Re: Goshawk nest in Riga 2023

Post by Polly »

14:39 H21 calls
'40 pairing
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

It's been sounding like branches breaking all day. Also occasionally like flapping noises. It can have other causes or something else sounds similar. It's thaw.

However, a thought occurred to me:
What if the couple actually creates a second eyrie?

I haven't been able to find anything in the literature that really answers my questions.
Can someone help me please?

#Why actually do Goshawk use multiple nests?
#Would it be possible that only one is used for breeding and the other or the other nests only mark the territory?
(In this case: The pair will breed in this nest, but still creates another mock nest.)
#How far away are these eyries usually?
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

The H's drive me crazy... :dunno:

16:40 calls
17:21 again H21 vigorously quite close

18:00 we hear both
Heated sounds but not sure if it was a consummated mating.

The Jay was watching, I heard him. He should know exactly what the couple is up to. :mrgreen:

H21 is still grumbling a little...
...then gulls moan.

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

19:06 +a few minutes - a camel in the park. :D

Well, it cracks heartily. What can be heard...

I hope the stream bounces back but I'm sure it will get an update and patch soon.

Nice evening @all!
:wave:
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Hello Polly y a todos. :hi:

The danger they faced seems to have passed and could be the cause of having prepared another nest. Although it wasn't life threatening it might be enough but they are willing to use this one from the past few years as well.

The advantage of not being an accomplished builder is that it all looks great.

I have seen many territories with several nests, some very close (less than 100 m) in these cases they must change due to unknown causes that are not direct provocations. They do tend to choose somewhat thicker areas or edges and if there are none nearby they move a little further to where they are (it depends on the tree structure of the territory).

Only when the cause is serious or has prevented breeding can they move further away in the following season or even make a second start later and far from the original site.

Many years ago a couple had two very close nests (8 or 10 meters from each other), they bred in one of them and when the chicks flew they took the habit of being fed in the other, it seemed that they had bred two birds of prey.

In another place, after breeding, they cut down many trees and left almost only the nest tree, the following year it returned to breed in the nest, but later it disappeared from the area.

In a city and an urban population things can be very different and will depend on the proximity of other pairs and the layout of the grove. Arnis Zacmanis recounted that there were three nests of different pairs very close, I think within 300 meters.

In Riga there are large parks or cemeteries and also more or less large dispersed wooded areas such as the left part of the Daugava (Pardaugava).

I do not know if I have clarified your doubts but they are almost always interpretations except those caused directly by felling or change of activities in the nearby breeding area. As I say, the literature is true but it is not the whole truth.

Greetings and keep hoping that there is less left.

Good night. :offtobed:
Polly

Post by Polly »

Emiliano! :hi:
I do not know if I have clarified your doubts ...
You did and thank you for your effort. :nod:
I've been amazed to observe for days that the couple is quite present but not working in the nest or inspecting it. It is mid-March and the presence in the nest is dwindling. (Whereby we can no longer see the presence on upper and lateral branches.)
Yesterday this frequent noise like branches/twigs snapping. But I wasn't sure because the stream jumped very frequently and there was also a thaw. The noise is still there today. If the nests are actually built that close together, I can imagine that they have started a second one nearby. The riots under the tree came at the worst possible time and may have unsettled the couple.
Maybe they'll use an older crow's nest and build it up.

March 15th

The couple can also be heard today. Regularly mainly through H21.
(I no longer list exact timestamps.)

13:00 Mating at greater distance
H21 continues their calls

She also sounds very excited. Maybe an intruder.

I have to go to work.
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Hello Polly and everyone. :hi:

All that I give you are observations seen but they are also my interpretations. We are not in the heads of the birds and they can surprise everyone and go against what everyone has observed or told.
What surprises me if they were in a nearby nest is that they wouldn't hear each other at dawn.

In the last few days it may be the female who takes the most initiative in the nest (we are seeing it with Alla-Ruudi). This couple ( H´s) is giving their own versions of these issues that we have already recounted over the years. Both Margo and the Netherlands seem to have a more standard behavior than is usually published.

Greetings and have a nice day.
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

My wish is that they breed here and of course there are possibilities. In a week they should already make life closer to this nest. If they do not do it here it could happen that the camera moves to the new place or to another couple.

Distant sounds follow. 13:16,´18 ,16:30 , 17:37
Now closer to the nest 17:42 ,´43 ,´44 ,´47 ( with a distinct sound, elongated type )

16:01 The great tits taking advantage of the absence of the goshawks.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Good morning Emiliano!
Now closer to the nest 17:42 ,´43 ,´44 ,´47 ( with a distinct sound, elongated type )
That sounds interesting.
Was she angry? That would fit the cries I last heard. H21 sounded defensive.

Maybe a few sticks will still find their way into the nest today.

08;03 Currently (I only started, not rewound) crows can be heard.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Again and again only crows can be heard and seen.

