Black Stork Nest 2, Jan and Janika, 2022

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Liz01

Re: Black Stork Nest 2, Jan and Janika, 2022

Post by Liz01 »

Mom slides down :laugh: :slap:
she has been slipping for a few days. she's not very durable :rotf: soon she will lay again next her Kids
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

17:57 wing exercises

18:04 they are begging.. wrong side! "Mom" will not give food

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

patiently waiting

18:11 two turn to the left
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

18:18 wing exercises by #3 :thumbs:

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

nice growing black feathers
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

18:27 still no feeding till now!
ame

Post by ame »

they still seem to have rather big tennis balls in their necks.
maybe they are kept unfed on purpose? i would not give them food before moving them. they would just regurgitate what they have in their crops because of the shock.

i hope they will get outdoors tomorrow. :2thumbsup:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

20:29 they are hungry and are begging. I sincerely hope that the reason they are not being fed is, the move to the outdoors.

20:35 all are sitting with closed eyes
20:48 small ps by #3 - he's having a growth spurt! He has grown enormously "overnight".
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

20:50 they pay attention to the left. I think we will have a feeding

the went away to the fight

20:53 they hear something

20:55 Toru appears :laugh:

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

20:56 Toru is back. Now all are filled :laugh:

that was a lot of fish!
ame

Post by ame »

it happened while i turned my eyes away for a second. :laugh:

hopefully they'll be moved outdoors tomorrow. :2thumbsup:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

after feeding

I completely forgot! It doesn't matter how often they are fed. It depends on how much is brought in at a feeding!
I think twice feedings a day would be enough if the amount is sufficient!
ame wrote: June 27th, 2022, 8:58 pm ...hopefully they'll be moved outdoors tomorrow. :2thumbsup:
I hope it too! I believe this type of feeding is a test. Try how often they need to be fed to gain weight and minimize disruption by humans. Now they can already swallow large amounts. We saw it 8-)
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I'll make a video tomorrow morning :wave:
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

This afternoon on newspaper:

https://www.ohtuleht.ee/1065178/tagasi- ... upoegadeks

Back to the Nature

Shortly:

"If all goes well, then on Tuesday night, rather at night, I would try to take a black storklet to a nest equipped with a webcam. Then we can see what's going on there. There is still a small risk, because if something goes wrong, the whole world can see, but all this needs to be explained, ”says Urmas Sellis, the coordinator of the Estonian Eagle Club.
In the spring, nature lovers rejoiced that as many as six chicks crawled out of the eggs in the nest of the black storks Jaanika and Jan, which are constantly monitored. Unfortunately, the male bird disappeared in the first days of June and the female bird could no longer feed the chicks alone. So the members of the Eagle Club decided to bring three surviving chicks to the animal clinic of the Estonian University of Life Sciences.

"As a rule, adult birds do not sleep at the nest," explains Sellis why the chicks are taken to the nest at night. "They are sleeping somewhere near the feeding place so they can start looking for food early in the morning. The other thing is that if you put the chick in the nest in the evening, the other storklets will calm down in the morning and they won't have any problems with each other. "
"The riskiest part is the first meeting of the parents with the stepson, we don't know how they will react," Sellis describes the biggest fear. "We imagine and hope, and they probably won't even notice that maybe there are four instead of three storklets, but you know. We can't put ourselves in their heads. "

What to do now?

The clinic made sure that the little chicks did not come into contact with anyone. A doll imitating a female bird was placed next to the incubator, and the hand of the feeder was also disguised. Although the chicks recovered, there were concerns about how to proceed with them. Practically the only option was to distribute the chicks to other nests, because no one in the incubator can distribute the wisdom to the chicks. In addition, bird researchers have found that young birds that grow up in a real nest develop slightly faster than human birds.

Under the eyes of the whole world

Bird nesting cameras are not only popular in Estonia, they are monitored all over the world. "Our main communication is in English, and we don't know what is spoken in other languages," says Sellis. Therefore, he plans to enlighten the whole event in advance and to write honestly why and how it is done in the forum of bird lovers.

Birds receive food aid

If the members of the Eagle Club usually visit the black stork's nest somewhere in the summer, when the storklets are already older and there is no fear that the old birds will abandon the nest, then this year the observations had to be made earlier.

"The initial plan was that if there are fewer storklets in a nest, such as two, you would prefer to put it there," says Sellis. "All the nests we have inspected have three storklets. We also need to pay attention to the nutritional opportunities around us. We have the opportunity to provide extra food in two nests in Karula. If we see from the cameras that it is too rare to go to the nest with food, we will add fish and other things to the prepared places. That way we can alleviate the possible food shortage a bit. ”

GT with some correction
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
ame

Post by ame »

thank you Juta! great news! :2thumbsup:

Liz, do storklets get regular meals in nature? and how many times a day? isn't it rather irregular and unexpected? :puzzled:
Illi

Post by Illi »

Ame they will move only one chick to another bs. nest at the moment. Think Karl II and Kaias nest.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Juta, thank you for bringing that news to us.
So Urmas and co. are doing everything possible to minimise any risk to the chicks and to the future of the nest.
We must all watch closely, to observe and record all that we see. The information will be valuable so as to learn what happens and to inform any future rescue atempts. We must watch the behaviour of the resident chicks and their adults as well as the behaviour of the new chick.
ame

Post by ame »

Illi, thank you for the information!
the clinic camera does not work for me.

the address of the stream at Karula nest is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JMRFPM5NIE
a cuckoo is singing there...

this is interesting and exciting! :shock: :D
... and very-very risky! :slap:

the Karula nest topic is now here:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 87#p865887
Amanda777

Post by Amanda777 »

Oh my God, I will not sleep :faint:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Amanda, sleep tonight. It is tomorrow night when we shall want to see what happens!

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”