Other Animal Behaviour

Liz01

Re: Other Animal Behaviour

Post by Liz01 »

Snake vs short-toed snake eagle.
A man saved the eagle. I'm not sure he had the right to intervene. It is nature! He shows that he considers the life of the eagle to be more valuable than the life of the snake. I like snakes too!

https://www.facebook.com/domenico.vitale.391
sova

Post by sova »

Effect of Human Disturbance on Bird Telomere Length: An Experimental Approach

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 92492/full

Supplementary data for "Effect of Human Disturbance on Bird Telomere Length: An Experimental Approach"
https://zenodo.org/record/5760347#.YkVcjShBxD8
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thomas Bugnyar von der Universität Wien ist der wohl bekannteste Rabenforscher in Europa. Er spricht sogar auf «Rabisch», weil er sich seit mehr als zwanzig Jahren in den USA, England und in Österreich wissenschaftlich mit den Kolkraben und ihren Rufen beschäftigt.
Raben erkennen Freunde
Die Forscher bemerkten bald einmal, dass Kolkraben Beziehungen zu anderen Individuen pflegen können, vergleichbar mit Primaten. Raben leben monogam, sind ihrem Partner treu und zwar ein Leben lang. «Das war bekannt, nicht gewusst hat man aber, dass sie auch mit Geschwistern und Freunden spezielle Beziehungen pflegen.
Bei der Studie zeigte sich, dass Raben unterscheiden können zwischen Gruppenmitgliedern und darin zwischen Freunden und Nicht-Freunden. Und nach der Trennung sogar noch drei Jahre später. «Raben können sich also an die Wertigkeit von Beziehungen erinnern», sagt Bugnyar.

Kennen sogar den Beziehungsstatus der anderen
Nicht nur das, wie eine zweite Studie zeigte. Raben haben wie wir Menschen und die Primaten ein Verständnis für triadische Beziehungen. Das bedeutet, dass sie wissen, in welcher Beziehung zwei Individuen zueinander stehen, denen sie begegnen. Raben wissen über andere Raben genau Bescheid und das durch reine Beobachtung. Sie wissen wie Primaten, welches der anderen Tiere oben in der Rangordnung steht und verhalten sich danach.

Genutzt wird das bei Konflikten: Ein angegriffener Rabe sieht einen dritten Raben kommen und weiss, ob von diesem Hilfe zu erwarten ist oder nicht. Je nach dem versucht er mit seinem Ruf den Aggressor zu beschwichtigen oder den Hinzugekommen zur Hilfe. «Kommt ein Verwandter schreit das Opfer noch mehr». Raben wissen sogar über den aktuellen Beziehungsstand anderer Bescheid – verheiratet oder nicht – und betrügen den Freund weniger als den Nicht-Freund.
GT
Thomas Bugnyar from the University of Vienna is probably the best-known raven researcher in Europe. He even speaks in “Rabish” because he has been scientifically studying ravens and their calls for more than twenty years in the USA, England and Austria.
Ravens recognize friends
Researchers soon noticed that ravens could maintain relationships with other individuals, comparable to primates. Ravens are monogamous and are loyal to their partner for life. “That was known, but what we didn’t know was that they also maintain special relationships with siblings and friends.
The study showed that ravens can distinguish between group members and between friends and non-friends. And after the breakup even three years later. “Ravens can remember the value of relationships,” says Bugnyar.

Even know each other's relationship status
Not only that, as a second study showed. Like humans and primates, ravens have an understanding of triadic relationships. This means that they know how the two individuals they meet relate to each other. Ravens know exactly about other ravens through pure observation. Like primates, they know which of the other animals is at the top of the hierarchy and behave accordingly.

This is used in conflicts: an attacked raven sees a third raven coming and knows whether help can be expected from it or not. Depending on the situation, he tries to appease the aggressor with his reputation or to help the newcomer. “If a relative comes, the victim screams even more.” Ravens even know about other people's current relationship status - married or not - and are less likely to cheat on friends than on non-friends.
How did I come to read about ravens and their relationship to each other?
Yesterday I saw two ravens at the Goitzsche osprey nest. I wondered if it was a couple. Looked for differences. In fact, their legs and toes are of varying strength. Then I thought about whether it could be a parent with a young bird (juvenile)...

While only rough differences are made in many animal/bird species, the social network among ravens is apparently much more complex.

Source:
https://www.tagblatt.ch/leben/raben-wie-wir-ld.1095026

I chose a pair.

Unfortunately the stream was interrupted and I wasn't able to record the arrival of the ravens.

"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

December 10th

Hello everyone! :hi:

Whether it's the same couple... definitely amusing to watch their affection and way of bonding.
Their sounds are interesting and the leaning of their heads to the side is similar to the suggested human kisses on the cheek in friendship.

The camera was zoomed in at an earlier point in time.
Bonding in December ... :innocent:

Live: https://www.youtube.com/live/dngvO_LACM ... Mk7h0fiR1a
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Schwarzstorch und Weißstorch bandeln miteinander an/ Black stork & white stork bond with each other
February 20th.

https://www.rheinpfalz.de/lokal/kreis-g ... 14228.html

NABU: This is the third report in the last few days, Heilmann said.

Return to “Behaviour”