Goshawk Nest in Riga 2022

Goshawk nests in Latvia
Polly

Re: Goshawk Nest in Riga 2022

Post by Polly »

Emiliano :2thumbsup: , thanks for yesterday's report!
Pending the July 8th supplement:

14:23 - 35 Visit a Hawklet.
It falls somewhat ungallantly from above into the nest. :whistling:
Helps itself to the bird that H44 brought into the nest long ago.

'31 Siblings or parents... the hawklet doesn't miss it, it watches very closely.
'35 out towards the yellow pole with shouts.

"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

A significant event in my opinion.
16:28 One of the male hawklets enters the nest via the side branch and begins to eat the remains of the bird carcass.

'31 H97 flutters onto the side branch...both coat. Or am I wrong and H97 is keeping her wings wide for other reasons? It's also possible that H97 is playing with the weather and still upset from recent events...maybe trying to hunt. :nod:

She leaves the branch again...another sibling can be seen flying far below.
However, H97 returns - this time straight to the nest. It seems the brother shows reverence for his sister? He almost escapes from the nest.

H97 stays and gives free rein to her unbridled energy. :innocent:

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

We have incredible insights into the development of the young Mini-H's this season.
Unlike in previous years, they are more in the nest, or at least can be heard interacting with their parents, and not so abruptly absent.
I daresay we've already lost one of the four Hawklets.
If we observe them, it is actually impossible that they are already independent and could leave the territory. And for a long time we hardly hear more than three young voices.
I noticed that in the next case the siblings handle the food in the nest very differently. H97 shows a hunt and eat procedure - the brother is primarily hungry.
Furthermore, we can sometimes observe that the Hawklets sometimes still have difficulties dismantling the carcasses. The bundles of joy will probably have to learn for a while. :nod:

Not the spectacular videos. Good to see the difference, even if it's just a snapshot.

H97

A brother
(H97 is still perched high on the side branch)
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

July 10th

06:21 A male hawklet flutters into the nest.
Looks somewhat piqued at the empty plate and begins to pull weeds. :laugh:
Look again stunned over the edge of the nest - it is absolutely quiet in the area. Really quiet.

Amid the morning glory, the young almost silently begin to grab prey that isn't there in the nest.
His graceful dancing is very warm to see...although his stomach still remains empty. :innocent:

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

08:38 Hawklet jumps onto the upper branch and calls - my spontaneous thought: Oh, that can only be H97. :D
She doesn't come into the nest, instead she flaps onto the side branch and climbs all the way to the top.

She sits there until 09:07
Then she flies hurriedly and shouting into the group of trees on the left.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

No other sightings so far, but two of the Minis have been heard.

I have now treated myself to the chiffchaff.
Hm, the H-dwarves nag in between, but the combination is fine. :mrgreen: :innocent:

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Emiliano, do you hear that... ?
20:44:35 We haven't had this reputation at H21 for a long time. Previously, this call was made in particularly urgent situations?
Before, after Hawklet.

General question: Are the Mini-Hs to be called Hawklets or Juveniles? :puzzled:
This has been keeping me busy for a few days. I can't find an answer.
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

July 11

Hello Polly and everyone. :wave:

You can only hear at most three at a time more or less, we cannot say that there has been a safe drop but it is possible.

The sound of chickens in flight is usually somewhat different from the sound they make while perched or on branches.

What we are seeing is how the chickens follow their parents and eat what they deliver but surely they learn quickly (they have "fame"), the first day they hunt something totally on their own will mark a turning point but they can be maintained in the surroundings coming and going. There is talk of about 45 days through the territory after flying, and from January the true dispersion can begin with the beginning of the heat in the face of possible independence.

As for the nomenclature, young birds could be called until they acquire adult plumage and even so the H's are still young adults .

The sounds of the chicks are almost 100 % what we call begging or begging, perhaps associated with when they ask for food in the nest but they can't always be asking for food, they also do it after eating. It is the way to relate to yours.

