Estonian Black Storks Migration 2022-2023 from Birdmap

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Anne7

Re: Estonian Black Storks Migration 2021 from Birdmap

Post by Anne7 »

Jo UK wrote: December 16th, 2021, 12:27 pm Juta or Anne will post some of those photos from Soner.
Here you are, Jo

© Soner Bekir

© Soner Bekir

© Soner Bekir

Very sad pictures. 😢
But it is good that little Katrin's body was found, and also that the transmitter has been recovered.

Thanks again, Soner.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

Good day

Thank you Soner, Mr. Urmas, Jo, Anne ...
They are very sad pictures. I know it's nature, it's life ... only, I can't get used to things like that and say; it's just so...

Poor Katrin ... :sad:
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Very legitimate mourning. It's beyond "every single bird counts".You all know that losses are to be expected. But you knew this bird. You were eagerly following her tracks, and she was a representative of her species.

I want to thank Soner for so tenderly lifting up her head and showing her face.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Susanne :wave:
Soner himself was so sad to have found dead Katrin. His journey was 110 Km from his place to Katrin's location. I think it took him about 90 minutes. And then to return, with Katrin's body. He will try to find a veterinarian to examine her, but he thinks it may be difficult in his area - Izmir.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Now we have more information. Soner took Katrin to Dr. Ömer Döndüren
Ornitolog, İzmir Metropolitan Municipality. Thanks to Urmas, who forwarded the X-ray photos to Juta, Anne and me, we can see what happpened. X-rays were taken at İzmir Doğal Yaşam Parkı (zoo).

There are fractures of the right metacarpals. On X-ray it looks like a recent fracture as there is no callus formation (new bone growth) to be seen.
Katrin weighed only 1.8kg.

We are all so grateful to our Turkish colleagues who volunteer their time and efforts to quickly, with dedication.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

If anyone wants to repost these pictures please remember to remove the img tag from front and rear of the link. It saves a lot of space and unnecessary repetition. It leaves the link to be clicked and seen just as easily.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Hello!

power lines, again and again.
It's so easy to make them more visible to birds.
Of course, many people have other concerns.
But:
I once saw a young swan doing practice flights with the family fly into a power line.
The wonderful sight of the flight from the five swans changed so unexpectedly and abruptly, into a horrible sight.
Often they break their wings and die (slowly) at the bottom
But it was probably a quick end for that juvenile swan. I was quickly there, it was over, the impact on the ground was fatal.
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Oh Biker :cry: For you to witness such a thing must have been terrible. Another beautiful bird just - gone.
This feels like a sad day for us all.
Treia

Post by Treia »

Hello!
by asteria » December 10th, 2021, 7:54 pm
Thanks asteria, I have to take a peek.

Little Katrin's life... however, she managed to see and experience quite a lot
on her journey... so beautiful and so sad.

But despite the sorrows....
happy Christmas waiting to all of you!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

December 23rd

:hi:

Birdmap update TIMMU
Last data: 01.12.2021
Distance: 6872 km (+57 km in 9 days)

Previous update: https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 91#p835091

On December 1st, Timmu was still in his wintering area in Ethiopia, northeast of Metema, looking for food in the Atbarah River, near the little village Wedi Gemzo (ወዲ ገምዞ)

https://up.picr.de/42680924bh.jpg

“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

A zoomed-in view of Timmu's last known location.
Something is cultivated in this bend of the Atbarah River.

Google Earth view (to the south)

:wave:
— Irene Pepperberg
bigfan

Post by bigfan »

Happy Christmas and thanks to you all !!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

…….…..M E R R Y .C H R I S T M A S

……………….…….. 🎄 ⛄️ 🎄

May this season be full of light and laughter
…. for you, your friends and your family!

