Moderator: ame

Susanne

Re: Estonian White-tailed Sea Eagle Nest Camera 2022

Post by Susanne »

19:28: Impressive - whatever you are.

ame

Post by ame »

good morning!
Susanne wrote: September 15th, 2022, 6:45 pm ...
We have seen that, besides conquering a nest site, the bonding between females and males is far from a simple "you male?- I female -> OK! (and vice versa)".
The age structure of candidates was interesting as well. There was quite a number of sub-adults that tried their luck.
But one of the most - for me - surprising - twists was what 'Smiley' did: She fought to get her male back, after three weeks, I think it was. Happy 'Reconquista'! I don't know how often this has been observed before.
thank you Susanne for this summary!

these nest cameras have proven to be almost more interesting in those seasons when there have been no breeding pairs present. this has become at least my conclusion and it's against the obvious expectation. we see more eagles and a lot more happening than only mummy eagle feeding her babies and the babies making poop shots. that is always almost the same every year.

especially the pair formation seems to be a much more complicated process than what the books say: "white-tailed sea eagles are monogamous and faithful to one spouse all their lives". :laugh:
that gives a much too simplified picture of their family life. the last words "all their lives" includes the first clue: the life can be long or short. what will then happen to the family and/or the spouse who is left behind? we saw one possible answer at the Durbe nest in 2020. the end result was the obvious: the chicks died in the end but what happened before that was quite unprecedented.

there also seems to be a wide spectrum in the ways in which the eagles find a spouse. they seem to start dating with possible candidates many years before they are mature to breed. sometimes it seems to be a simple 'boy meets girl' event in the style "you male?- I female -> OK!" as Susanne wrote. this is what seemed to happen when Milda met Raimis. for them conquering the territory seemed to be more important than finding a spouse. especially Milda seems to be very practical in this sense: any male seems to be ok for her. :mrgreen:
she changes males as the average girl changes shoes. :whistling:

we have seen other kind of eagles, too, like Smiley here. after Durbe disappeared Robert didn't want to bond with any of the young princesses who tried to woo him. he chose to leave the territory. the same happened to Vents after his fiancée Shilute disappeared, he also left. it seems that eagles are individual and don't have a straightforward program which they follow in their pair selection. this is very interesting. we wouldn't know much anything about this without these nest cameras. :2thumbsup:
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Thank you so much for these comments, ame! :thumbs: Absolutely enlightening, since you have years of experience in watching them - and seeing them come and go, due to so many (possible) reasons. -
I share the view that these nest cameras without any breeding business/success have delivered so many insights into the - let me call it: possible 'daily life' of a WTE. Even if it is a kind of superficial insight, since we see only a spatial sector of what is going on around and about. Still, a heap of information to be assessed and processed by ornithologists. - I'll have to go through the Haliaeetus albicilla-collection when the season turns out to be more calm, because when I was trying to find more information especially on the WTE and his bonding and/or territoriality behaviour, info is sparse and quite shattered ( my impression). -So, maybe time for professionals to venture a monothematic (WTE) study (overview) on WTEs, and clear up some of these persisting myths?

I came across something which happened on a Bald Eagle nest in 2019 that you (all) maybe know of: Fulton, Mississippi River: Two Dads and a female were raising three eaglets, interesting story about the history of this special parenting formation.
https://www.audubon.org/news/a-rare-bal ... ebcam-fans

So, almost anything seems possible- not usual, but possible. Never exclude something just because it doesn't seem to fit one's expectations/mindset. And, as I get it, very much linked to the individual character of the eagles (like famous Durbe-Milda :laugh: I would characterize her as pragmatic through and through).
jersi

Post by jersi »

Hello!

Is there a review or publication somewhere about sea eagles with transmitters?
Birdmap has almost as many sea eagle routes as black stork routes.
For example, the project started last year on the sea eagle mother-daughter route is/will be interesting.
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

October 05.

Good morning,

07:05

07:18

07:19
and away
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Thank you very much, IceAge! :thumbs: for catching the moment- I was away for a few days.- Looks like 'Smiley',what do you think? Unfortunately, the cam was turned off again, and there is no recording of the past hours available. Well, we'll see. 8-)
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

Susanne :hi: , I also think it's Smiley.
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

Hello,

07:21

07:23
a second WTE

07:29
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

07:31

07:34

09:22
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

Both are up the tree.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

:headroll: :faint: Thank you IceAge!!! :thumbs: I didn't expect the cam to come back - suddenly and unexpected, ha!

Back at 13:27:

This could be E 340 - he's checking his ID :laugh:
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

The thick branch at the nest rim seems to be new - or moved from another place to this one, hard to tell. The landscape has changed so quickly, full autumn now, the nest tree has lost most of the leaves, and the view on the 'brook alley' down at the left is more open.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Sapristi! At 13:57, the cam says good-bye.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

09:41 ff.: Interesting things going on in the nest tree. One eagle in the nest - another one on a branch in the middle. The eagle in the nest, in my humble opinion, is a stranger. I am not quite sure about the sex of the WTE.(are these ankles fleshy enough to be a female's?)

The head is lighter, and there is no 'fight scar' on the right of the beak.-When that WTE jumps up to a branch at the left, it is time for the WTE on the middle branch to claim the place in the nest and chase the stranger out:

Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Now we could see the tail of the WTE who pushed the stranger to the p-branch:

And we can see her beak: there is the fight scar on the right. I would say THIS is 'Smiley'.
09:43: Presumed 'Smiley' goes after the stranger and perches next to him/her on the p-branch, she finally manages to shove the stranger away; the strange WTE flies onto a branch at the right.

10:09:42: The WTE on the p-branch flies off to the right - followed (!) by the WTE that had perched on a branch at the right.
All this happens in utter silence - not a single sound (calling,whining, moaning or other) from both WTEs.
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

Susanne :hi: .

Hope dies last :mrgreen: .
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

October 25.

Good morning,

07:54

09:02
Smilie turns around.

09:07
and away
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

:headroll: Ha, I thought the return of the cam was due, the Kaljukotkas cam also does a nice job after having been turned off for quite a while.
Thank you IceAge, as always :thumbs:

Our beloved sweeties, uhm, back to factual: the current nest owners did a good job regarding nestauration: the comfy zone - bowl with stuffing material for bedding purposes - has noticeably been worked over. :D
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

15:26: I hear two voices!
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

18:10 (approx.): Battery power - finito for today, it seems. Mike still on, but it's only the rain you hear (it has been raining all day long). :wave:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”