Estonian Osprey Nest (Marko & Miina) 2022

asteria

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Marko & Miina) 2022

Post by asteria »

Next year young goshawks who have almost no enemies(WTE? Golden eagles? Eagle owls?) grow up and their number increases. It's a disaster for ospreys. Sad but predictable.

If a goshawk finds an easy prey, it will never stop coming back.
yitmoth

Post by yitmoth »

sova wrote: July 6th, 2022, 7:17 amAccording to Triin, this is an old system. I don't think they want to invest the money in a camera where the *season is over*.
I’m afraid you may be right, sova. So I can only mention again the possibility of doing some fundraising here on the forum to upgrade the camera equipment. (Also for the K2 nest, if necessary.) But first we would have to know what kind of equipment is needed, or at least about how much it would cost. So it would be good to find that out from Triin or someone else at Kotkaklubi.

Meanwhile, anyone looking for a good “substitute” osprey nestcam might want to try Ilomantsi in Finland. Probably not appropriate to hype it too much in this thread, so I’ll just say that the view there is also wonderful (though rather different from here), and the nesting pair also have names starting with “M”. :whistling:
yitmoth

Post by yitmoth »

But one reason I like this nest (K1) so much is there’s such great birdsong in the neighborhood, day and night. (Unlike the camera, the microphone here seems to be quite robust.) So I’d like to share a few recordings from this too-short season.

SoundCloud playlist: Kalakotkas 1

1. First, the resident Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos). It wasn’t quite as upfront this year, but based on various song phrases I’m fairly sure this is the same bird as last season.

2. Next, the resident Blackbird (Turdus merula). Definitely the dominant voice in this year’s dawn chorus.

3. Now the Song Thrush and Blackbird together.

4. Towards the end of May, a Thrush Nightingale (Luscinia luscinia) started singing here all through the night and into the morning. This is just a 30-minute segment from a 4.5-hour recording made on the night of May 25/26.

5. Soon the Nightingale was joined by a Sedge Warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus), which had basically taken over the night shift by the middle of June. Again, this is just an extract from a longer night-time recording of both birds.

6. This is the last recording I was able to make here this season, from the morning of June 17. It starts with the Sedge Warbler (no more Nightingale...), and ends with the Song Thrush, Blackbird and others in the full dawn chorus.
Berit Tjernberg

Post by Berit Tjernberg »

Hellem wrote: July 5th, 2022, 7:54 pm From the LK main page:

Sad news from Võrumaa's osprey nest
:cry:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/n/node/6836
GT
The nest equipped with a webcam of Võrumaa ospreys (Kalakotkas 1), where the female bird Miina and the male bird Marko were nesting with two eaglets, was without a picture for a long time due to damage caused by lightning.

Today the nest was empty, the feathers of the young osprey were broken under the nest tree. The killing may have taken place a few days ago.

The initial opinion is that it could have been a goshawk, because we have also seen its attacks in previous years through a web camera.

:cry:
Oh no! Such a loss for Miina and Marko.
sova

Post by sova »

yitmoth wrote: July 6th, 2022, 9:16 am ....
:hi: yitmoth
I would like to donate (I have done so several times), certainly not huge amounts but within the framework of what is possible.
I know this nest in Finland and also follow it. The hooded crows (the nuisances) are interesting to watch, especially when the *kids* have their own fish.

Thanks for the great bird call recordings!!! :2thumbsup:
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

This is indeed very sad news. I wonder why the ospreys don't get that 'Click!' in their minds when they eperience that kind of loss (and the ongoing goshawk attacks) almost every year. Lack of nesting sites? I am so sorry for you, Sova, too. Marko and Miina are wonderful parents, but this impact by another bird of prey on their chicks is just too much for them. - Anyhow: due to the transmission stop, we were spared these pictures and situations. We know it happens, we know how and why it happens, still, I don't want to watch this every time. This season is quite sh...y, (sorry for being rude) regarding the breeding outcome - everywhere, with many different reasons. :cry:
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

it hurts so much
no more words
sova

Post by sova »

07. July

:hi: Good morning to all Marko and Miina's friends

09:41 - camera is back - empty nest (unfortunately) :sad:
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

sova :hi:
good morning
sova

Post by sova »

Sappheira wrote: July 7th, 2022, 10:35 am sova :hi:
good morning
:hi: Good morning neighbor
Tell me; do you walk around with sunglasses all the time now? :mrgreen:

The three little bandits have become such beautiful ospreys. On the way to growing up and still so fluffy.😍
sova

Post by sova »

11:05
sova

Post by sova »

13:01 - cam stops
balistar

Post by balistar »

Hello sova and Hellem :wave:

as someone who only drops in here occasionally (and silently) and always enjoys your and Hellem's reporting, i want to say how sorry i am, for both, the Ospreys and you.
I have the greatest respect for the fact that despite these many setbacks you are still able to observe this nest and report on it. So much sadness again and again..... :cry:

PS: yitmoth, thank you very much for the wonderful SoundCloud playlist: Kalakotkas 1.
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

:wave: Hello, Friends of this nest !
Very sad how it happened here! We all know how difficult it has been with goshawks. I've followed this nest from 2012 and I'm very much devoted to this too. Now it feels really bad, but I know that 'The Nature Is'... (I've been a silent follower this year.)

:2thumbsup: Thank you so much, yitmoth, for giving the link to the playlist of THIS nest. I love it!
sova

Post by sova »

balistar wrote: July 7th, 2022, 1:06 pm ...
I have the greatest respect for the fact that despite these many setbacks you are still able to observe this nest and report on it. So much sadness again and again..... :cry:
:hi: Thank you Balistar
I've often said I can't do it anymore, but the M family is planted in my heart, I can't help it....
Also, ospreys are wonderful birds....and beautiful :rolleyes:

:hi: Sylvika
sova

Post by sova »

15:38 - cam starts
it's raining lightly
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

sova wrote: July 7th, 2022, 10:51 am Tell me; do you walk around with sunglasses all the time now? :mrgreen:
The three little bandits have become such beautiful ospreys. On the way to growing up and still so fluffy.
I still can't believe my eyes that everything is visible: every feather, every twig, and even what is on the horizon. :rolleyes:
Lusciniole

Post by Lusciniole »

Alas! The suspense ends sadly. Goshawks are beautiful birds of prey and also deserve protection. But on this nest, it's hard not to be mad at them! :evil:
Thank you so much Sova, Hellem, Sappheira and all! You are doing a wonderful follow-up job that teaches us a lot and excites us!
sova

Post by sova »

21:07 - beautiful sunset, as always...unfortunately without residents :unsure:

good night to all :wave:
maybe we'll see Marko or Miina tomorrow... maybe

:hi: Lusciniole, I agree exactly with you!
sova

Post by sova »

08. July

:hi: Good morning to all

04:35 - 04:36 - the goshawk was back :evil:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”