Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2020

Gavril

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2020

Post by Gavril »

Thank you, Sova for translating and link .

I noticed several times that the hawk attacked from under the nest, from below. At the same time, it looks impressive - eyes, claws, wings - all aimed at success in hunting.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

The Goshawk strikes its prey in the air and on the ground and what it once has in its claws it won't let go.

sova thank you for the informative article.
What the Goshawk has in its claws, he won't let go. Poor UX. We have to accept that he was killed. The only hope is, that at least UW will survive, but after the camera stopped working, we are also here in the dark.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Rita wrote: August 30th, 2020, 2:32 pm asteria: Usually a Goshawk (an adult breeding) carries prey away, so no dead body would be found anyway which means no body found does not mean that the prey is not dead.
Last year, after the tragedy happened in Lipka osprey nest, the bodies of the last chick(already fledged) and the male osprey were found near the nest on the ground. :cry: All the BS chicks from Dab nest were also found near the nest. Goshawk carries away small prey but not such a heavy one. The goshawk attacked UX was a juvenile one, not an adult.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Well, so were my hopes. UX was not easy prey. In the last days of movements in Nest Riga, however, I saw what females are able to move.
Yes, it was a young hawk (does anyone dare to guess the gender?) But look at that power.

Let's not concentrate on hopes any more. UW is a stately girl (I like her narrow eyes :innocent: ) and we wish her that she defends this season for all of her fallen conspecifics. I won't forget Juuli either ... a screaming fighting nature. :rotf:

Our birds may all be on their way ... let's look ahead and wish them a safe journey. :bow:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
asteria

Post by asteria »

The article about nest cams(part I) appeared on the site(English version from 08.09.20) Not a word about the hawk attack towards UX is said there:
Chicks were ringed on 10th July. First fledging occurred on 20th and 24th July. Since then the chicks have returned to the nest only for feeding. They will migrate to the wintering sites of ospreys in Afica (beyond Sahara desert) in early September. The ospreys will start nesting themselves from the age of 3.

https://www.looduskalender.ee/n/en/node/4817
Florinda

Post by Florinda »

asteria wrote: September 11th, 2020, 5:49 pm The article about nest cams(part I) appeared on the site(English version from 08.09.20)
Thank you :thumbs:
Polly

Post by Polly »

That can be a fleeting omission. However, Bea entered the event on page one on the same day. Even before there was security.
UX was an airworthy teenager. Unfortunately surprised by the claws, but he would have had a chance.
Shouldn't happen anyway. It distorts the events and the result of a season.
Indian proverb
Triin

Post by Triin »

asteria wrote: September 11th, 2020, 5:49 pm The article about nest cams(part I) appeared on the site(English version from 08.09.20) Not a word about the hawk attack towards UX is said there:
Chicks were ringed on 10th July. First fledging occurred on 20th and 24th July. Since then the chicks have returned to the nest only for feeding. They will migrate to the wintering sites of ospreys in Afica (beyond Sahara desert) in early September. The ospreys will start nesting themselves from the age of 3.

https://www.looduskalender.ee/n/en/node/4817
The original article that I wrote and Urmas helped to check was in Estonian and was published already on August 23. That was before the goshawk attack. Didn't expect anything notable to happen back then, but as you know I was proven wrong.

I don't know, who translated the article into English, but it seems that they didn't add any new information. I did a quick scan of the translated text and unfortunately there are some other "lost in translation" mistakes, e.g LSE being the last to fledge and LSE, GSE and GE chicks all being male.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Didn't expect anything notable to happen back then, but as you know I was proven wrong.
Triin, who would have expected it. :/
At first, the owl was a nuisance. She harassed Iiris several times during the night. That growl of Iiris ... that bravery of facing the owl. That uncomfortable feeling that an owl can defeat a brooding osprey. I also saw danger more from owls than from hawks.

Thank you for your feedback signal! :innocent:
Do you now have an overview of the owl and hawk breeding balance? I wonder ... we saw parents (owls) and youngsters (hawks) but that includes an association. So parents or offspring. The area seems to be increasing in biodiversity. I am not aware that we have ever seen owls or hawks hunting there? (in this nest) Am I wrong?

Greetings from Polly to everyone (who, like me, probably suffer from defective streams and empty nest syndrome) :hi:
Indian proverb
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Polly wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:54 pm Triin, who would have expected it. :/
At first, the owl was a nuisance. She harassed Iiris several times during the night. That growl of Iiris ... that bravery of facing the owl. That uncomfortable feeling that an owl can defeat a brooding osprey. I also saw danger more from owls than from hawks.

Thank you for your feedback signal! :innocent:
Do you now have an overview of the owl and hawk breeding balance? I wonder ... we saw parents (owls) and youngsters (hawks) but that includes an association. So parents or offspring. The area seems to be increasing in biodiversity. I am not aware that we have ever seen owls or hawks hunting there? (in this nest) Am I wrong?

Greetings from Polly to everyone (who, like me, probably suffer from defective streams and empty nest syndrome) :hi:
:hi: Polly, I also suffer from defective streams and empty nest Syndrome. We have to wait until April next year and hopefully with a repaired cam.
Galina

Post by Galina »

Galina wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 8:44 pm But yes, let all be like it is, maybe the Ospreys will come to other places in the future, it is a dream for me to see them at my place.
An Osprey was seen just 4km from my home, I am in joy :loveshower: for sure it is just due to migration, but they started to renaturise some places, so there is hope, that one day, there will be pairs breeding.
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

:wave: Galina, Wow! So happy for you! It truly is a special treat to see the Ospreys in person. Hopefully you will get some nesting pairs this upcoming Spring season. :shake:

Well, for certain our favorite Osprey family is on migration. I hope that the winds are in their favor and the fish and roosting places plentiful.
Next season will be Ivo’s, 6th! He is in legend territory for a male Osprey! I don’t recall many males that have had Ivo’s, success. :loveshower:
Can’t wait for next season, and to see everyone back here, on the forum. :thumbs:
elisabetta-pamina

Post by elisabetta-pamina »

Hello ladies and gentlemen! I have been keeping an eye on the forum in the last weeks hoping some news to appear. I hope to see our beloved birds soon.
Have everyone a good time
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

elisabetta pamina
:wave:
Counting the days till the camera appears.
zuza

Post by zuza »

all good day. will the camera work this year? there is information ?
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

:hi:

There was a short info by Urmas of the osprey cam Ivo/Iiris on YouTube last week - that it will be opened later there on the Kotkaklubi page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCvBXT ... Saqd19N0Sg
Bea

Post by Bea »

zuza wrote: March 21st, 2021, 8:47 am all good day. will the camera work this year? there is information ?
Hi zuza and all osprey fans :hi:

It is still a bit too early for our Osprey cam/s going online, Estonian Ospreys are late returners, as they have a far way from their African wintering grounds back to their breeding places in this Northern part of Europe.

Currently Markus is the only Estonian Osprey visible on the Bird Migration Map and his last data are from 4. March, so it is not quite clear whether he already started his spring migration or not.

http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/EN/

Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Lara

Post by Lara »

Hallo,

is Markus similar to Marco or is it a different individual?
Bea

Post by Bea »

Hi Lara,
it's a different osprey.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Lara

Post by Lara »

Thanks.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”