Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula 2020

Post by Heloise »

Sorry for this post again :)
I am new here! :dunno:
I can´t delete this :bow:
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Hello, Sova! :wave:

Thank you! Yes, I understand what you mean.

Have a nice autumn evening!

:loveshower:
sova

Post by sova »

Heloise wrote: September 21st, 2020, 8:14 pm Sorry for this post again :)
I am new here! :dunno:
I can´t delete this :bow:
an example for;
If no one has written behind you yet, so your post is the last on the page, you can delete the post on the red cross.

Heloise

Post by Heloise »

sova wrote: September 21st, 2020, 8:28 pm an example for;
If no one has written behind you yet, so your post is the last on the page, you can delete the post on the red cross.

Thank you! :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Heloise wrote: September 21st, 2020, 3:28 pm ...........We will wait for Karl II to return!
I'd like to see what he looks like, with or without a transmitter 8-)
Me too :laugh: I hope he has! And I hope for a great new season. :2thumbsup:
Triin

Post by Triin »

Liz01 wrote: September 18th, 2020, 6:48 am 17.09.2020 Looduskalender front page: :D

https://www.looduskalender.ee/n/node/4877
Michi wrote: September 19th, 2020, 12:52 pm
A very interesting picture from Karl II in the brook, - in front of the trap.
This black stork used to be a white stork, but then Urmas took out his painting kit. It's a decoy that helps to assure real storks that the place is safe.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Triin wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 1:17 pm This black stork used to be a white stork, but then Urmas took out his painting kit. It's a decoy that helps to assure real storks that the place is safe.
That’s a funny story! :D :D :D
In the meantime we were guessing who this Black Stork could be. :D

:wave:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Triin wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 1:17 pm This black stork used to be a white stork, but then Urmas took out his painting kit. It's a decoy that helps to assure real storks that the place is safe.
:rotf:
I am very happy that I did not write that we are seeing Karl II in the picture :laugh:

Thank you Triin!
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Thank you, Triin! :wave:

It's very interesting to know :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Triin wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 1:17 pm
thank you Triin for clarification
:rotf: :2thumbsup:
:wave:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Plans to build a wind farm in southwestern Estonia are being held up after the discovery of a rare Black Stork's nest in the vicinity. viewtopic.php?p=767644#p767644
Solo

Post by Solo »

not Estonia, but Germany

:rolleyes:
Black Storks: A Surprising Comeback in Germany | Free Documentary Nature
https://youtu.be/FHn60MHtSuo by Free Documentary - Nature
Solo

Post by Solo »

:loveshower: the first black stork arrived to Gemenc (HU) https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 47#p779647
asteria

Post by asteria »

So count about one month and the first black stork arrives to Karula. Not sure it will be with transmitter though.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Solo wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 3:37 pm :loveshower: the first black stork arrived to Gemenc (HU) https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 47#p779647
Hi :hi:

Solo, thank you so much for the information :D
It was so nice to see this black stork! :2thumbsup:

It is still cold in Estonia and the weather is getting colder again...
However, I hope to see Karl II soon, in late March or early April.
It's really interesting whether we recognize him and whether he has a transmitter or not!

Hopefully we will see a spring migration map soon!
I wish everyone a beautiful spring!

8-)
Solo

Post by Solo »

Heloise wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 12:28 pm...
:hi: Heloise, my pleasure :D

spring migration for BS with transmitter from Estonia (and Latvia) in previous years:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 94#p779194

I hope Urmas is healthy, O.K. and he is only very busy- I am waiting on the spring map already very much (impatiently) :shake:

EDIT:
2017: Karl arrived at the nest on April 4 at 10.37
2018: Karl arrived at the nest on April 8 at 12.35
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Hallo :wave:
Spring map 2021 can be seen today. But so far I only see Karula and Timmu under black stork.

The birdmap is still in progress. :unsure:

Many greetings :D
Freedom!
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hello everyone :hi:

ITALY: first black stork arrived on the streamed nest yesterday https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 47#p780647
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

On the LK front page :thumbs:

https://www.looduskalender.ee/n/

The info is not so good:
The Black Stork is a protected bird species with a rapidly declining number and very poor reproductive success, which is in great danger of extinction in Estonia. A study commissioned by the Environmental Board revealed that one of the factors causing the poor fertility of the black stork may be the high level of mercury in the blood of birds, which is likely to enter it through food.....
Surprisingly high levels of mercury (Hg) were found in the blood of the birds studied, especially in old birds. Mercury is a cumulative pollutant in the body that has many negative effects, causing changes in behavior, but also lower than normal fertility and a weaker immune system. Mercury enters the black stork's body primarily through the fish it feeds on. Studies of pollutants in the Baltic Sea carried out in Estonia show that the mercury found in commercial fish does not exceed the set limits for human consumption, but this amount can still be a threat for species that feed mainly on fish. It is not known where black storks eat mercury-rich fish or other aquatic organisms. This can also happen during migration or wintering areas.

In addition, a parasitic cover was found in all young birds in the oral cavity and esophagus, which sucks the bird's blood and can cause anemia, i.e. a lack of red blood cells. Red blood cells are responsible for transporting oxygen in the body and are important for the successful migration of birds to the wintering grounds. One of the recommendations of the study was to check the oral cavity of the chicks in the future and to administer an oral medicine that helps to get rid of the parasits..

Although few birds have been studied for general conclusions, important information has been obtained for further studies. "It is definitely expedient to continue monitoring the health of storks and to find out where the mercury enters the body of birds. To this end, it may be necessary to include non-migratory species similar to black storks in their habitat and behavior. This would help to clarify whether mercury enters the body of birds from Estonia or elsewhere, "said Madis Leivits, a veterinarian at the Estonian University of Life Sciences.

Previous studies on endangered species have also found higher than normal levels of mercury in endangered birds of prey. For example, in 2019, at the request of the Environmental Board, high levels of mercury were found in the bodies of five dead "cats" studied at the Estonian University of Life Sciences. Catfish are not migratory birds, they mostly nest on the coast and often feed on seabirds and fish.

As it is currently unclear where mercury enters the body of endangered birds of prey, in 2021 the Environmental Board ordered the installation of satellite transmitters for young cats to study them more effectively. "Hopefully, we will find out where the cats move and feed more precisely, and through this also get an idea of the possible sources of mercury. Research on black storks will also continue in the near future, "said Marju Erit, Head of the Species Protection Bureau of the Environmental Board.

More information:
Madis Leivits, veterinarian of the Estonian University of Life Sciences

Sorry.. I have no Idea what animal is meant. .cat?? I'm sure that cats never fly through the area with a transmitter :rotf:

It's very sad!

EDIT:
Heloise wrote: March 17th, 2021, 6:33 pm Hello! :hi:

This "cat" bird is kassikakk in Estonian, Eurasian Eagle-Owl (Bubo bubo).
Heloise, :hi: thank you very much :2thumbsup:
sova

Post by sova »

:hi:
Thanks Liz
Liz01 wrote: March 17th, 2021, 1:23 pm ...
It's very sad!

... about cats for birds ... hopefully the scientists will be successful :2thumbsup:

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”