Eastern Imperial Eagle

All eagles except White-tailed and Spotted Eagles
Max Sonthonax

Re: Eastern Imperial Eagle

Post by Max Sonthonax »

5 June 2022 (Sunday)

In Nest: Altynai & 3 eaglets
Orientation: new, side-on, food distribution place, to the left of nest.

FEEDING TIME continues:

04.11.50 - Eaglet 2 starts the head-shaking side to side again, this time with Eaglet 1's facing in his direction. Eaglet 1 does a kind of neck tackle/restraint, then when the opposition melts away, head melts down onto the floor. I'd say he's had enough food for now.

04.12.07 - Altynai meanwhile moves around the nest bowl (to in front of the camera) to offer more food.

04.12.40 - Eaglet 2 reaches over the fluffy mass to ask again for food. Finally starts to have a proper meal. Eats all offered.
With some stringy bit of viscera, Altynai actually patiently tries 3-4 times to get Eaglet 2 to swallow it properly, eventually they succeed. Eaglet 1 effectively acts as Eaglet 2's plate!

04.17.00 - WIth a flap of the arms, Eaglet 1 is back up. Gets offered more food. Makes the gesture of eating, but the morsel ends up being offered next to Eaglet 2.
Again, Altynai patiently works at helping Eaglet 2 eat a stringy part.

Eaglet 1 is pretty much just an eager onlooker by this stage. Head gradually sinks lower & lower, even while still squatting!
Eaglet 2 eats on.

04.21.39 - Meal time is over. Altynai moves in & sits on her brood, shuffling round so her back ends up facing the camera.

Looks like Eaglet 3 didn't even wake up throughout the duration of this feeding.

Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

5 June 2022 (Sunday)

Orientation: facing almost directly away

04.24.00 - Altynai has settled in. Surveys the skyline quite calmly.
Brood is totally obscured in this confguration

Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

5 June 2022 (Sunday)

Orientation: (changed) sort of in the new food distribution position (including Abortive feeding time)

04.38.53 - Altynai stirs,des some unseen nesst bowl or brood business, then stands up.
[Tail ges RIGHT up into the lens, light shining through individual tail feathers!]

She stands clear of the squirming brood, as if preparing for a meal time.
The eaglets slowly wake up more, one risisng to a squat. It's Eaglet 1, self-grooming its front. The rest go back to resting.

She remains standing in that position. Perhaps it's simply to offer an "air bath" to the eaglets.

04.43.51 - Finally some food is pecked off & offered up to the only one awake. With that, even that eaglet collapses. (Abortive feeding time)

Altynai remains standing in that same spot. Gives herself an all-over body shake feather fluffing. Stares around at surrounding branches above briefly, then down at the nest, then her brood.

04.46.50 - FInally she goes back into the nest bowl, steps around the brood, pecks at some bugs.
The eaglets wriggle about, some yawns. They're all pretty committed to sleep.

Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

5 June 2022 (Sunday)

Orientation: (changed) facing right, perpendicular to camera.

04.48.00 - This is the the position she has settled into now: side on, facing right.

Altynai grooms herself, hovering over them, propping her front up.
One eaglet does join in with the grooming, possibly a second also?! Heads fidgetting.

05.00 00 - All looks to be the same.

05.20.00 - All looks to be the same.

Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

5 June 2022 (Sunday)

Orientation: (changed) in the new food distribution position

05.38.28 - Altynai rises & backs off the brood, stretching shoulders as she does so, characteristically. She's ended up back in the food allocation spot again, but is just grooming for now.

Eaglet 1 is wide awake, self-grooming along with mum. Looks up to her with interest. Now surveys the surrounds.
Apart from one other briefly stirred when Altynai stood up, the other two eaglets remain in slumber.

This grooming party goes on for a while, pretty much right up until the next feeding time, which begins just as I'm finishing at 6 o'clock, nest local time

Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

5 June 2022 (Sunday)

Orientation: in the new food distribution position

FEEDING TIME (2nd)

05.59.20 - This time it's the youngest who eats up.
Eaglet 3 has had head held aloft for a few minutes now, before Altynai ceases her extensive grooming regimen.
Altynai keeps up the fluffing of her feathers with a few more full body shakes during feeding.
Eaglet 1 is awake & noting the activity, yet stays facing away, & doesn't do more than turn a head towards the action, then rests again.

06.01.33 - Eaglet 2 wakes up to the fact that there's a feeding session happening & hastens to take pole position, stands right up high. Keeps getting offered the same medium-sized piece yet keeps dropping it!
Eaglet 3 is also ofered the same piece but it's still a bit too big for the littlest guy.
Somehow Eaglet 1's body still manages to end up between 2 & 3, even though lying off to the side of them both. The rivalry continues between the older siblings.

06.02.23 - Eaglet 2 gives Eaglet 3 a bit of a bop on the back of the head, so the latter decides to take a break. FINALLY eats that one piece!
Eaglet 3 passively strikes back by wedging its head under Eaglet 2's neck, resting on Eaglet 1's back.
Eaglet 2 keeps chowing down hard, despite the double-body barricade! :D

06.04.46 - Altynai offers another larger challenge to swallow, which Eaglet 2 manages much quicker.
Eaglet 1 turns head & gets offered a piece but theres no real interest in the food.
Back to Eaglet 2.

06.05.19 - Eaglet 1 (or hang on, is it 2 all along & I have them mixed up?) stands up & turns around, feeling sufficiently challenged by all the jostling by the clamour for food over him. I think it must be 2 now, because of the way thre fight goes.

