Estonian White-tailed Sea Eagle Nest Camera 2022

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Estonian White-tailed Sea Eagle Nest Camera 2022

Post by ame »

hello! :hi:
Susanne wrote: May 14th, 2022, 9:03 am ...
:laugh: Stunning technique of the youngster - and really so simple: Stand on the 'plastic thing in the etc.' , THEN tear off little pieces :mrgreen : which works out quite well.
that seems very much like the normal technique which eagles use for cutting and eating their prey with harder skin and bones than fish have. :laugh:
i hope that the eagle wasn't actually eating any of that thing though... anyway, if the eagle ate anything it would be rejected and thrown out in a pellet.

i suppose that Urmas and Triin and/or other people from Kotkaklubi are watching the camera at time to time and reading the forum. i think they are aware of what is going on with the "Thing" and will take some action if it's necessary.

Finnish eagle men tried to set up a camera at a WTE nest a few years ago, but that attempt failed because some animal (a pine marten if i remember right) chewed and cut their cables. the cover of the cable or the insulation material was so tasty for the animal. :mrgreen:
at Durbe wasps built their nest in the camouflage net around the cable connector box which is in the nest tree under the nest. so the camera system should be not only eagle-proof but also resistant against any kinds of animals, big and small. :whistling:
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Thank you very much for the answer, ame!

I haven't seen the youngster swallowing any of the parts he managed to tear off. :2thumbsup: Most of the others just tried to tear it out and see where it ended ....and how long this interesting thing was.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

18:24: It's the time of the small birds. Tits (Blue, Great and Marsh/Willow) search in the nest and the tree for useful or edible items.
Bigger birds such as our well-known wood pigeons use the tree for their 'pigeon play' (song and undulating flightshow), and a woodpecker could be heard chirping and knocking/drumming.
18:32:24: The wood pigeon darts off to the left. (from the right branch)
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

19:18 ff: 'Smiley' arrives on the nest, no calling, panting, and instantly lies down in the nest. She spreads her wings, she is hot from the flight.
19:23: Still panting. Her left wing looks 'ruffled'. Has she been chased?
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

I have rewatched her arrival - and I think she has bloody marks on her talons.(19:20:12)
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

20:34: 'Smiley'-> PS on the nest. Then she jumps on the p-branch.
She has been watching the surroundings very closely, she is not really relaxed.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

21:15: By now, she seems to have calmed down. A wood pigeon is 'keeping her company' and sings in the tree.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

21:45: 'Smiley' moves from the p-branch to a lower branch at the right. -An elk cow with her young one crosses the meadow from the right, passes the birches and then moves on into the woods.
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

May 15.

Good morning,

06:12
the pair comes.

05:58
female on the nest and male on the branch.

08:01
both fly away.
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Good morning to all, thank you IceAge! :thumbs: for the beautifull pics., the morning light is just fantastic today, Sunday weather :D

07:21 ff. : E 340 and 'Smiley' showed some 'sweet' interactions on the nest this morning: (now, don't bash me for the word "sweet"): they shared the space in the nest bowl, looking at each other; when E 340 lay down in the bowl, he tucked a little - but, for me, not aggressively or really annoyed, at 'Smiley's wing feathers. It seemed all polite and courteous - can't find any better words now.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

09:58: Eagles not at home - wood pigeons in. Somewhere on a branch singing.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

11:51 f.: The pair arrives - E 340 lands directly in the nest, 'Smiley' perches on the p-branch first, short calling.
Then she joins E 340 in the nest bowl, both are poking.
11:53: They 'half'-lie down both, but 'Smiley' then lies down fully, so the space issue is settled :mrgreen:
E 340 tries "kissy-beaky",stands next to her.
11:56: He nibbles softly at her head and earns a glance that says: Not now. (But she doesn't peck at him)

11:57 f.: E 340 seems to be a little frustrated (no place in the bowl, no mating) and starts to work on the famous plastic thing in the corner, which he usually ignores.'Smiley' watches closely what her mate is doing there.
12:14: Meanwhile, E 340 is more or less content with his place in the corner, and 'Smiley' takes a nap.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

12:18:58: E 340 jumps onto the p-branch, after having worked on a twig at the nest rim, just behind 'Smiley's tail.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

12:32: E 340 leaves- to the right (where the wind pushes him).
12:33: 'Smiley' flies away, after PS on the nest (rim...), perching on the p-branch: straight over the meadow, then with appropriate hight to the left and over the tree tops of the wood.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

16:33: 'Smiley' arrives at the p-branch, no calling, then directly jumps into the nest bowl. She lies down and rests.
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

Susanne :thumbs: .

16:55
Smiley still on the nest.
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

:hi: IceAge!

... and showing her smiley tailmarks very well :D
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

19:10: 'Smiley' has spent some time with preening. - A woodpigeon flies to the left, a second one perches on the p-branch, then flies over to the other woodpigeon, song continues. - WTEs and woodpigeons seem to get along well!
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

19:31 sth.: 'Smiley' perches on the p-branch now.
1953:40: Something catches her attention, she looks down and then jumps to a lower branch at the right, from there she leaves at 19:54:05 (if I have seen it correctly), direction: area behind cam.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

20:08: Cam is turned off. - and back again at 20:09.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”