More than 20 years ago, two recently flown chickens were chasing each other with their typical screeches, I saw clearly at that moment that they were playing. Although I was only there for a short time (about five minutes) they paid no attention to me and continued to do their thing without flinching from my presence.

A greeting and we are really enjoying your presence and behavior.

Goodnight
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

July 13

Hello Polly and everyone. :wave:

10:16 - 10:22 Sound of chickens outside.

10:50 - 11:50 Sounds and sighting.

Cross a tall one from right to left.(10:56:52)

14:10 - 14:54 Chicken or chickens in nest.

She enters calling a chicken to the branch. (14:10:34)
She goes down to the nest and lies down (14:12:40 ...)
Sounds outside and immediately answers from the branch. (14:18)
It climbs on the branch and ends up coming out (14:21:08)
She comes back again and lies down for a bit (14:25 -27)
A second chicken enters and after a few shouts the two leave (14:50 - 52)
One is seen traversing away low near the factory (14:52:46)
There is the sound of two chickens outside (14:53 - 54 )

16:45 - 17:42 Sounds and chicken on the branch

Sounds of two or three outside and one enters the branch (17:37:42)
He leaves and the calls continue somewhat ( 17:41:17 to 17:42 )

In the afternoon and at the last minute they have also been active with their calls.

Regards and good night
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

July 14

Hello Polly and everyone :wave:

7:31 - 8:24
Scattered calls from outside, more at the end.

9:03 - 9:43
Almost continuous calls and sounds.
Twice H44 appears entering with prey and leaving later (9:38:58 to 9:40:26) and (9:41:40 to 9:43:01). The chickens are closer now.
The tail feathers appear lighter as if they were already new.

12:04 - 13:38
Period of considerable sound activity of the chickens.
One of the chicks flies back and forth to the right and below the nest. (13:35:44)
Air is rising.

16:21 - 16:25
The sounds of chicken are getting closer.
It perches on a branch without being seen (16:22:06) and appears perched shortly after on the lower right branch (16:22:30) to leave it (16:25:01).

The rest of the afternoon has been windy and rainy several times with very little activity heard.

Goodnight.
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

July 15

Hello Polly and everyone :hi:

5:29 - 5:35
First calls, some far away, answering each other.

6:39 - 8:44

It follows the same pattern, one moves closer and from time to time is in the vicinity and others further away.
They do not appear to have perched on the nest.
It may also be that there are other chickens from close pairs.

Some of them have been around for a month since they took their first flight and they will be expanding in distance exploring more and more distant places.
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

... July 15

8:56:50 The siren goes off through the factory.
9:17:15 A little bird walks around the nest.
10:04 - 10:33 Chicken calls.

10:50 - 16:36

Periods of air, rain, sun and chicken calls alternate.

19:22:14 The calls of the chickens are already sounding near the nest.
20:03 - 20:07 Quite continuous calls.

20:07:08 H44 enters the nest with a prey, one of the chicks appears and stays plucking and eating it (20:07:43) while H44 leaves right away.
The chicken climbs the branch after eating and leaves the tree (20:48:46).
At the end of the day there is also strong wind (23:05).

Goodnight
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

July 16

Hello Polly and everyone. :hi:

It begins with distant and close calls of chickens at 4:53:15 until 4:57:17, when one of them enters the nest passing through a branch and pecks and eats a rest of the prey, passing through several different branches. to get out of the nest (5:01:56).

More calls follow until (6:56:19) when H44 enters with a prey, restless and looking a lot until a chicken appears in the nest (6:57:56) to leave at that moment as he does lately. The chicken follows him in flight.
The calls continue and H44 enters again with the prey through the lower branch on the right (7:02:22) , comes out again and ... will continue outside with the learning of his chickens walking and showing the prey.(7:03:44).