[the rest of the details to be filled in shortly - see video above]

w
w
w
Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

Originally posted in the official journal (translated from Russian):

[_]
[_]
[_]
Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

[_]
[_]
[_]

Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

[_]
[_]
[_]
Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

3:58 Feeding 1

[_]
[_]
[_]
Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

Logs of past days to be added shortly. Meanwhile, today's log:...
Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

8 June 2022 (Wednesday):

In Nest: Altynai & the 3 eaglets
Orientation: Facing away from camera to the right, towards trunk (lens has drops of water on it)

01.40.00 - Altynai in the nest, can't say more than that at this stage -- too dark, still.

02.00.00 - Altynai facing the tree trunk, looking very very wet. Wind blowing quite strongly.

02.20.00 - Altynai remains in the same configuration.

02.40.00 - Looks exactly the same.
Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

8 June 2022 (Wednesday):

Orientation: Facing away from camera to the right, towards trunk (lens has drops of water on it)

03.00.00 - Looks exactly the same.

03.20.00 - Looks exactly the same.

03.40.00 - Looks exactly the same.

03.57.23 - Altynai gives herself a good shake.
Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

8 June 2022 (Wednesday):

04.00.00 - Looks exactly the same. Gives herself a BIG shake while still in the same posture.

04.20.00 - Looks exactly the same.

04.40.00 - Looks exactly the same.
Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

8 June 2022 (Wednesday):

05.00.00 - Looks exactly the same.

05.20.00 - Looks exactly the same.

05.40.00 - Looks exactly the same.

06.00.00 - Looks exactly the same.

I'm signing off now.
Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

9 June 2022 (Thursday):

Orientation: Facing the camera.

02.40.00 - eaglet huddled under Altynai.

03.00.00 I think I can see a 2nd eaglet huddled under, now.
Altynai has been grooming around between.

03.20.00 Right in 3:20, the big eaglet shoves it's head up enough to provoke Altynai to stand up.

03.21.15 - Altynai flies off after moving to the right branch.
The large one started bopping its head downwards repeatedly once Altynai was clear. Thus I have no idea if that 2nd eaglet is even still alive (I refuse to look in on You-Tube chat).
I think the 2nd one is still alive: Altynai was pecking around it & it seemed to twitch slightly. I won't speculate beyond that.
The large one stands tall, looking out & around at the action. The other(/s?!): can't even see any movement. Large one is also blocking the view.
Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

9 June 2022 (Thursday):

Orientation: irrelevant

- Altynai returns.
03.24.25 - is when Altynai returns, landing right in the nest.

She takes her time & looks around. For what seems an interminable amount of time. Eaglet 1 is asking for food. The longer he waits, the more he attacks the surviving eaglet.

She even looks down at the eaglets, as if waiting for one to take care of the other/s.

Urgh, I see as I skip back an eaglet fleeing to the outskirts of the nest. I've seen this before (elsewhere). I guess the 2nd one, while still alive, will be dead soon.

Yep, the favoured eaglet really bites down & digs in hard into the scalp of the smaller one, shaking its head as it does so for maximum damage.

03.26.23 - yep, the 2nd one begins to flee the nest bowl.

03.26.44 - Finally free of the clutches of its sibling's tearing beak, Eaglet 2 flees for to the side of the nest, taking refuge beside the tree's trunk.
Cries can be heard.

03.27.20? - Now Eaglet 1 fully goes for Eaglet 3 too. Repeatedly picking it up with its beak & tossing it back down into the nest bowl, only to do it again & again.

Altynai taps her beak quietly.
She spends the odd moment scrutinising the nest bowl contents as Eaglet 1 tears at its youngest sibling.

I can't even tell from here if Eaglet 3 is still alive while all this happens to him.

More cries can be heard, ongoing, on & off.

Eaglet (1 - let's just start saying "Eaglet" by by this stage, let's face it)
... takes a moment to groom itself. Altynai still stands there, looking yonder, into the nest bowl, back yonder, etc.

Eaglet 3 IS still moving. He's been tossed so much he's now to Eaglet's left side.

This will be a long & excruciating death for Eaglet 3.

Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

9 June 2022 (Thursday):

03.27.20? - Now Eaglet 1 fully goes for Eaglet 3 too. Repeatedly picking it up with its beak & tossing it back down into the nest bowl, only to do it again & again.

Altynai taps her beak quietly.
She spends the odd moment scrutinising the nest bowl contents as Eaglet 1 tears at its youngest sibling.

I can't even tell from here if Eaglet 3 is still alive while all this happens to him.

More cries can be heard, ongoing, on & off.

Eaglet (1 - let's just start saying "Eaglet" by by this stage, let's face it)
... takes a moment to groom itself. Altynai still stands there, looking yonder, into the nest bowl, back yonder, etc.

Eaglet 3 IS still moving. He's been tossed so much he's now to Eaglet's left side.

This will be a long & excruciating death for Eaglet 3.
Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

9 June 2022 (Thursday):

Eaglet moves past its youngest, dying sibling to ask for food again.

Finally Altynai moves.

03.35.10 - Feeding commences.

Altynai eats a big chunk. Eats some more. She feeds some tiny morsels to Eaglet, but mostly just eats herself.

03.37.~ - Feeding time proper finally underway.

So that was a good 10 minutes between Eaglet 2 being made to flee, under the mother's nose, to Eaglet 1 even being offered any food.
Max Sonthonax

Post by Max Sonthonax »

9 June 2022 (Thursday):

I think this is where I'll leave it.

Return to “Eagles”