10:28

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. I have accompanied this couple for hours every day for many months.
But I'm almost more shocked - so close to the finish line, the H team is taking a different path. At least that's how it appears. Every day less and less presence. The weather is more moderate and the riots around the nest tree have been stopped.
There's little point in pondering why they made that choice. We don't know but quite an interesting experience.

Well, should they actually have switched territories? Not even a call today...not even further away.
Then there would be room for other couples who are still looking.

Well, that's going to be exciting.

I have to go for today.
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Hello Polly and all. :hi:

The goshawk is a hidden bird, although it is also very curious and likes to see what is moving around (I have checked it many times with chickens). Being a city gives it a tolerance regarding human presence but it has been a long time of inconvenience in the most intimate. I think it's not just the natural change option. There is only one other worse moment and that is when the chicks have hatched and are small.

We are waiting for when they lay the eggs what they do with the camera. Although it seems difficult, it still cannot be ruled out that they did not use this nest.

13:56:48 Nearby sounds.

I have also enjoyed this couple who have also taken me to know the geography of Riga although I have never been there.

Greetings
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

March 17th

Good morning Polly and everyone. :wave:

10:06:07 Jay imitating a goshawk.
10:17:08-42 Distant sounds and possible mating.

They are still in the area.
Polly

Post by Polly »

The Stop & Go continues...into the next round. :slap: :D
The H's are kidding us.

09:36 H21 can be heard

10:06 Protracted shouts can be heard. In the last two years she also did it just before laying her eggs. Today I'm not even sure if it's Jay or really H21.

But it's possible:
10:17 already more calls, albeit a bit distant and mating follows
'18 calls are continued, sometimes still heated

'26 lots of crows... lots of flapping

'28, '33 shouts

10:55 close calls again followed with mating

11:06 calls

Emiliano! :2thumbsup:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

11:22 A goshawk flaps into the tree, calls. Sounds like H44?
Receives reply from a remote location.

'23 flies back to the park
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

11:58 mating calls
'59 more calls follow

Today: 3 pairings so far!

12:00 crows, seagulls and almost drowns out an energetic H21
'02 again

12:25, '28 calls
12:29 H44 puts a stick in the nest, calls clear and flutters out again.
At least out of sight.

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

I can't fathom this ups and downs in the couple's activities. We know days with more and less presence in alternation. However, there are very significant behaviors to be noticed during this season. They don't oscillate between yes no maybe - they move from 95 to 6 and back. So very confusing.

Still, of course I'm very happy to see that Team H seems to keep or have to keep this nest tree. :nod:

14:22, '23, '27, '42 H21 is on the road calling out.

And today there were again these sweet little balls of fluffy blue tits. :2thumbsup:
They are completely overtaken by great tits in many places.

14:44

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

15:06 Pairing #4 off-road for today.

15:10/11 H21 brings an Easter branch into the nest ...nicely branched.
She sorts some branches, looks around carefully.
Then jump onto the side branch - probably.

Ps: The couple flew together. Only H44 continued to arc to the left of the nest tree, while H21 headed directly for the nest tree.
(to be seen from about 10:18)
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

16:01 H21 calls
...and jumps through the side entrance into the nest in '02 to the nagging of the crows.

H21 is super attentive. She is not engaged in nest work - H21 checks.

'04 H44 starts chirping from a different position, softly.
'05 H21 flutters onto the top branch showing its tail feathers. H44 now also jumps into the tree, heated sounds can be heard, but H21 apparently refuses to mate.

H44 is starting a re-offer and H21 is now ready.

Mating #5 of the day in the nest tree.

The couple lingers for a while, occasionally gently communicating. :innocent:
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Good evening Polly and all. :wave:

We are glad to see them again but we continue in the same way, if they have another nest they alternate both. With what is left of time they should be more defined and make the main life in the chosen nest (They are not like Ruudi-Alla that does not stop). They play hide-and-seek with us and this year even more so, in the end we will have to say that we are impatient and we want to see them since January.

There is very little left and in a week they could already be laying the first egg.

Greetings and good night. :offtobed:
Polly

Post by Polly »

..in the end we will have to say that we are impatient and we want to see them since January.
Hmm, no.
No. Actually everything went well. I tried to present the history on page 1. And it becomes apparent that the couple was never really absent. Well, at least I hope it becomes apparent.
I spend about as much time with the couple as I do with my job. This is the mass of the day. And I'm glad my husband hasn't filed for divorce yet.

There was this upward curve towards the breeding season. More (even more) sightings and calls. And then these irregularities began. With the massive disturbances around the nesting tree...they were stopped (again a thousand thanks to LDF!!!) And then came the onset of winter. As the couple began to rebuild security again.
And suddenly - winter gone, youth gone - H's gone.

I'm not ashamed to be wrong or to be sad.
I know that I write far from documentation. Too much, too long, too emotional. It has already been criticized.
However, in the last few weeks I have been concerned - not impatient. Why - our H's were there. :nod:
Indian proverb

Return to “Goshawks”