Wild Pig Cam 2010 Discussion Cam 2 Boars and Bees

Webcams of Wild Boar Feeding During Winter Time
Fleur

Re: Wild Pig Cam 2010 Discussion Cam 2 Boars and Bees

Post by Fleur »

I have the feeling that we look through the camera lens and through the window of the hives
they are busy at work, make honey I think :D
while ago actually barking of dogs

I still can not see where the Queen could be :puzzled:

Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

An other picture - did anybody change the honeycombs?
19:56
I was out of computer for some time, now I am online again. :loveshower:
Kindest regards to all friends of Looduskalender
Bleggi
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

bleggi :hi:

whether it comes from the sun?
They are still busy
asteria

Post by asteria »

The cam will be closed soon. :cry:
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
edziks111

Post by edziks111 »

asteria wrote:The cam will be closed soon. :cry:
its closed now :cry:
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I can still see the bees :D
asteria

Post by asteria »

edziks111 wrote: its closed now :cry:
Nope, now it is working yet but they promis to close it: http://www.looduskalender.ee/node/7829
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

is still under construction, and a dog barking in the background

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

We thank the people who put up the project and the farmer,of course. :loveshower: We have had a close look at the bees activities and I hope some children got to see the cam too. It is a great idea and I hope it will be repeated.
Thank you. :thumbs:
:wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

macdoum wrote:We thank the people who put up the project and the farmer,of course. :loveshower: We have had a close look at the bees activities and I hope some children got to see the cam too. It is a great idea and I hope it will be repeated.
Thank you. :thumbs:
:wave:
I like to say the same as macdoum. It was a great joy to open this camera and to watch several kinds of animals. I also thank all the people who made it possible.
We will see us next to christmas to watch the wild boars again, so god and you will.
Thank you to macdoum, alice44 and all the other people who watched with me, too.
Bye, bye - Bleggi :hi:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I am curious if the first group of bees that disappeared are alright. Given all the troubles one hears that bees are having that disappearance was a bit worrying.

But overall this cam made a wonderful addition especially to our winter and spring viewing and it will be interesting to see what sneaky improvements may be tried for viewing bees or whatever next year.

:wave: Thanks
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

I have just seen the bees but there is a change. Has the honey been collected ?

edit; cam disconnected..
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
greeneyes

Post by greeneyes »

the bees are always busy

and busy

I like boars.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Yes the bees seem very busy at the moment.
Liis

Post by Liis »

I would love a camera in a bumble bee nest.
The bees are so busy and industrious, make my bad conscience scream at me. Of course bumblebees work very hard too, but it isn't so apparent.

Working hard: these days there are many dead bumblebees under lime tres. (If anywhere, a nice place to die - if one has to ...). Some maintain they are just worked out - the trees are so huge, and so many bees gather there, some are bound to be found dead, others say there is a lethal component in lime nectar: in some lime trees (species or individual) or for some bumble bees.
Does anyone know more?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis wrote:I would love a camera in a bumble bee nest.
The bees are so busy and industrious, make my bad conscience scream at me. Of course bumblebees work very hard too, but it isn't so apparent.

Working hard: these days there are many dead bumblebees under lime tres. (If anywhere, a nice place to die - if one has to ...). Some maintain they are just worked out - the trees are so huge, and so many bees gather there, some are bound to be found dead, others say there is a lethal component in lime nectar: in some lime trees (species or individual) or for some bumble bees.
Does anyone know more?
I have to read more -- after I sleep, but I have seen comments about lime nectar over powering bees and many comments about it attracting bees so....

A pdf from a British Brochure on trees good for bees
http://www.britishbee.org.uk/files/BBKA ... _3-way.pdf

Lime Can supply large quantities of nectar when conditions are right but can be erratic.
Aphids on some species produce honey-dew. (N)
Tilia cordata Small leaved lime. Late Jul
§T. x euclora Crimea lime. No honeydew. Jul–Aug
T. x europaea Common lime. Jun–Jul
T. maximowicziana Japanese lime. Jun
§T. x orbicularis Hybrid lime. Jul–Aug
T. petiolaris Weeping silver lime. Jul–Aug
T. platyphyllos Broad leaved lime. Jun–Jul
T. tomentosa Silver lime. Jul
§ Nectar in these species can stupefy bees.
greeneyes

Post by greeneyes »

My grandfather and my second father take two honey crops in one year. The first crop at the end of spring, then the bees came back from the rape fields, the name of the honey is “rape honey”, the second crop at the summertime and the name of this honey is “lime blossom honey”, because the nectar from the big lime trees and their blossoms is dominant in the summer honey of Northern Germany.
I like boars.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

About Lime trees -

http://www.lifeworks.uk.com/Lime%20Tree.htm

Medicinal Action and Uses

Lime-flowers are only used in infusion or made into a distilled water as household remedies in indigestion or hysteria, nervous vomiting or palpitation. Prolonged baths prepared with the infused flowers are also good in hysteria.

In the Pyrenees they are used to soothe the temporary excitement caused by the waters, and been used twith success against spasms. The flowers of several species of Lime are used.

Some doctors prefer the light charcoal of lime wood to that of the poplar in gastric or dyspeptic disturbances, and its powder for burns or sore places.

If the flowers used for making the tisane are too old they may produce symptoms of narcotic intoxication.

So it is mildly relaxant and tranquillising, unless one uses old flowers. Then it is "narcotic" (sleep-inducing)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Liis wrote:I would love a camera in a bumble bee nest.

Does anyone know more?
In the local newspaper today,an article about the different capacities of Bumble bees to pollinate,even in glasshouses.
The 'farmer' can buy a hive of Bumble bees and he puts it in a G/house for the tomatoes then when they have completed that task he takes them to the glass-house for strawberries where they are less active already and so pollinate the flowers more slowlyy/carefully and..
The bumble-bees die after six weeks.. :cry:
That,he said is their life-span. :roll:
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

macdoum wrote:-------------In the local newspaper today,an article about the different capacities of Bumble bees to pollinate,even in glasshouses.
The 'farmer' can buy a hive of Bumble bees and he puts it in a G/house for the tomatoes then when they have completed that task he takes them to the glass-house for strawberries where they are less active already and so pollinate the flowers more slowlyy/carefully and..
The bumble-bees die after six weeks.. :cry:
That,he said is their life-span. :roll:
Interesting! That the bumblebee colony, except the new queen, dies in autumn I did know, but not that the life of the workers was so short. And obviously it isn't poor overworked industry-exploited creatures only.
Quick check (Swedish environment): lifetime of workers is 3-5 weeks, up to two months for some few individuals, development from egg takes 3-4 weeks; for queen lifetime 12-24 weeks - counted from first laying of eggs, which means her lifetime can actually be 3-4+ months longer (overwintering, finding new nest etc).
This makes the explanation that the dead bumblebees under lime trees are individuals who have simply reached the end of their life reasonable. There is such a great number of bees and bumblebees in the huge lime trees - the trees purr and hum like cats - and starting from spring, this would be a common end period.
Hmm - not individually marked bumblebees then. It would be heartbreaking. But a bumblebee nest camera would still be nice ...

Return to “Wild Pig Camera Forum”