Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2020

sova

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2020

Post by sova »

zuza wrote: August 28th, 2020, 5:48 am Good morning everyone. I would like to stand up for the wolves. I think it's not correct to compare them with hawks. wolves choose weak prey. an old or sick animal. to catch which requires less effort. as we see the hawk destroys a completely healthy family. wonderful parents cannot pass their genes on. it looks like a very strange natural selection. I've always thought that natural selection is needed for the best to survive. turns out not.
Good morning Zuza
It's not about comparison, we're discussing about the food chain ... what has shifted, why the hawks are attacking more and more osprey nests.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Good morning to all!

"Winged wolves" is the term of pigeon owners. Food chains is their last care and any goshawk is their enemy #1. All they want is to defend their pigeons and they do all possible to scare hawks away.
Kitarr

Post by Kitarr »

:wave: Good morning everyone
Polly wrote: August 27th, 2020, 8:41 pm Do we actually have a date on which Iiris was last seen? I seem to have overlooked it.
I think Iiris was last seen on august 11th at 10:14 (P138)

Last year Iiris and Mart were last seen on august 27th and Ivo and Nele were last seen on september 9th

Let's hope the livestream will be back soon :bash:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

This may be the video you are looking for and in English and it is amazing what happened!

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Dear Chimega, thank you so much for your kindness to post this video. Awesome. :wave:
Jokke

Post by Jokke »

On August 25, 2020, before noon, I heard the food-cries of two chicks in a stereo chorus from the roof of a camera cabin, but there were no birds in the nest, so the mere sound was not videotaped.
So our hope is that UX will live.
Summi

Post by Summi »

:hi: Jokke, welcome to the forum and thank you for the encouraging observation. :thumbs:
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Jokke wrote: August 28th, 2020, 8:12 pm On August 25, 2020, before noon, I heard the food-cries of two chicks in a stereo chorus from the roof of a camera cabin, but there were no birds in the nest, so the mere sound was not videotaped.
So our hope is that UX will live.
:wave: Jokke, your observation lightens up our faces. All we wish for is that UX is still alive. I guess he was so shocked what has happened to him, that he avoids going back to the nest. Hopefully Ivo is serving his son fish to get back strenght.
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

Hello osprey fans and friends of Estonian Nature Webcams :hi:

I want to draw your attention to an article on Looduskalender main page (until now in Estonian language only, I don´t know whether it will be translated to other languages)
https://www.looduskalender.ee/n/index.php/node/4829

It is about a petition to stop the current enormous deforestation and to save Estonian (old) forests.

I have let Google translator make a translation of the petition to English, maybe you want to read its content and even support it.
You will find the link to the petition there.

viewtopic.php?f=82&p=761210#p761210

Many of us are watching Estonian Nature Webcams since years and I think we all know about the importance of a well working ecosystem and also about the effects when it is out of balance.
I personally think this petition is a very important matter for Estonia´s future.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Bea wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:57 pm ☼ ☼ ☼

Hello osprey fans and friends of Estonian Nature Webcams :hi:

I want to draw your attention to an article on Looduskalender main page (until now in Estonian language only, I don´t know whether it will be translated to other languages)
https://www.looduskalender.ee/n/index.php/node/4829

It is about a petition to stop the current enormous deforestation and to save Estonian (old) forests.

I have let Google translator make a translation of the petition to English, maybe you want to read its content and even support it.
You will find the link to the petition there.

viewtopic.php?f=82&p=761210#p761210

Many of us are watching Estonian Nature Webcams since years and I think we all know about the importance of a well working ecosystem and also about the effects when it is out of balance.
I personally think this petition is a very important matter for Estonia´s future.
Hello Bea, thank you for the link and I have just signed the petition to save the Estonian forests. Hopefully we will get enough signatures, because not only in Estonia, all over the world our forests are being destroyed for commercial purposes.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Let's hope that all signatures will have a long-term effect and that the goal will be consistently pursued and enforced.