The calls continue throughout the morning until (8:48)
Polly

Post by Polly »

Emiliano, I greet you very warmly! Thank you for your perseverance!!!!
I still follow daily in the background, also take pictures. When I'm feeling better, I'll catch up on the last few days or, to put it better, supplement them. I can't yet.
You kept up very, very well - thank you.

Attention - we had a strange juvenile in the nest today! Oh, it's getting more and more interesting as the active season dwindles. A blessing that the camera is still rolling!
This juvenile (from 17:26) is not an H! But act like it.
Slightly darker in plumage but incredibly confident.
One of our H's doesn't like it. There are trills...excitement and pursuits (after the second visit later). Territorial disputes are brewing among themselves...well, both of the Juveniles will ultimately not be tolerated by the chiefs H44 and H21.

By the way - I miss H21. Not seen for days.

Greetings to Spain and stay safe! :2thumbsup:
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

...July 16

Hello Polly I hope you are better and you are recovering.

Afternoon with many calls and gusts of strong air (11:25 - 17:17)

17:26 - 18:24
Chicken in nest and tree passing through several branches, above the trunk to the left and jumps to another place that is not seen behind the main trunk. I think there is another chicken there too. It ends up coming out although you can't see it, it changes the tone of the sound in flight.

19:56:03 - 20:00:04
A chick goes to the nest and makes an arc to the left to enter the branch and climb back to the left one above. Jump back to the covered area where there are loud calls, at the end two chicks come out one after the other ahead of the nest.

It may happen what you say that there is another chicken from another nest that is in the area. In addition, sounds that are quite far from each other are frequent.
The activity continued until (21:22)

Let's hope that H21 is fine and H44 is simply being the one that takes more part in teaching flight and hunting techniques.

I found out today that another camera has been running in Scotland. I think they have raised three chickens and in addition to the main channel there are other individuals that show the process at various times during the breeding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz9qzqyCSwU

Greetings and best wishes for recovery. Polly :2thumbsup:
sova

Post by sova »

please remove....something went wrong :blush:
sova

Post by sova »

Polly wrote: July 16th, 2022, 8:52 pm ....
....When I'm feeling better, I'll catch up on the last few days or, to put it better, supplement them. I can't yet.
good morning Polly
I wish you a speedy recovery, take care of yourself....
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thank you Emiliano and dear sova...yes, I'm working on it. :nod:

I want to continue ...
July 11th
Emiliano:
viewtopic.php?p=868871#p868871
The day started with a brother in the nest. Another sibling ended up on the lower floor - H97. She jumps into the nest and her brother leaves. H97 plucks and twirls a bit through the nest tree...then flies steeply down. Something or someone was there. According to the sounds of H97.

H97

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

07:57 Without a doubt a juvenile with H-identification. One of the boys.
Lay down, rest.

08:50 another youthful voice is heard and the boy leaves the nest.
09:40 Hm...a juvenile - but an H? Unfortunately, the wind doesn't allow for good pictures. I'm not sure if the black ring actually sits on the right. Also, this juvenile looks big female to me but it's definitely not H97.
A pity ... I can't research it any further. The juvenile inspects the nest and then just sits on the branch...until 10:22

(No 'V' in the tail feathers)
[img http://sjjs.de/hansbilder/images/476720 ... 175309.jpg /img]
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Addendum July 12th

Bad weather drives through Riga.
15:15 In my opinion H44 brings food to the nest. The wet feathers make him look like a wet cat... almost frightening to behold.
He stands and waits...there is enthusiastic nagging outside but none of the juveniles move into the nest. :rolleyes:
H44 leaves the nest with the food. He looks determined to hand over the food. H44 has all antennas set up to be ready - returning.
Only 15:28 - a mini comes to the table. The second not.

The dwarf slips in and out...is more active with the voice.
16:09 A youthful ki ki ki can be heard outside.

Indian proverb

Return to “Goshawks”