Estonian Osprey Nest (Marko & Miina) 2021

mogga

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Marko & Miina) 2021

Post by mogga »

°°°
sova wrote: August 26th, 2021, 1:25 pm Spring cleaning :mrgreen:
I had to look up "spring cleaning" first, too. It means the same as in German... :book: :rotf:
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Hello, sova and mogga :laugh:

I added my photos and wanted to be polite... and all is lost now!
I'm never polite again!
:vangry:
sova wrote: August 26th, 2021, 1:25 pm Spring cleaning :mrgreen:
Kevadpuhastus, in Estonian :mrgreen:

In fact, we have autumn since the beginning of August! This is very unusual.
There are no soft warm August nights that we all love...

I don't think anyone has seen Marko today?

:wave:
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Hello, dear osprey friends!
Many thanks to your friendly company for the well-covered reports. Hellem is as accurate as always! :thumbs: Thank you for the interesting captures from Sova, Birdfriend, Mogga. :2thumbsup: Thank you Heloise for the wonderful evening pictures! :rolleyes: Thank you all for your kind humor and the opportunity to see beautiful moments from the life of the family of our beloved Marko and Miina.

And thank you to Marko and Miina for a happy summer! Good luck to everyone!

Oh ! I almost forgot-Mogga, thank you for the video! :D
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Hello Gavril! :hi:
Many thanks for your kind words! :rolleyes:

From the YT chat, Яна Речнова (thank you!)
14:47 Marko! :rolleyes:

14:47:41 Marko lands with a lichen stick :whistling:

https://i.postimg.cc/PxFtpCH0/Screensho ... u-Tube.jpg

mogga

Post by mogga »

°°°
Gavril, Heloise :wave: :D
Heloise wrote: August 26th, 2021, 3:08 pm 14:47 Marko! :rolleyes:
14:47
Marko!

Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Many thanks, mogga! :thumbs:

Marko inspects the nest and its surroundings :rolleyes:

8-)

Heloise

Post by Heloise »

14:52:09 Marko has a plan!

14:52:10 Marko flies away

mogga

Post by mogga »

°°°

Many thanks back for the pictures, Heloise! :thumbs:

(Marko is still there, I didn't expect that. 8-) )
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Mogga :wave:
My pleasure!

I had a feeling Marko is still here :rolleyes:
For some reason, he loves our cool and rainy weather...
He loves water!

:rolleyes:
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

:hi: all

Heloise, mogga, sova :D :2thumbsup:

Gavril :wave:
sova

Post by sova »

mogge, Heloise .... thank you very much :2thumbsup:
:hi: Hellem, Gavril

20.07. - Juuli is flying
22.08. - the last time on the nest (1 month and 2 days)

16.07. - M1 and M2 are flights
08.08 - M2 the last time at the nest (23 days) - short visit on 12.08.
15.08. - M1 the last time on the nest (1 month)

I wondered why Markos and Miinas * children * leave Nest so quickly.
If I compare it with other nests, there are even females there (in Bavaria Hermione was still on the nest today) ... Rutland Osprey Project (also here the female is still there ... child too)
We don't have to look far, a good comparison is Iiris and Ivo's Nest. The little ones hatched a week earlier and Ivo and Iris are still feeding them. (at least an unpleasant end of the season).
I mean, as long as the little ones are on the nest, Marko is a wonderful father (in human eyes) ... he spends a lot of time on the nest, he provides shade, fish has it all the time. As soon as the * children * flights are over, Marko prefers to bring sticks than fish. (that's how I see it).
Well, Marko always brings very large fish (I don't think that he differentiates between the size of fish and draws conclusions from it.)
Can it be that Marko leads the * children * to the fish ponds ... can it be that the little ones fish more easily in the ponds and thus become more independent earlier?
But then the other question arises ... and what later on the migration? ... there are no fish ponds ...
I don't know what to think ... maybe the whole thing is not at all how I see it ...
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Heloise wrote: August 26th, 2021, 3:08 pm
14:47:41 Marko lands with a lichen stick :whistling:
:hi:
Marko without a stick is strange. At least a small stick, but into the house! :D

