Black Stork Nest in Karula 2022

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Swenja

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula 2022

Post by Swenja »

Hello @Anne7 and @Tatiana60 :nod:

The food supply in this nest is very good.
Bonus will probably still adapt to the quality of the food.
Wasn't there just one kind of fish in the clinic? There is not only one type of food in the nest and not always a certain amount. There is a lot of food when there is a lot of food and sometimes there is little food. Bonus has to learn it if he wants to be free.
Bonus is well on the way.

I hope that the care in the nest will continue to be good and that one additional chick will not be to the detriment of the other 3. I know you don't want to ask that question. But we should also keep this question in mind.
It's great that the fish baskets exist and that they always try to provide enough food for the nest. All chicks should make it!
That's the question I ask myself personally. Doesn't belong now to Bonus his ps. :unsure:
Freedom!
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

balistar wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 6:51 pm Sorry, juta, i didn't mean to get you into trouble.
It's totally understandable given the amount of work Urmas and colleagues have to do these months.
And sorry for the name too, i've read it here in the thread and automatically assumed the name was given, my bad :blush:
Balistar, there is nothing to be sorry a out!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

Video from the life of today about the chick Bonus. He is a week older than the other chicks and is already training his wings in an adult way... everyone tolerates his clapping... :D

...Nothing, nothing, soon in the nest we will all train our wings and even jump...

The stork learns to "go to the toilet" in an adult way - for the nest... He tried very hard, stumbled, almost fell.

Careful kid!
sova

Post by sova »

Good evening to all

About bonus ps. I have on 30.06. - 20:58 - wrote and took a picture....Bonus made a very small ps. There were 6 feedings that day. Only in the evening (22:25 ) was the ps *a bit* bigger.
I hope that this young one will adapt a little faster to life in the nest. It's only for his benefit. Bonus *missed* a lot during his stay in the clinic... Unfortunately, he has almost no time to catch up.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Sova :hi:
It’s indeed not easy for Bonus. Everything is new.
S/he has a lot to learn and many things to get familiar with, in a very short time…
All in all, Bonus is still doing well, I think. So far.
But s/he is definitely hungry at the moment.
Swenja wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 6:55 pm
I agree with you, Swenja, so far the food supply on this nest has been very good.

But today was definitely not the best day.
None of the chicks ate much today, in my opinion.
They are all hungry and getting nervous.

You are right, Bonus didn't receive frogs, water voles, snakes, beetles and all the other critters at the vet clinic.
That would have been impossible. There were only fish.
But the result is probably that Bonus still has to learn to eat this kind of food quickly and well, in a natural and competitive setting.

I totally agree, Swenja
Putting 1 extra chick on this nest should not be at the detriment of the other 3 chicks.
I am sure that Kotkaklubi is monitoring the forum to see how much food is being delivered. Therefore, it is important that we count the number of feedings and try to estimate the amount of food, as well as possible.
It’s not easy to see how much food each chick has conquered. Often we see (almost) nothing at all! And everything is quickly eaten, and goes extremely fast.
The good news is that Karl II has a transmitter, so we know where he goes foraging regularly, and a fish basket can be put in those places.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
pirkkokn

Post by pirkkokn »

Is it possible to see pictures of Eedi's nest somewhere? How is Plus doing?
:bounce:

To Eedi's nest has been brought JJ's chick number 2 with the name "Plus". *) Eedi's siblings are still in the nest and have now a stepbrother/sister.

*) Before they have been brought to other nests they got the names Bonus, Plus and Extra. Unfortunately, Extra died due to an accident and a broken wing.
[/quote]
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. (Lao Tsu)
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

A few evening photos :
18:22 Bonus and his wing

18:26 training:

18:28 Bonus we love you:
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

What did they find?

Is it a fish from Urmas :shock:

I think #2 got the old fish. I still have to take a closer look.

Freedom!
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

Swenja wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 8:31 pm ... it a fish from Urmas :shock:
Oh, yes, they dug up the fish of Urmas ! :loveshower:

When a Urmas planted a lonely stork in the nest , he left moss and fish in the nest. So it was dug out by storks in the nest today! A small fight took place...
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

We need less zoom. The chicks are getting bigger and we don't see the angle under the camera.
It's like every year. The interesting things happen below the camera image. :rolleyes:

poor Bonus :unsure:

S/He lay down with the other chicks.
Freedom!
sova

Post by sova »

21:11 - ...what was that....is Bonus scared or his legs couldn't hold him anymore ? :puzzled:
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

sova wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 9:15 pm 21:11 - ...what was that....is Bonus scared or his legs couldn't hold him anymore ? :puzzled:
That wasn't Bonus. This was #1. :puzzled: Or #2?

It's going to be really difficult. What am I glad when the chicks finally have their numbers. :nod:
Freedom!
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

sova wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 9:15 pm is Bonus scared or his legs couldn't hold him anymore ?
this is not a Bonus, it seemed to me that No. 1 was cleaning and shaking his head, lost his balance a little. The bonus to his left was sitting in the background - it's 100%.

The bonus is easy to identify even without a number - he has less hair on his head. The kid was sitting on the left in the foreground next to the upset hungry No. 2 (he ran away with the fish, but could not hold it). In the background on the right, the contented No.1 was being cleaned. He got the fish... He watched the fight and hummed like a trumpet, then jumped up and snatched the fish from the Bonus... That's how I understood the whole story with the fish from Urmas...
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

21:39 That was Bonus.

Freedom!
sova

Post by sova »

OMG :slap: ...for me everyone is Bonus...yes it wasn't a Bonus :nod:
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

Swenja wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 9:41 pm 21:39 That was Bonus.
Yes, in 21:39:22 Bonus PS in home!!! :slap: and threw the remains over the fence (a drop)... maybe he has diarrhea? We need to keep an eye on him.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Just a thought:

Water is more important than food at the moment, in my opinion.
Black Stork chicks must get all moisture from their food. On a hot day like today, the need for water increases. But because there was little food, there was actually less water. Could what we see happening be a sign of dehydration? :puzzled: Or maybe hyperthermia?

Poor chicks... They clearly do not feel well at the moment. :shock:
It looked as if #1 (or was it #2?) was getting dizzy and was about to lose consciousness.
We have to keep an eye on all of them, I think.

The chick was quietly standing upright, had been preening a little, and all of a sudden this happened:

I do not understand why the parents did not bring water to the nest today. It has been hotter than on all previous days. :puzzled:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

zoom :nod:

Thats to far away.

A little closer, please.
Freedom!
ame

Post by ame »

22:14:05 the zoom was changed.
again.
once more.
again
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

I zoomed out. Is it better or not?
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”