Same here ... . :thumbs:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
asteria

Post by asteria »

Jenny wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:44 pm :wave: Jokke, your observation lightens up our faces. All we wish for is that UX is still alive. I guess he was so shocked what has happened to him, that he avoids going back to the nest. Hopefully Ivo is serving his son fish to get back strenght.
He must be a smart and cautious boy. He learnt that the nest is not safe and better not to show up at the place where you were badly attacked. So that is the reason why UX is heard but not seen.
Rita

Post by Rita »

I think that UX is dead - the probability that UX is still alive is very small. At least once UX should have been seen on the nest after the attack - UX was not seen ever after. And the Goshawsk's attack was very precise - it went for the throat.
sova

Post by sova »

:hi: Chimega
Chimega wrote: August 28th, 2020, 5:50 pm This may be the video you are looking for and in English and it is amazing what happened!

lyEgW9LQ3EA
Thank you very much for your effort, :2thumbsup: but it's not exactly what I meant.
Look at the link ... it is described (pink) what the video is about.
[/quote]viewtopic.php?p=760967#p760967
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Good evening, friends! :hi:

After some absence, it is very interesting to read all the reports again, thank you! :rolleyes: Good that the camera was back online, if only for a brief time - to capture, once again, the nature as it is.

It is sad to read that the goshawk attacked and, most likely, killed UX.. Yet also very nice to see that UW was fine and had some nice fish delivered just recently. Kittar, thank you for the last pics of UW! :wave:

Keeping fingers crossed for a safe and successful season next year!
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Chimega wrote: August 28th, 2020, 5:50 pm This may be the video you are looking for and in English and it is amazing what happened!
Thank you, Chimega, for this beautiful and educating video! :wave:
It is great to see the balance in the nature restored and the wolves - as National Geographic, calls them, keystone species - back in Yellowstone.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anim ... ecosystem/
asteria

Post by asteria »

Rita wrote: August 29th, 2020, 2:56 pm I think that UX is dead - the probability that UX is still alive is very small. At least once UX should have been seen on the nest after the attack - UX was not seen ever after. And the Goshawsk's attack was very precise - it went for the throat.
As the camera was off, we can't know whether UX appeared in the nest or nearby, but the voices of two osprets were clearly heard before the cam stopped. To prove UX is dead is necessary to go to the nest area and search for his dead body but nobody will do it now. So we don't know the answer.
Rita

Post by Rita »

asteria: Usually a Goshawk (an adult breeding) carries prey away, so no dead body would be found anyway which means no body found does not mean that the prey is not dead.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

asteria wrote: August 30th, 2020, 9:51 am As the camera was off, we can't know whether UX appeared in the nest or nearby, but the voices of two osprets were clearly heard before the cam stopped. To prove UX is dead is necessary to go to the nest area and search for his dead body but nobody will do it now. So we don't know the answer.
Hello!
On the Kotkaklubi homepage is written: "The nest, located in a high tree loft, usually offers a 360-degree view of the surrounding landscape, and when people move 500 m from the nest tree, the female flies out of the nest, and in bad weather, eggs or small chicks may die". https://www.kotkas.ee/liigid/kalakotkas

Our chicks are big now, but nobody is allowed to go there. And we don´t know if UX is alive...
But it would be nice to hope that! Because many people have heard two voices and ... and on August 26, an osprey sat for several hours on the lower branch of the pine tree on the right (landed on this branch at 14:48 and flew away 18:15)... maybe UX?
He just didn't come to the nest where he was attacked.

Let's hope we get the stream back! Maybe he's still alive and we'll see him! 8-)
sova

Post by sova »

:hi: Asteria .... I don't think UX is alive. I think it was different pitches from UW.
I translated this article (GT). It shows very well what a hunter the Goshawk is.

https://altoetting.bund-naturschutz.de/ ... bicht.html

Goshawk

THE HABICHT, A NOBLE HUNTER WITH ACROBATIC SKILL
The Goshawk strikes its prey in the air and on the ground and what it once has in its claws it won't let go.

“Habicht, from the group of the falcon family of birds of prey. The common or goshawk A. palumbarius L. belonged here. It is one of the most harmful birds of prey, cautiously cunning, agile and quick, a feared enemy of pigeons, partridges, pheasants, chickens, ducks, starlings, finches and even small birds of prey. He often pursues pigeons and chickens into the interior of the houses and also hunts rabbits and hares.

With the Latin name Accipiter gentilis, Linne added the hawk to the scientific nomenclature in 1758. Accipiter means "the one who accesses", gentilis means "the noble one". The hawks inhabit several subspecies of forests in the temperate and Mediterranean zones of the entire Palearctic. In Central Europe the species Accipiter gentilis lives all year round.