Marko and the stick are my favorite theme!
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

sova wrote: August 26th, 2021, 4:55 pm I wondered why Markos and Miinas * children * leave Nest so quickly.
If I compare it with other nests, there are even females there (in Bavaria Hermione was still on the nest today) ... Rutland Osprey Project (also here the female is still there ... child too)
We don't have to look far, a good comparison is Iiris and Ivo's Nest. The little ones hatched a week earlier and Ivo and Iris are still feeding them. (at least an unpleasant end of the season).
I mean, as long as the little ones are on the nest, Marko is a wonderful father (in human eyes) ... he spends a lot of time on the nest, he provides shade, fish has it all the time. As soon as the * children * flights are over, Marko prefers to bring sticks than fish. (that's how I see it).
Well, Marko always brings very large fish (I don't think that he differentiates between the size of fish and draws conclusions from it.)
Can it be that Marko leads the * children * to the fish ponds ... can it be that the little ones fish more easily in the ponds and thus become more independent earlier?
But then the other question arises ... and what later on the migration? ... there are no fish ponds ...
I don't know what to think ... maybe the whole thing is not at all how I see it ...
:hi:
Maybe the distance to the pond also matters? If the pond at Marko and Miina is farther than the pond at Iris and Ivo, then the M chicks, having received their first hunting lessons, do not want to return to the nest. They prefer to spend time closer to the pond. And chicks I fly from the pond to the nest and back.
sova

Post by sova »

Gavril wrote: August 26th, 2021, 6:19 pm :hi:
Maybe the distance to the pond also matters? If the pond at Marko and Miina is farther than the pond at Iris and Ivo, then the M chicks, having received their first hunting lessons, do not want to return to the nest. They prefer to spend time closer to the pond. And chicks I fly from the pond to the nest and back.
This year, Marko brought fish within 1/2 hour, so the fish ponds may not be that far after all ... :unsure:
mogga

Post by mogga »

°°°
sova wrote: August 26th, 2021, 4:55 pm As soon as the * children * flights are over, Marko prefers to bring sticks than fish. (that's how I see it).
Because then there is no reason to bring fish to the nest. During the whole time in Africa and on the journey there and back they eat the fish where they catch it.

This (Võrumaa) is the only place where a large part of life takes place on the nest and they also eat fish on the nest.
sova wrote: August 26th, 2021, 4:55 pm But then the other question arises ... and what later on the migration? ... there are no fish ponds ...
But yes, there are fish ponds, rivers, lakes, the sea. The ospreys know exactly where the opportunities to catch fish are on the route to Africa.
In countries where they only migrate but do not breed, birdwatchers know where and when they have to go if they want to see an osprey.
(For a few years now, they have also started breeding again in France, Corsica, Andalusia and eastern Germany).
sova

Post by sova »

mogga wrote: August 26th, 2021, 6:50 pm °°°
Because then there is no reason to bring fish to the nest. During the whole time in Africa and on the journey there and back they eat the fish where they catch it.
yes, I know that but in comparison to other nests, it goes very quickly here, in my opinion, too quickly
mogga wrote: August 26th, 2021, 6:50 pm °°°
But yes, there are fish ponds, rivers, lakes, the sea. The ospreys know exactly where the opportunities to catch fish are on the route to Africa.
In countries where they only migrate but do not breed, birdwatchers know where and when they have to go if they want to see an osprey.
(For a few years now, they have also started breeding again in France, Corsica, Andalusia and eastern Germany).
yes of course there are, only the young ospreys don't know yet, they have to look for it. The whole family doesn't fly together that their parents show them.
mogga

Post by mogga »

°°°
sova wrote: August 26th, 2021, 7:01 pm yes, I know that but in comparison to other nests, it goes very quickly here, in my opinion, too quickly
Yes, it went very quickly... :puzzled:
I know too little to have any ideas why it happened so quickly. Especially X4...
mogga

Post by mogga »

°°°

Some time ago I made a table with the weight of the ospreys at ringing. From both nests, Võrumaa and Tartumaa.

You can also see that X4 was particularly light at ringing compared to the others.

Or is that a mistake? I got the data either from the initial page or from the thread, if someone has translated what Urmas or another ornithologist said.

sova

Post by sova »

mogga wrote: August 26th, 2021, 7:26 pm °°°

Some time ago I made a table with the weight of the ospreys at ringing. From both nests, Võrumaa and Tartumaa.

You can also see that X4 was particularly light at ringing compared to the others.

Or is that a mistake? I got the data either from the initial page or from the thread, if someone has translated what Urmas or another ornithologist said.

https://up.picr.de/41913881to.jpg
thank you very much, mogga :2thumbsup:
Exactly, M2 was very light (my God, take a look at these comparisons) :slap: and most of all what I noticed was that he / she ate a lot less than M1
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Gavril wrote: August 26th, 2021, 6:16 pm Marko and the stick are my favorite theme!
:laugh:

Hellem :hi:
Gavril, mogga, sova, :hi:

thanks for the interesting comments!

Good night, dear M-team and -family!
(Marko, are you still here?)

20:55

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”