can only see a few. Perhaps it is due to global warming, which is also likely to limit the food chain of many animal species. My concerns are those Goshawks that greedily grab our Ospreys. I don't know if these nests could be moved to another area - probably not. This year, all three grown up chicks in the nest from Marko and Miina were killed. Our UX has been ambushed. Whether he survived, or his magnificent wings were damaged in the process, all those events preoccupies our thinking.
Lets hope for better time in 2021.
Summi

Post by Summi »

Youtube stream has stopped again. :banghead:
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Summi wrote: August 27th, 2020, 7:25 pm Youtube stream has stopped again. :banghead:
Gosh Summi, I thought something is wrong with my computer, then I saw your note. I guess we have to get used to it. :shock:
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

sova wrote: August 27th, 2020, 5:52 pm :hi: Polly and all

I will never forget this broadcast (I had to look for it for a long time). For me this video was very impressive..It shows very nicely what a the human being can cause, and he is not at all aware of the consequences.
Unfortunately the video is in German.

The Return of the Wolves - The Wonder in Yellowstone National Park

In Yellowstone National Park the elk reproduced unchecked for a long time, to the detriment of the local flora and fauna - until wolves found their way into the area. An ecosystem that was out of joint has been brought back into balance with the return of the predators. For 70 years, the elk population in Yellowstone National Park, USA, increased almost unchecked. Without a natural enemy and despite all attempts by humans to limit the increase in deer, they continued to spread and destroyed large parts of the park's vegetation. They are literally eating the national park bare. But with the targeted reintroduction of 41 Canadian wolves between 1995 and 1997, a real miracle happened: The animals brought the natural balance back to the national park. The wolves hunted the elk and, more importantly, influenced the behavior of the deer so that they withdrew from valleys and ravines.

But the presence of wolves not only reduced the elk population from 20,000 to around 7,000 animals, the flora of the national park also recovered and new habitats for other animal species were created. When it comes to this phenomenon, the scientists speak of a so-called trophic cascade, a chain reaction triggered by changes in the food chain within a complex ecosystem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM8Mh0eBf-s

:wave: sova, too bad that in youtube this video is not available, but I know Yellowstone Nat'l Park very well with all his animal occupants.
sova

Post by sova »

Jenny wrote: August 27th, 2020, 8:09 pm :wave: sova, too bad that in youtube this video is not available, but I know Yellowstone Nat'l Park very well with all his animal occupants.
I can see it :puzzled:
Polly

Post by Polly »

Same here.
I can't see it either, but thanks to your addition I can understand the thought. Yes, one wheel meshes with the other.
Well, the wolf is a real hot topic. I live in northern Germany and here people are bad to talk about. :rolleyes: There is a lack of education and tolerance. But I can speak well - I have neither sheep nor horses. I am just a person to whom all animals are welcome. Except for mosquitoes and ticks. :whistling:
I hope the stream starts again.

Do we actually have a date on which Iiris was last seen? I seem to have overlooked it. I thought a lot about how she bravely took on the owl fight at the beginning of the season. Her growl ... a heroine. :innocent:
Who would have thought of a hawk ....
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

sova wrote: August 27th, 2020, 8:19 pm I can see it :puzzled:
sova, maybe of data privacy statement they stopped this video in Germany
sova

Post by sova »

Jenny wrote: August 27th, 2020, 8:43 pm sova, maybe of data privacy statement they stopped this video in Germany
https://www.3sat.de/dokumentation/natur ... e-100.html
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

sova, thank you very much for the fantastic video footage from 3sat. The wildlife in this park is unique and diverse. Wolves are, in my opinion, beautiful animals. By some of them you can see signs of a tough battle. You cannot describe the park in a few lines, you have to experience him and as you have already described it, wolves regulate the ecosystem perfect.
Yellowstone Nat'l Park is extreme in every way.
zuza

Post by zuza »

Good morning everyone. I would like to stand up for the wolves. I think it's not correct to compare them with hawks. wolves choose weak prey. an old or sick animal. to catch which requires less effort. as we see the hawk destroys a completely healthy family. wonderful parents cannot pass their genes on. it looks like a very strange natural selection. I've always thought that natural selection is needed for the best to survive. turns out not.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”