The wingspan of the male is about 100 cm, that of the female 120 cm, the males being about a third smaller than the females. With an average size of 48 to 61 cm, the birds weigh 700 to 1200 g. The yellow legs of the hawk are short and stocky, the feet strong with long sickle-shaped claws. The males are gray-brown on top, old females are slate-gray. The legs and the relatively short, rounded wings are gray in color in the adult birds of prey. The underside of the old age dress in both sexes is pale and speckled with narrow black horizontal stripes. The light stripes above the eyes and the dark yellow to orange colored iris are typical. In older hawks the color of the iris increases to ruby ​​red. The wax skin of the beak is yellow. In flight, the hawk can usually be recognized by its long tail. The large plumage shows strong banding on a white to brown background in all areas. The young birds are brownish on the upper side until the first moult, yellow, beige or orange on the underside with vertical drops or line drawings.

The hawk is a shy and reserved bird of prey in the forest, but also lives in parks with interspersed forests. Its habitat are varied forest landscapes with old trees as well as closed forest areas and open cultural landscapes with a sufficient supply of medium-sized birds and mammals. He prefers trees that are over 60 years old for the nest. Hawk pairs communicate with each other with a short “gjik” or “gjak”, but they can hardly be heard outside of the breeding season. During courtship from June to March they shout a sharp “gik, gik, gik” near the eyrie, which can also be heard when a disturbance is excited. If strangers intrude into the area, an attempt is first made to drive away the intruder by shouting. In contrast to the other birds of prey, direct attacks by birds with body contact only occur as a last resort in the context of territorial disputes.

The short, rounded wings and the long thrust enable the bird to make acrobatic turns. The bird of prey's relatively fast wingbeat alternates with short gliding phases. The exceptionally large differences between males and females result in different prey choices. As a typical ambulance, the hawk suddenly attacks from a hidden vantage point and takes the prey by surprise. The male goshawk is capable of air chasing for minutes and can chase soaring pigeons over hundreds of meters. The much heavier female is not capable of such hunts, but does hunt birds up to the size of a capercaillie and even the size of adult hares. The hawk strikes its prey in the air and on the ground and what it once has in its claws it won't let go. The prey scheme includes small birds, pigeons, chicken birds, mallards, rabbits and squirrels. The smaller male is faster and more agile than the female and doesn't just rely on surprise tactics. Like all hunters of fast-moving prey, hawks are able to react in a flash. The bird signals the flutter of a prey with restricted mobility or screams of fear and triggers a lightning-like reaction. On the hunt, the raptor roams through the trees at great speed, in low flight over the ground along a hedge and often makes sudden turns and uses the landscape structure as cover. With a keen eye, he can discover his prey over long distances, sprints off quickly and cleverly avoids obstacles. The male hawk is primarily a bird hunter and also regularly prey on small and medium-sized birds of prey such as sparrowhawks, kestrels, buzzards and owls. After beating, the hawk also kills its prey with kneading movements of his powerful fangs, digging his claws of the first and second toe into the prey and the victim dies of internal bleeding. After killing his prey, he plucks and dissects it with his hooked beak. Hawks also look for nests in higher vegetation and on trees and prey on young birds. In the case of small birds, the nest with its contents is often taken and dragged to the plucking place, where the empty nests are found on the ground. The goshawk prey on moles on foot and even beats brooding wild ducks.

The birds, which are loyal to each other for a lifetime, prefer to build their nests in old wood with a dense crown, which they change and replenish from year to year. They build their nests out of thick branches and twigs and the nest hollow is constantly repaired with coniferous twigs by the female, even while the young are being raised. The goshawks show a spectacular courtship flight during courtship time in late winter and circling high above the forest in which the eyrie is located in early spring. The couples pretend to be very vocal, with the sounding "gi-gi-gi-gi-gi" occurring in an ascending and descending tone. Hawks are strictly territorial and defend their territory by frequent gickering and sightseeing, during which they slowly flap their wings down and back up again in a straight flight and the males often fly in waves.

The eggs are usually laid in mid-March to mid-April. During copulation, both partners shout a high "confused-confused-confused". The breeding season is unusually long at 40 days. The female lays 2 to 5 unmarked, pale green to pale gray eggs. During the breeding business, the female moults the wings of her hand and arm. It breeds alone and is nourished by the male. After hatching, the female remains sitting on the young for about 10 days. It remains near the nest for another 10 days and warms the nestlings overnight. From then on they are alone in the nest and are given prey several times a day at the eyrie. Nesting hawks are very peaceful with each other and fledge after 38 to 45 days. After 3 to 6 weeks after flying out, the young birds leave their parents' territory, but are very loyal to the territory. Roaming young birds usually do not move very far from their place of birth. The species is not endangered.

Günter Geiss

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”