Black Stork Nest In Karula 2023.

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
brofasa

Re: Black Stork Nest In Karula 2023.

Post by brofasa »

balistar wrote: June 4th, 2023, 3:01 pm .
I remember in previous years we heard an egg talking when there wasn't yet any chick hatched and there was not yet any PIP or hole visible. Maybe it's possible even for us to hear egg-talk from a still closed egg or a possible opening was just not yet to be seen on cam view - idk :rolleyes:
That is perfectly possible. Chicks start to 'talk' once they pierce the membrane to draw their first breath from the air bubble within. There needs to be no visible hole.
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

15:24 Karl II stands up. The chicks ask for food.
He gives them porridge. The chicks peck at it.
Karl II has no more food.
I hope Kaia was able to find good food.

Karl II loosens the nest floor a litte and covers the chicks and the egg.
Freedom!
balistar

Post by balistar »

brofasa wrote: June 4th, 2023, 3:20 pm That is perfectly possible. Chicks start to 'talk' once they pierce the membrane to draw their first breath from the air bubble within. There needs to be no visible hole.
Yes that's right, brofasa, I know the details of the hatching process very well (I've been watching live streams for years and have read a lot), so I also know that the parents can already hear the hatchling as soon as it penetrated the inner membrane. The thing is - and I wrote that - whether we humans can already hear it at this point in time or whether only at the point in time when it has also pierced the outer membrane and the egg shell and we just couldn't see this opening yet.
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

15:33 Kaia is back.
She talks with Karl II and Karl II flies away.

Kaia moves the egg a little and she wants to give food.

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

15:35 Kaia gives fish.

She takes back the bigger fish.

Kaia also brought worms or something. That's what the chicks ate at the end.
Freedom!
balistar

Post by balistar »

#3 at least was able to grab 1 little fishie and swallowed it :D

brofasa

Post by brofasa »

balistar wrote: June 4th, 2023, 3:33 pm Yes that's right, brofasa, I know the details of the hatching process very well (I've been watching live streams for years and have read a lot), so I also know that the parents can already hear the hatchling as soon as it penetrated the inner membrane. The thing is - and I wrote that - whether we humans can already hear it at this point in time or whether only at the point in time when it has also pierced the outer membrane and the egg shell and we just couldn't see this opening yet.
Yes, we can hear them. It happened before and keeps happening. Before a pip hole is confirmed, we can already hear the chicks talking.
Francesca_V

Post by Francesca_V »

balistar wrote: June 4th, 2023, 3:38 pm#3 at least was able to grab 1 little fishie and swallowed it
What a luck!

Number 3 is significantly fitter when eating than number 2 was at the same time. That gives hope.
brofasa

Post by brofasa »

I find Kaia's way of feeding worrying. She takes the food back as soon as she gave it to the chicks and does not give them enough time to even pick them up and properly eat.
In my honest opinion, that is another sign that Kaia does not find enough food. She wants the food back and is eager to digest it herself. She is reluctant to give it all up for the chicks.
There just cannot be such a bad food shortage already. Karl II usually has enough for them and himself.

She even goes as far as taking the fish from her own chick's beak at 15:35.
balistar

Post by balistar »

brofasa wrote: June 4th, 2023, 3:42 pm Yes, we can hear them. It happened before and keeps happening. Before a pip hole is confirmed, we can already hear the chicks talking.
....which, however, does not give any certainty as to whether an opening has existed unseen for some time 8-)
Because we can't reach in and examine the egg, we don't always see all sides of the egg. A PIP can have been in a hidden spot for a while without being noticed.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Francesca_V wrote: June 4th, 2023, 3:44 pm What a luck!

Number 3 is significantly fitter when eating than number 2 was at the same time. That gives hope.
Yes, it is quite agil and a fighter at this early age, isn't it ? :D :thumbs:
brofasa

Post by brofasa »

balistar wrote: June 4th, 2023, 3:55 pm ....which, however, does not give any certainty as to whether an opening has existed unseen for some time 8-)
Because we can't reach in and examine the egg, we don't always see all sides of the egg. A PIP can have been in a hidden spot for a while without being noticed.
It is biologically confirmed that chicks 'talk' even before the pip hole is created on the eggshell, balistar. If we can hear it or not depends on wind conditions, your equipment (headphones or not), distance, and how high your volume is.
If the parents can hear the chick 'pip', then so can we with the right conditions.
balistar

Post by balistar »

brofasa wrote: June 4th, 2023, 4:05 pm It is biologically confirmed that chicks 'talk' even before the pip hole is created on the eggshell, balistar. If we can hear it or not depends on wind conditions, your equipment (headphones or not), distance, and how high your volume is.
If the parents can hear the chick 'pip', then so can we with the right conditions.
Aaah, I was waiting for this more precise answer. Thank you :D
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

One side is so brittle.

On the other side, the egg appears smooth.

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

16:13 feeding again

#3 has also eaten.

#1 und #2 are full.
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

17:45 Kaia preens the chicks. She also moves the egg slightly.

#3 got a proper massage.

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

18:18 feeding
#3 had an unfavorable place. But everyone ate something.

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

18:20 One of the bigger chicks was lying on #3.
Kaia pushed the older chick to get up.

Kaia takes care of all her chicks!
Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello everyone. :wave:

Thank you very much for your documentation, images, video, comments and opinions. :thumbs:

I would like to revisit what happened this morning. I have had a thorough look at the incident and find it quite worrying.
If this were Kati, and not Kaia, I would be almost certain that the 3rd chick will be eliminated.
As for Kaia, it would be the first time she does it. So we don't know if she will 'change her mind' - or not.

I think this is nevertheless an important observation, even if it is distressing to watch...
It would not be right, in my opinion, to just sweep this observation under the carpet, simply because we don't want to think about what might happen.

It all started with what looked like preening the chicks.
But Kaia looks nervous. Her feathers rise.
We know that sustained begging combined with an empty crop is a potentially dangerous situation for the little ones.

What is going on in your mind, Kaia? What are you thinking?
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Here it could still be that Kaia wanted to preen #3.
The little one loses its balance and falls upside down.
That in itself is nothing unusual; we often see it happen too when Karl II cleans the chicks.
Except that Karl II is calm and relaxed. Kaia isn't.

“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”