Black Stork Nest 2, Jan and Janika, 2022

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
ame

Re: Black Stork Nest 2, Jan and Janika, 2022

Post by ame »

Liz01 wrote: June 28th, 2022, 5:14 pm ...
Now, I'm wating
17:21 a thunder can be heard in distance
Liz! :rotf:
it's still not too late to take a nap. :mrgreen:
partsi

Post by partsi »

Names: Bonus, Janus and Junior
asteria

Post by asteria »

May, 22 is a name day for Emil, Julia, Kastus
Biker

Post by Biker »

Hello!
ame wrote: June 27th, 2022, 10:58 pm Illi, thank you for the information!
the clinic camera does not work for me.

for this cam i use ffmpeg in the commandline, because i have no potplayer.

Record streams that "stutter" like this one, i use to watch at the same time with a local media player.

with this url https://wowza.emu.ee/live2/kured.stream/playlist.m3u8
(once mentioned by LiyNM too)

My test showed 10 mb per minute, i dont save, but delete now and then.
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
ame

Post by ame »

Biker, the clinic camera was turned off when i tried it yesterday. it has been off since yesterday evening.
AFox

Post by AFox »

Liz01 wrote: June 28th, 2022, 5:14 pm
Now, I'm wating

17:21 a thunder can be heard in distance
This picture made me laugh. :D

We will find out, soon. I guess we are all waiting with baited breath, to see how this saga will continue for the 'Janilings' (little ones) of Jan and Janika. They've sure been through some stuff.
hernameta

Post by hernameta »

from Urmas.

Please inform the forum that we have skipped the operation for today. Kaia should not be frightened away from the nest.
Maybe tomorrow night is better. Will drive back to the clinic.
Bibibu

Post by Bibibu »

hernameta wrote: June 28th, 2022, 11:46 pm from Urmas.

Please inform the forum that we have skipped the operation for today. Kaia should not be frightened away from the nest.
Maybe tomorrow night is better. Will drive back to the clinic.
thanks for the info :wave:

Yes I had also wondered because Kaia is in the nest. It really is better to postpone.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

From Urmas.

Sorry to bring some sad news.

This morning, Dr. Madis found that the smallest chick had fallen from the nest and had a very badly broken wing. The break was too complicated and severe to benefit from a surgical repair. Sadly, now there are two chicks.

Urmas hopes to be able to find time to come to the forum and post about it to give more details. I know he wants to but he just has to find time.

About the next attempt to place a chick in the Karula nest - That, too, is going to happen, hopefully tonight. Urmas has to wait for a colleague to join him so it may happen a little later than last night's expedition. So we need to hope for favourable conditions - good weather, absent Kaia, and a colleague to assist.

May fair winds be with you, Urmas.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Thank you Jo
that is really sad! :cry: they do not know the new nest and the surroundings.I thought yesterday that Bonus could also fall out of the nest in Karula because he/she doesn't know the nest
Amanda777

Post by Amanda777 »

:cry:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Thanks for informing us, Jo.

This is once more very sad news.
Poor chick. 😢

It’s really extremely difficult to try to save BS chicks.
How much of their behaviour or skills are innate, and how much must be learned on a natural nest in a tall tree in the forest?
I feel very sorry for everyone involved.

May everything go well tonight, Urmas and Colleague
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
bigfan

Post by bigfan »

Anne7 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 4:53 pm Thanks for informing us, Jo.

This is once more very sad news.
Poor chick. 😢

Jo UK wrote: June 29th, 2022, 4:32 pm From Urmas.

Sorry to bring some ...
Hello everyone, just a question, did it fall out of the original nest, or was it already in adoption?
:faint:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

At night I brought back the chick to the outdoor nest in vet clinic. That is actually the same nest you watched, we moved it in whole from indoor isolator box outside. So the chicks knew the nest nearly 20 days already. If placed back the chick which travelled, I added some fish to the nest. As it was in darkness, they did not see the fish, but probably noticed the food in morning. It is speculation, but there had to be some accident in early morning. Maybe they started to fight for fish and smallest appeared in wrong position. It is only about 1m from ground, but for quite fat juvenile it could be too high, if to fall to the side, with opened wing... Nobody could enter there simply so to disturb the chicks, so it is not easily understandable accident, with that serious injury.
Today there will be another attempt to add fourth chick in natural nest.
ame

Post by ame »

oh dear, such bad news... and this accident happened at the clinic, right? :slap:

i don't even begin to think how many things may go wrong in this operation of planting Bonus in the Karula nest. ... or estimate what might the chances of success be. :unsure:
we must keep our all thumbs up tonight, both in hands and feet, to wish Urmas luck with Bonus. (Urmas should not fall himself either!)

btw: asteria asked about ringing Kaia's and Karl's own chicks. i'm sure that Urmas will do that on the same trip. he wouldn't want to make any extra visits there.

bigfan :hi:
you don't need to quote anyone's post in order to make a post of your own.
and if you make a quote try to make the number [ quote]'s and [ /quote]'s match.
there should be an [ /quote] for every [ quote ].

i have now fixed several of your posts trying to make them clearer. i first deleted one of your posts because i didn't see any of your own content there, only a quote. sorry about this! :blush:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Urmas thank you! to clarify what might have happened.
it happened just 1 meter above the ground. that is bad luck!

Be careful climbing in the dark. Fingers crossed that everything goes well!
Francesca_V

Post by Francesca_V »

What a pity. :cry:
The chick made it more than 3 weeks and now it died. :cry:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

ame wrote: June 29th, 2022, 6:04 pm btw: asteria asked about ringing Kaia's and Karl's own chicks. i'm sure that Urmas will do that on the same trip. he wouldn't want to make any extra visits there.
ame, if I read this right, do you think that Urmas will ring, weigh and take measurements and a DNA sample tonight? In the dark? And are the chicks' bones sufficiently developed to allow this kind of activity?
I am not saying it can't or won't hppen but ringing at night seems precipitous! What do you think?
bigfan

Post by bigfan »

I'm afraid the biggest risk is the nature of Kaia .. Hopefully at best, the chick could be happy and we with him. Thank you so much Urmas and everyone else! :hi:
ame

Post by ame »

Jo UK wrote: June 29th, 2022, 6:37 pm ame, if I read this right, do you think that Urmas will ring, weigh and take measurements and a DNA sample tonight? In the dark? And are the chicks' bones sufficiently developed to allow this kind of activity?
I am not saying it can't or won't happen but ringing at night seems precipitous! What do you think?
ehh..? :puzzled: first of all i think that Urmas will have to wear a light on his head. how else can he climb up or find his way in the forest in the dark? it's not as dark there as it seems in the camera, but still i wouldn't let him climb up without a light.
secondly, he may only clip on the rings and that's all. it's not necessary to do the whole routine. thirdly, Bonus, Plus and Extra were already ringed a few days ago. if i have understood correct the storklets at Karula nest are about the same age, aren't they.

but of course i don't know about his plans. we'll see tonight.

bigfan :hi:
there was a mismatch of [ quote]'s and [ /quote]'s in your post again.
i removed the [ quote] because it was quite unnecessary.

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”