Estonian Eagle Owl Nest 2022, 2023, 2024

Estonian Eagle-Owl Nest

Moderator: ame

Askja

Re: Estonian Eagle Owl Nest 2022, 2023

Post by Askja »

Good evening All! Liz, sova :hi:

Thank you Liz! Great pictures and videos, as always! Another day mastered in the owlet's lives, how I wish that they learn quickly to feed and hunt for themselves!
Liz01 wrote: May 26th, 2023, 6:59 am ... Hugo is hooting too!
... Thrush Nightingale ( Luscinia luscinia)
Ah, I have missed that, thank you Liz! Btw., the other day I didn't mean to say that Hugo had completely disappeared, only that he no longer appears at the nest to bring food for his owlets. I had been worried he might have stopped hunting for the family. It seems Hanna has now found a way to intercept him away from the nest, well, that's okay then (so I hope - yesterday didn't look so great).

Thank you also for the bird song ID; I didn't know about the Sprosser. I have heard them here on the webcam for two or three weeks, and was puzzled. While I watch the owlets at night I have my window open and from outside I hear the common nightingales loud and clearly. I thought it sounded a little bit similar but the overall impression is distinctively different.

sova wrote: May 26th, 2023, 9:08 am *****
:2thumbsup:
Thank you sova, you are welcome, that's very kind of you. :bow:
“Animals, like us, are living souls. They are not things. They are not objects. Neither are they human. Yet they mourn. They love. They dance. They suffer. They know the peaks and chasms of being.” (G. Kowalski) Caveat: Apart from this remarkable sentence I do not agree with his philosophies.
Askja

Post by Askja »

At the moment the stream is more off than on. Probably it will get rather worse than better up to around midnight. :bash:

21:12 The owlets are still in the same resting position.

21:56

22:38 #1 flapping wings

22:44 night view comes on. The owlets are still waiting for someone to bring something tasty.
“Animals, like us, are living souls. They are not things. They are not objects. Neither are they human. Yet they mourn. They love. They dance. They suffer. They know the peaks and chasms of being.” (G. Kowalski) Caveat: Apart from this remarkable sentence I do not agree with his philosophies.
Askja

Post by Askja »

23:13 Hanna arrives, with no prey, I think. After she landed on the nest box she watched out to the right; she would not have done that with a prey in her beak. - Immediately afterwards the stream broke and I could not see what she was doing.

23:19 stream is back, Hanna is gone. #3 is hissing constantly.

23:59 The owlets have been sitting like that since shortly after Hanna's last visit.
Askja

Post by Askja »

00:18 Hanna arrives with a medium-sized prey. Something that looks black with grey in this light - a hooded crow? But heck, I'm not even sure it is a bird at all, the pictures are so blurry. Someone is repeatedly clacking their beak. Earlier I had the impression that #2 is the great beak-clacker, always when he is hungry and can't get at the food.

00:18

00:19 all three owlets are sitting on top of the prey, hissing and looking at Hanna, waiting to be fed. But no, Hanna flies away.

00:23 #1 eating lustily from the prey, #3 by his side trying to snatch a bite, #2 waiting his turn and hissing.

00:25 Oh, look! #2 finds he has waited long enough, marches towards the prey and claims it for himself, dragging it away from the others. #1 won't have it, so he pulls from his side. If I have seen it right, #1 wins the contest, even bites at #2, and keeps eating. #2 tries a few more times without luck, then he gives up.

00:23 #1 pecking at #2 when he wants to take part in the meal.

00:32 But, no, he hasn't given up! Just now the two elder owlets are wrangling with the remainder of the prey - there isn't much left of it anyway. There's beak clacking and twittering! All the time #3 sits at the back panel hissing hungrily... :sad:
00:37 It seems the two big ones are finished, now #3 gets at the remainder of the prey. He pulls it towards the back panel but, it seems, he is not eating from it. He is sitting behind the other two and I see his head up all the time. Is he still too young for that?

