Uhu Webcam (Germany, Eifel) 2021

Rosinchen

Re: Uhu Webcam (Germany, Eifel) 2021

Post by Rosinchen »

Stefan Brücher says in a news article that Lotte must have been away for getting food. Otherwise she would have attacked the racoon.
He says that there aren't enough rabbits anymore, and that means, Lotte has to help Leo to get enough food. And that's the reason, why the owlets have been alone for a longer time.
Rosinchen

Post by Rosinchen »

romy

Post by romy »

I haven't seen a fox there for months, maybe the raccoon now lives in one of the old fox burrows nearby and was looking for food at dawn. Hopefully he won't have any offspring there. Lotte was probably looking for food further away. At least she would have tried to scare him away. Lotte would have been heard.
I'm actually just surprised that it was a raccoon, I wouldn't have expected it there. I would have expected an attack by a fox or a marten.
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

Rosinchen, thanks for the hint to the diary entry from Stefan Brücher, here is the link to it:

https://uhu.webcam.pixtura.de/fragen-an ... schbaeren/
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

17:46
Lotte has dinner from the rat that Leo delivered yesterday night, it was close to the hind larder, not in the right side larder, what I supposed before
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

19:23
A Great Tit fetches fur from prey leftovers
wojtasss

Post by wojtasss »

@Bea
I understand
thanks
:sad: :sad:

Stefan writes that he writes a lotte, she would deal with such a predator, after all, she hunts animals of such a size. I hope she will hunt him!
Stefan writes that the sheds have been around since 2017. I wonder why they have not attacked for so many years and now suddenly they are ...
maybe he was attracted by the screams of the young one, he shouted quite a lot in other nests, I did not notice it;

I'm angry I saw it that night :shock: :oops:
8elke8

Post by 8elke8 »

... wish you a good evening. :hi:
First of all, I would like to thank Bea very much for her great entries. It's been a few years now since I've been following Lotte and Leo's breeding season - with lots of joy, laughter and tears. Since I belong to the "sensitive" group, I took a break for myself when the third and smallest chick came up short and died. ... after the ringing I started to be there again - with the owle family .... that it is now over is sad and very painful ....
it is sometimes difficult to accept nature ..... anyway many many thanks to you Bea -for going on! :nod:
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

Welcome to the forum, 8elke8 :gathering:

Thank you for your kind words!

It is great to read that so many people share the passion for these Eagle Owl family already for many years.

Let´s continue, nevertheless it feels bittersweet at the moment ....
Bea

Post by Bea »

wojtasss wrote: May 20th, 2021, 1:50 am @Bea
I understand
thanks
:sad: :sad:

Stefan writes that he writes a lotte, she would deal with such a predator, after all, she hunts animals of such a size. I hope she will hunt him!
Stefan writes that the sheds have been around since 2017. I wonder why they have not attacked for so many years and now suddenly they are ...
maybe he was attracted by the screams of the young one, he shouted quite a lot in other nests, I did not notice it;

I'm angry I saw it that night :shock: :oops:
Yes, Stefan writes that they found already since 2017 owlets missing in some nests, but didn´t know why and how, at that time they had no plausible explanation for it (no other camera nests, no documentation). But now, with this first camera-documented incident, they think that there could have been more raids like this in other nests already earlier, but simply nobody knew about it. Population of raccoons seems to be already big and to grow in Eifel area, so raccoons will probably stay as a recurrent problem.

I hope you feel better meanwhile, it was surely not easy to witness all this live :unsure:
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

20. May

02:56
A mouse visited the nest place
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

03:31
One of several visits of a Garden Dormouse, I even think it was more than only one individual, but at different times, looking for interesting leftovers
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

Lotte arrived on the ledge at 08:11 and walks to the nest at 08:13
She fetches the rat (EGE Eulen writes it is a vole :puzzled: ) and hides it out on the ledge behind the flowers
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

09:54
Lotte returned to the nest, stayed there for quite a while, looking around, checking the place and doing some clean-ups.
What was she thinking, standing there and looking around?
She returned to the hidden rat behind the flower bush and ate it, then flew up to the cam support
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

10:13
After Lotte had left the ledge, cam operator caught again a Great Tit collecting soft nest material, feathers and fur.
The camera was shaking again, so I think that Lotte had taken off from the cam support to an other place
brdlovr02

Post by brdlovr02 »

I have watched this owl pair for many years. It is very sad that the season ended so tragically. I am grateful to you, Bea, for all of your insightful comments and videos. As others have said, there have been many nest failures this year. Some of that may be due to there being so many more wonderful nature cams to follow. It is hard to watch when something like this happens and I feel bad for those who watched it live.

For any who may be interested, there is a live nest cam in Utah of a screech owl pair with 5 little owlets. They have a direct webcam link, as well as a YouTube link. I will post the link in the Owls Around The World 2015-2021 as I think this is where it's supposed to be. I hope all can find some peace and happiness in nature and I appreciate those that offer us a close-up glimpse of it through their webcams.
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

Welcome to the forum, brdlover02 :gathering:

In the first few years of my live-cam-observer-time I was pampered with successful nests, good years with enough food, happy fledglings. But in every more year watching, also unhappy events had to be witnessed, siblicide in Lesser spotted Eagles nests, starvation here at the Eagle Owl nest, Goshawks who plunder clutches on various species. Not easy to look at, but I decided for myself that I also have to take this when I want 'the whole thing'. Despite it is often not easy.

Thank you for the links to the Screech Owls, it´s on the perfect place in that topic.
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

21:41
Lotte coming in for a nest check
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

22. May

02:11
Zooming on a mouse, looking for interesting things.
It was here repeatedly during the night.
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

16:45
Zoom on some items near the nest

Return to “Owls”