Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2023

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Abigyl

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2023

Post by Abigyl »

ame wrote: May 4th, 2023, 2:50 pm
14:42:01 Milda gave another morsel to Small. Big got up and clucked angrily. Small crawled farther to the left edge. my heart sank. :shock:
14:43:38 Milda gave Small 3 morsels more. that was 5 together.
Big threatened Small. then Milda fed Big some more.
:hi:
I saw it at lunch time and it took me back to my cute and intelligent baby, who is on my picture...
Too hard to watch them at this time :cry:
ame

Post by ame »

May 5

good morning!

no miracle has happened during the night in form of a massive rain and we are still without visual. the bottom dropped off any reliable and worthwhile observations. all that can be observed are some Milda's talking and sounds landings and take-offs. the rest will be more or less guessing. i shall not begin to do that.

i don't expect that Small's situation will be much better than it was even though he got some feeding yesterday. for us (at least for me) it was a relieving sight and the best memory in this situation to remember him by. i don't expect that Jānis will find more than one eaglet on the nest when (if!) he'll climb here for cleaning the camera and ringing. that would happen at least 3, maybe 4 weeks from now.
edit: i wrote to Jānis about the blinding and he replied that only hard rain will help us. :whistling:

i think i shall make a break and take vacation now. thank you for the company and encouragement! :wave:
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Thank you so much ame for your tireless and this year: absolutely demanding and exhausting work. :2thumbsup: :wave:
esmues

Post by esmues »

Thank you, ame, for your work! :loveshower:
bobbcat

Post by bobbcat »

Enjoy your vacation, ame ! 8-)
Florinda

Post by Florinda »

ame, thank you! Have a nice rest! :loveshower:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame wrote: May 5th, 2023, 8:45 am ..i think i shall make a break and take vacation now. ...
Dear ame, big thanks for your great work. :loveshower: Day after day without a break. :bow:
You definitely deserve your vacation. involuntarily the older one helped you to take a break. :mrgreen:
I am also happy about the incident. I prefer not to see what happens.

see you..
i should do the same.
ame

Post by ame »

hello again!

Jānis has commented the situation.
Ornithologist, Latvian Nature Foundation expert Jānis Ķuze tells Jauns.lv that he has not yet made a decision on how to proceed: "The easiest thing to do would be to clean the optics of the camera near one during ringing, but touching it while the big birds can see there are certain risks." In 2015, a similar situation was also experienced in the same nest, the optics were cleaned then, but the female, seeing the hidden camera, took it very seriously, began to visit the nest less often, and the male fed the chicks to a large extent by himself.

"After two weeks I will decide what to do," says Ķuze. "If it rains, it will wash the optics, but the longer it doesn't rain, the more this dung will stick and it will be harder to get off."
https://jauns.lv/raksts/zinas/557999-vi ... -tiesraidi

thank you mega2 for the link! :wave:
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 01#p367701
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Thanks Ame and Janis & all friends :thumbs:

Yes, we cannot forget Angelina of 2015; who became very aggressive after ring and cleaning cam. But.... we all love her :2thumbsup:
handbyl

Post by handbyl »

Well, how would we behave if near-alien beings invaded our homes :-) ?
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

:dunno: People on the chat think they notice according to the voices from the nest, that two babies are still there plus the parents. Nobody is very sure but many times they think that they can anlyse the voices of two different babies. Interesting :nod: . Let us see...
bobbcat

Post by bobbcat »

Sylvika wrote: May 11th, 2023, 2:02 pm :dunno: People on the chat think they notice according to the voices from the nest, that two babies are still there plus the parents. Nobody is very sure but many times they think that they can anlyse the voices of two different babies. Interesting :nod: . Let us see...
I listened in yesterday for a few minutes & heard Small cheeping; he sounded stronger than he did the day before. Today I am listening in, moving the time here & there but have not heard anything from the chicks or the parents.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

MAY 12

Weather shows some rain during afternoon... We need luck :thumbs:
ame

Post by ame »

good morning!

i posted links to some eagle news in the WTE database:
viewtopic.php?p=899906#p899906

about the situation here i'm not sure about what i can hear. it is very difficult to be sure about how many voices one can hear. i think that Big has called a few times in an eaglet's voice but i think that she is still mostly talking in a chick's voice.

the only times when one can be sure about two chicks is when one can hear Big spanking Small and clucking in an angry voice, and Small crying as a result of this mutilation.
on May 10 at 5:11 - 5:12 Big spanked Small rather badly.
ame

Post by ame »

on May 11 at 10:36 there were voices which could have been spanking again.

later the same day at 14:55 - 14:56 there were more voices like that, perhaps, and perhaps voices of two chicks.

another indication of the presence of two eaglets would be hearing two loud poopshots within a short time, but i haven't been able to hear that.
ame

Post by ame »

i happened to find another spanking this morning at 6:51. there were no special sounds or voices before this incident nor after this. it was not a feeding situation. Big just decided that Small needed some punishment. fortunately this didn't last long.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

May 14

Good Morning ame, Abigyl and all :hi:

6:32:07 Milda is calling loud and pretty long
6:34 she is still calling! what is going on?? :puzzled:
6:35 still calling

6:37 Nothing else can be heard. Only Milda - no Voldis, no eaglets
6:39 that is absolutely not normal..
6:40 she is calling and calling....
6:52...
6:54:47 a stranger is on the nest tree, she pushed it away. Stranger was on the left. You can see it
6:55 now all is quit

The video is cut down to a few minutes. The stranger is sitting on the left. You can see as he is pushed away by Milda
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

ame hears spankings there still :slap:
although Big was so wise that it shot an effective
block :shock: for us
so that Humans cannot see anymore that 8-) !
ame

Post by ame »

hello!
i listened to Milda's concert this morning. i think that there were crows nearby. she called in an especially angry voice, with the special call
"go to h*ll you bl**dy crows! :rant: "
:mrgreen:

she had to draw breath a few times and in the breaks crows' calls can be heard, at least at 6:46:15, 6:47:33, 6:48:20 (more than one crow), 6:48:55 and 6:53:00.

perhaps a crow was sitting on the top, but i don't think that anyone tried to land on the nest. there were no sounds of landing. a crow is so light that the tree would not shake and the sound of landing would have drowned in Milda's shouting. the wing which waved on the left belonged to Milda. she was probably shooing the crows away as they flew by.

the twig on the left edge was waving in the rhythm of Milda's calls.

btw: at 9:44 Big bit and hit Small.

Sylvika :hi:
i'm so relieved that i don't have to see the spanking. it is so hard for me emotionally.
:unsure:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Ame, welcome back !!

Heavy rains all night.

Let's hope for a good surprise :thumbs:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”