01:06 I haven't seen #3 for a while, he must have been sleeping behind the others. Now an older owlet, I think #1 again, starts with the prey again and #3 is hissing again.
01:31 all owlets settle for a round of sleep.
Askja

Post by Askja »

01:42 The owlets got a fright, all woke up at once... I don't know what it was, I haven't seen or heard anything.

02:30 The owlets are still sleeping, resting and/or waiting.
Askja

Post by Askja »

02:39 Hello Hugo! :headroll: He brings another black corvid to the owlets! While landing at the nest box he slipped very badly, I hope he didn't hurt himself! After delivery he hopped to the right, presumably onto the lower big branch. Oh Hanna, you have missed him! 😀 So, Hanna must be away hunting.
02:41 Now two older owlets are eating, one the new crow and the other the old crow. The third has nothing... again.

02:39
02:39 The great flurry! :D

02:47 Hanna brings a small prey. An older owlet gets it. Little #3 is hissing. Hanna flies to the right.
02:51 #3 is tearing at a prey but to no avail, he just has not enough strength yet.
02:54 Yes he can! :headroll: If I'm not mistaken it is #3 now pulling and plucking vigorously on the prey and actually eating from it!

03:01 Now #2 tries to steal the prey from #3 but the little one doesn't allow it. He is still ravenous.

Good night :wave:
03:05 :offtobed:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

good Morning all :hi: Askja, thank you very much for the detailed night reporting. :2thumbsup:
I hope Hanna will come home for feeding #3
BTW: BirdNet app belongs to a research project. It also recognizes the birds via PC. Relatively reliable.

3:12 a older sibling is eating . #3 stands next to it
3:43 still eating. Hear I hooting? It sound a bit strange. A Owlet is eating

4:28 #3
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I scrolled back -
5:40 apparently #3 can only eat feathers

I saw, there is also bone an partial meat on it

6:30 Hanna landed on the right branch. there was no feeding till now
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

6:51 Owlet is stretching

6:54 #3 is eating a part of wing. mostly feathers - parent is on the right

6:58 #3 on the right

7:01 Hugo is hooting. Is it he on the nest tree?
7:03 a owlet is busy with the bird prey

7:08 #3 is hissing hungry
7:31 #3 is hissing, Hanna is doing nothing.

7:37 camera turned off - stream is back
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Camera zoomed out. Hanna is sitting on the branch

still zooming. that's good. So we can see more from what happens around

7:465
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

7:47 - 7:49 owlets are resting. Hanna is looking at

7:49 She flies on another branch and away
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

8:03 Hanna brings a small prey . I think #3 got it :loveshower:

I'm not sure if it is #3 or #2
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

She went in her pantry and offers #3 the rest of bird. but it can not swallow it. it was the rear part with 2 legs
Hanna jumps on the right branch
8:06 Hanna flies away

8:20 still hungry hissing all the time..
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

there were many gaps in the stream.
9:26 picture- gap

9:34 picture gap.. and so on

9:49
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

10:42 Hanna showed up
10:43 owlets are pretty hungry

she took a hooded crow and gave it to an owlet
10:46 she is feeding one of the kids. could be it was #3. EDIT: it was #3

10:48 she gave just a few bites to #3 the most of crow took the eldest. It tries to swallow it, but crow is too big

10:48 Hanna went on the right branch
10:50 she flew away

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

11:37:44 Hanna and Hugo are talking not far from the nest. Before raven are calling near. Hugo is hooting first. Hanna seems a bit further away
11:39 both are still hooting
11:41 Hugo is hooting every now and then

it too more than four minutes. I turned up the volume so you can hear it better
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

11:49

till 12:15 stream is off and on every second :bash:
16:02 the stream is pretty unstable.. I spend too much time for nothing :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

16:43 Hanna landed on the branch. she came into the nest (choppy stream) on off on off :banghead:
Hungry kids, she came empty handed

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

16:45 she is on the right in the nest- then on the left .. looks like a feeding the rest of hooded crow. To be honest, a reasonable documentation is not possible. I have no idea if enough is fed or what is going on

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

16:49

16:50 a bit meat is visible

Return to “Estonian Eagle Owl Nest 2022”