Re: Estonian Black Storks Migration 2021 from Birdmap

Post by Anne7 »

Hellem :wave: :D

TRACKER MAP
KATRIN - NOVEMBER 11th
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Today, Katrin flew 62.9 km.
First she visited her appreciated wetlands near Çandarlı. :D
Then she flew to the north-east again, and is now near the village Armağanlar, Bergama district, İzmir province, Turkey.
That is south of the town Bergama.

Google Earth view on Katrin's last known location. View to the south.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

November 12th

Good morning. :hi:

This morning, KATRIN flew back to her previous location, between the villages Işıklar and Yayakent, Kınık district, İzmir province, Turkey. :D

She flew 15.6 km.
Battery 75%

At 09:09:44 (UTC+2), Katrin is back at the Yayaköy Creek near the quarry. 8-)
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

TRACKER MAP
KATRIN - NOVEMBER 12th (entire day)

Total distance: 20.1 km
Battery: 81%

After her return this morning, little Katrin is still between the villages Işıklar and Yayakent, Kınık district, İzmir province, Turkey. :D

Today, Katrin spent a lot of time fishing in the Yayaköy Creek, and then went to sleep in her usual place in the forest.

Good night! :wave:
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

November 13th

Good morning! :hi:

This morning, KATRIN is still between the villages Işıklar and Yayakent, Kınık district, İzmir province, Turkey. :D

Distance flown: 540 m
Battery 73%
The battery level has dropped below 75%. So we are currently seeing fewer location points (1 per hour).

Breakfast in the Yayaköy Creek

Scenery in Katrin's area.
(photo taken in Karatekeli - see the location on the 1st map in this post)
© https://www.facebook.com/karatekelimahallesi
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

TRACKER MAP
KATRIN - NOVEMBER 13th (entire day)

Distance flown: 27.5 km
Battery level: 78%

Today, Katrin didn't stay near Yayakent.
She first flew a little to the west, then a little to the north-east.
She is currently near a cattle farm within Kaşıkçı, east of the city Bergama, Bergama district, İzmir province, Turkey.

She has been looking for food in a ditch, and then flew to a field (or meadow) a bit north of it.

It looks like Katrin was catching something in a small pond in that meadow, near the cattle farm.

Good night!
:wave:
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

14. November

Good morning to all
Anne, are you no longer posting Katrin's tracker map?
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

:hi:

13.11 Birdmap update:

Katrin - 3738 km (+39 km in 2 days), she sent data near Bergama inTurkey

Eedi - 6302 km (+131 km in 9 days), wintering area, sent data near Alfaraah, Saudi Arabia

Anne, sova :D
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

sova wrote: November 14th, 2021, 8:49 am Good morning to all
Anne, are you no longer posting Katrin's tracker map?

Hello Sova. :wave:

No, for the time being I deliberately don't post the tracker maps that I make. I only post the images and some additional information such as distance travelled, location etc.

I did not want to make a fuss about it on the forum, but now that you are asking about it, you (and everyone else) have the right to an honest response.

We have noticed that an (ex?)member of LKF has started her own forum, and a Facebook page about BS and their migration.
That is her right. It is perfectly fine, and we wish her success.

What is NOT OK, however, is that systematically our tracker maps are published on that forum and sometimes on that Facebook page.
We have also noticed that the data (embedded in the tracker maps) are also systematically extracted from the tracker maps, to make 3D flight simulations (by uploading the data in Ayvri).
The source (LKF) or the authors (respectively Jo UK, Juta or me) of the tracker maps are never granted or mentioned.

They only mention: "Tracker map is provided by Ornitela".
This is cutting some important corners. And they know that.
I will make it clear.
- Ornitela retrieves the data sent by the transmitters. These data are basically lists of figures. Ornitela does NOT provide tracker maps, Ornitela provides data.
- Kotkaklubi pays Ornitela for this service.
- Ornitela is NOT publicly accessible.
Urmas kindly gave Jo, Juta and me access to the Ornitela data in order to create tracker maps for LKF.
- Jo, Juta and I download the data in Ornitela, then create the tracker maps in an app, store them in our personal Google My Maps accounts and post the tracker map links on Looduskalender. We spend a lot of care, time and work on this every day.

It is silly and inappropriate for people from the other forum to monitor LKF closely around tracker map time, every day. Once our tracker map is posted, they copy it, to post it on their forum (if there’s no recent birdmap update) and/or to make the daily 3D flights.
On top of that, they act as if they have access to the data and as if the tracker maps are their own creation, by saying for example, and I quote literally:
"November 11
Good news! Today we have data from UDU! He is alive and well! :D
More info soon!"

Then they wait until I have created and posted Udu's tracker map, and copy it on their forum. A bit later, they also finish extracting the data, uploading it in Ayvri, and post a 3D flight...

