Wild Pig Cam 2010 Discussion Cam 2 Boars and Bees

Webcams of Wild Boar Feeding During Winter Time
Bleggi

Re: Wild Pig Cam 2010 Discussion Cam 2 Boars and Bees

Post by Bleggi »

for Liis: I took a picture in our garden today with a smaller bumble-bee for you
Kindest regards from Bleggi
alice44

Post by alice44 »

lovely!
And although I think of sunflowers as being something one plants for the birds, I have seen several things suggesting the planting of sunflowers for the bees.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Bleggi wrote:for Liis: I took a picture in our garden today with a smaller bumble-bee for you
----------
Kindest regards from Bleggi
Thank you, Bleggi ! -
there are really few of them here this year. The globe thistles, Echinops, have started flowering, and they are usually simply covered with bumblebees.
I will have to make some nice stone heaps and set up nests for them for next year. Those mice :vangry: are sure to leave plenty of grass and gnawed plants for lining material, might as well make some use of the creatures.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Aha,the bees are still here and as busy as ever. :nod:

Liis,we just saw a beautiful huge ? bumble bee in a neighbours garden... lovely purble colours.! I will have to ask Google about it.. :puzzled:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Bees are still busy but I think there are not so numerous now.
They have built a lovely hive all those octagonal little compartiments which I presume they will fill with ? honey.
Anybody know more :puzzled:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I cannot tell what they are doing but they are working harder than me.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:I cannot tell what they are doing but they are working harder than me.
You sure ?... :rotf:
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

For Liis and others interested;
Exerpt from this site;
http://www.bumblebee.org/
Distances flown
Bumblebees are what are called "central place foragers" the central place being the nest. They fly out to the source of nectar/pollen then fly back. Bombus pratorum tends to forage fairly close to the nest, while others, Bombus terrestris, lucorum and lapidarius, will often ignore or desert apparently "good" foraging sites to travel great distances to other sites. The distance a bumblebee is willing to travel to gather food obviously has great implications when considering sites for the planting of genetically modified plants with non-sterile pollen. Studies on distances flown by bumblebees show that the foraging range varies considerably according to species and food availability, but most workers tend to stay within 5 km of the nest. However distances as large as 20 km have been recorded. In spring masses of bumblebee queens have been seen flying the 80 km over the Gulf of Finland between Finland and Estonia. Reasons for the exodus are not yet known, but could be due to competition for nest sites, or fleeing from one of their major predators in the area - the vole - whose population cycles build to huge numbers in some years, then crash before building again
:slap:
So the bumble bee does like the Lemmings...well not quite.. they flee Finland to Estonia,(or is it vica versa :puzzled: ) :peek:
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

So this year that was terrible for the voles -- should be a great year for the bumble bees.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:So this year that was terrible for the voles -- should be a great year for the bumble bees.
But in Latvia there have been many voles served to Guste ? ? :puzzled:
Latvia is just next-door, right. So why such a difference in vole populations I wonder ? (just 343 kms north of Estonia...borders,I mean. )
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I have not been watching enough but maybe Guste has been eating moles and water voles rather than the field voles (which I think are smaller).
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:I have not been watching enough but maybe Guste has been eating moles and water voles rather than the field voles (which I think are smaller).
Alice,I cannot say but do say I hope your cat gets better soon...was she hit by a car do you think ? :cry:
And your Mom too,give her our best wishes for a speedy recovery AND no more 'high jinks' on a bicycle mind.!! :rolleyes:
:wave:
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The camera view is completely different. I think it is pointing at something like the top of a bee box (I thought to look because the eagle cam was down).

(Small and I are going to an Ophthalmologist on Monday -- I think the regular vet thinks she might have a fast growing cancer. I dunno.)
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

alice44 wrote:The camera view is completely different. I think it is pointing at something like the top of a bee box (I thought to look because the eagle cam was down).

(Small and I are going to an Ophthalmologist on Monday -- I think the regular vet thinks she might have a fast growing cancer. I dunno.)
Sorry to hear that... I hope vet is wrong.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I can hear the bees. The other day, I could hear cattle (or boars) as well as bees and some birds.

Today I watched a little Bumble Bee spinning around on the ground -- probably on the Self-heal.

(The ophthalmologist thinks Small does have cancer, which might have spread to her lymph-node already. I chose not to do a biopsy because in a best case scenario removing her inner eye lid and of course her eye would cost 900.00, which is not an option and it sounds like the best case is not likely -- so I have eye drops to reduce the swelling and pain pills for when it becomes painful and for now she gets treats whenever she wants them.) :cry:
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

Alice, I am very sorry, it is an awful situation. Be strong!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Maybe Jo can move this to the members important pet thread.

Ms. Small is outside playing in the cool night air and Sam seems to know something is up. He caught a Bush Tit earlier today -- but I grabbed him and it flew away although with a bit of wobbliness. I think it was a baby -- hopefully it has a chance. But this evening he caught and killed some kind of rodent with a not very long tail (maybe a baby norway rat) and he left it rather near where Small was lounging, almost like it was a present for her.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:Maybe Jo can move this to the members important pet thread.

Ms. Small is outside playing in the cool night air and Sam seems to know something is up. He caught a Bush Tit earlier today -- but I grabbed him and it flew away although with a bit of wobbliness. I think it was a baby -- hopefully it has a chance. But this evening he caught and killed some kind of rodent with a not very long tail (maybe a baby norway rat) and he left it rather near where Small was lounging, almost like it was a present for her.
Awww.. :cry:
Sorry Alice.
Emily Dickinson
visitor

Post by visitor »

I'm very sorry too, Alice! Lots of treats sounds nice, and painkillers, of course. I hope Ms. Small won't suffer much... sometimes animal don't show out their pain and escape to a solitary place instead of asking for help... be strong, Alice.

It's very likely that Sam understands.
a storkaholic
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I did a little research on Sam's kill. (I cannot call it prey as he does not eat his kills.) I am now sure it was a vole and not a mouse or a rat. Most of the voles have shorter tails, bigger heads and less pointy noses.

Return to “Wild Pig Camera Forum”