Isaac La Grese (active mid 1500s)
Black Stork (Ciconia nigra), Juvenile, ca. 1554-1564

Copyright New-York Historical Society
https://emuseum.nyhistory.org/objects/6 ... 4a4e&idx=2
— Irene Pepperberg
Thomas Niiström

Post by Thomas Niiström »

A new and hopefully happy 2022 is approaching. Thank you for all the contributions in this forum during the last year. So instructive for me.
A big thanks also to you who makes it possible to follow B.S ' growths in the youtube channel. Almost 24/7 sometimes for me ...
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all and to our wonderful flying friends. I will not forget the struggle of life for Katrin, Julge and others...
Lusciniole

Post by Lusciniole »

:hi: Hello to the whole team! I'm always here to read you and follow the events. And ready to take a closer look at what's going on above my head. To share your wonder and your sorrows. Happy New Year everyone!
sova

Post by sova »

Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Hello all good people! :hi:
Thank you for all the information.
I'm very, very sad about little Katrin...

Anne and Sova, thank you for your interesting and beautiful greetings!

I will also add something found on the internet.

BLACK STORK-CICONIA NIGRA ‘Ciconia nigra’ [SEPP and NOZEMAN, 1770]
"This antique print originates from: “Nederlandsche Vogelen”, (English: Dutch birds) a five volume Dutch natural history compendium by Cornelius Nozeman and Christiaan Sepp, published in Amsterdam from 1770. It was published in instalments and was finished in 1829. It was the first comprehensive avifauna of the Netherlands (which temporarily included Belgium during 1815 – 1830)."
https://pictura-prints.com/product/blac ... eman-1770/

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, I hope the new year will be better than the previous one!
:wave:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

December 28th

Hello everyone !
Susanne, Biker, Jo, Treia, Bigfan, Thomas, Lusciniole, Sova, Heloise :wave:

Birdmap update TIMMU
Last data: 05.12.2021
Distance: 6896 km (+25 km in 4 days)

On December 5th, Timmu was still in his wintering area in Ethiopia, northeast of Metema, looking for food in the Atbarah River, not far from the little village Wedi Gemzo (ወዲ ገምዞ)

— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

I found this fascinating story on twitter, lived by a group of Spanish archaeologists.
It happened near the village of Wedi Gemzo (and provides us with some nice images of Timmu's wintering area. :D )

Guerra en la Universidad
"Archaeology of the contemporary world. Archaeology of conflict. Africa. History is what hurts."
https://twitter.com/guerraenlauni/statu ... 0625394699

(Translated)
"… I'm going to tell you about another time I almost died doing fieldwork. And while I'm at it, I'll tell you an interesting archaeological story. Join me on a dangerous trip to the Wadi Gemzo cave.->

The story starts with a failure. We have been prospecting for a week with little results in the Metema region, on the border between NW Ethiopia and Sudan. It is our last day in the area and we found nothing. We return to our camp in a disappointed mood. ->

© Guerra en la Universidad

On the way, we stop to talk to some workers repairing a bridge. We ask if they know of any ancient remains in the area. They hesitate. An older man says: "Yes. A cave with Arabic writing". Cave? Writing? Sounds good. ->

We arrange three guys with Kalashnikovs (the area is unstable and there are road robbers) and drive to the cave. It's nearby the village of Wadi Gemzo. The access is easy, except for the final stretch through a narrow valley with rocky and slippery walls.->

When we reach the entrance of the cave, we immediately notice the "writing" - it is rock art! These are geometric motifs arranged in such a way that they resemble writing. We shout for joy. This is an exceptional find!->

The screaming was a mistake, because there is a huge bee nest. And they swarm out when they hear us. Thousands of black bees. We scream again, this time out of fear, and run away without looking back. We continue screaming, now in pain, when they start stinging us.->

We ran down the valley, slid down the slopes, hit the rocks and got scraped by the overgrowth, but we made it to the off-road vehicle after a frantic race.->

We were lucky. It could have been much worse. The question now is what to do? In the whole stretch from the Red Sea to Uganda there is only one known site with cave paintings.This is a unique find, should we let it go? "-> ...

The entire story and more pictures here:
https://twitter.com/guerraenlauni/statu ... 0625394699

An academic report of that discovery (among others) here, p. 95 and further.
“Archaeological and ethno-archaeological survey of Metema and Qwara (Ethiopia)”
https://www.academia.edu/21865797/Prosp ... op%C3%ADa_
— Irene Pepperberg
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Hello Anne! :hi:

Thanks a lot! An interesting story!
:thumbs:
And it's nice to know where Timmu spends his winter vacation :rolleyes:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”