I have requested legal information regarding this copyright infringement.
The dossier is not complete yet, but the answer is already clear:
- The DSM Copyright Directive provides content creators with greater control over where their copyrighted material appears online and require online platforms to intervene to tackle unauthorised use of the material by users.
- If protected content is not licensed and its use is not permitted by law, the platform operator is obliged to remove the corresponding content or block access to it upon complaint by the rights holder(s) (thus the content creators).

It is a pity and annoying that we are in this situation.
We have no intention of splitting hairs, and we're definitely not going to make any complaint for the occasional use of a tracker map by people who have the courtesy to add a link to the LK-post.

But what is happening systematically now goes against all benevolent and correct behaviour.

I hope the people involved read this and realise that they are seriously risking that their Facebook account, their forum and their account on Ayvri will be blocked.
I hereby kindly request that they reconsider their actions.
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

Anne7 wrote: November 14th, 2021, 4:22 pm ....
I did not want to make a fuss about it on the forum, but now that you are asking about it, you (and everyone else) have the right to an honest response.
Anne, thank you very much for the detailed answer! Understood....
I almost * lost * myself, only when reading :mrgreen:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I wanted to do Eedi update.I better let it be.

Have a nice time everyone!
bigfan

Post by bigfan »

[quote=Anne7
[/quote]

Thank you Anne for the information. I thought this user was blocked 🤔
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

KATRIN

From tracker map 14.11

It seems that Katrin had the day off and flew only 5.64 km still near Bergama

Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

14.11 Birdmap update:

Katrin - 3743 km (+5 km), she is still near Bergama inTurkey

juta :D
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Anne7 wrote: November 14th, 2021, 4:22 pm ...

What is NOT OK, however, is that systematically our tracker maps are published on both that forum and that Facebook page.

I have requested legal information regarding this copyright infringement.
- If protected content is not licensed and its use is not permitted by law, the platform operator is obliged to remove the corresponding content or block access to it upon complaint by the rights holder(s) (thus the content creators).
But what is happening systematically now goes against all benevolent and correct behaviour.

I hope the people involved read this and realise that they are seriously risking that their Facebook account, their forum and their account on Ayvri will be blocked.
I support you and your work, Anne7, Jo Uk and Juta :heart: and disapprove systematic copying of information from LK Forum as a cheap attempt to gain popularity by cheap means.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Owlie wrote: November 15th, 2021, 1:43 pm and disapprove systematic copying of information from LK Forum as a cheap attempt to gain popularity by cheap means.
systematically copied from other side and pasted here :rotf:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 31#p832731
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Hellem wrote: November 14th, 2021, 10:59 am .....
Eedi - 6302 km (+131 km in 9 days), wintering area, sent data near Alfaraah, Saudi Arabia
thank you, Hellem :2thumbsup: :D

Eedi update:

previous update:
04.11.2021, distance 6171 km

New data
13.11.2021 6302 km (+131 km)

A sewage treatment plant in Al-Namas

Anne, Juta, :wave: I will answer later (PM)
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Liz01 wrote: November 15th, 2021, 3:00 pm systematically copied from other side and pasted here :rotf:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 31#p832731

Liz01 , an OT answer to an OT comment:

I have personal permission from every photographer whose pictures (from FB) I have shared here at LK Forum,
here the actual one: (all permissions have been asked before sharing the very first picture)
Liz01 wrote:
Do you want more? I can send you a PM with all the permissions.
EDIT PS: I think the photos I share add value to the thread as they are taken by ground photographers, not from the net cams.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello everyone :wave:
Bigfan, Juta, Hellem, Owlie, Liz :hi:

TRACKER MAP
KATRIN - NOVEMBER 15th

Total distance: 32.2 km
Battery level: 72% (so we receive again fewer location points)

Today, little Katrin flew a bit westwards.
She is currently a little east of the small villages Uzunburun and Esentepe.

Uzunburun is a village in the Dikili district of the İzmir Province, Turkey. At 39°01′N 26°54′E it is situated to the east of Dikili. As of 2011, the population of Uzunburun was 146 people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzunburun

Esentepe is a village in Dikili district of İzmir Province, Turkey. It is situated on the road connecting Dikili to Çandarlı. The distance to Dikili is 7 kilometres and to İzmir is 102 kilometres. The population of Esentepe was 288 as of 2011.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esentepe,_Dikili

— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

View of the Esentepe area and a White stork's nest on an electricity pylon. This looks quite dangerous. :slap:
June 2021
© Yasujiro Ozu; https://goo.gl/maps/Wxx24hMQhbm7cdnn6

Scenery around Esentepe. June 2021.
(The road from Çandarlı to Dikili)
© Yasujiro Ozu; https://goo.gl/maps/WFYaXSaU2BeTMoZ66

Google Earth view of Katrin's current location.
View to the northwest. On the left Esentepe and Uzunburun. In the distance Dikili, the Aegean Sea and the island Lesbos.

Good night, everyone :wave:
— Irene Pepperberg
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

15.11 Birdmap update:

Katrin - 3775 km (+32 km), she sent data near Esentepe in Turkey

Anne, Liz :wave:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”