White-tailed Eagles Discussion ~ 2010 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Kitty KCMO

Re: White Tailed Eagles Discussion 2010

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:puzzled: Has anyone had any information on Timmu & Teele, or Linda & Sulev? Perhaps someone has been in the area & noticed young eagles hunting or fishing? It would be nice to hear some news if anyone has any.
Kitty KCMO
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

The site where Linda and Sulev (probably also Teele and Timmu) hunt, it is quite wild nature reserve, so no big chance to meet there humans. Therefore very rarely observations of these eagles appear.
No data if somebody has seen them last time.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Urmas wrote:The site where Linda and Sulev (probably also Teele and Timmu) hunt, it is quite wild nature reserve, so no big chance to meet there humans. Therefore very rarely observations of these eagles appear.
No data if somebody has seen them last time.
Thank you, Urmas. I knew it was only a very small chance anyone might be able to see them, but I hoped someone had done & could report. I'm sure the young eagles are ranging far & wide, getting used to the big world.
Kitty KCMO
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

We let you know if something interesting will see or hear about our WtEs.
vaino

Post by vaino »

Urmas wrote:We let you know if something interesting will see or hear about our WtEs.
For migrating estonian birds with transmitters see Web Site : http://birdmap.5dvision.ee.
0hansen

Post by 0hansen »

Pontus pictures the hard way - download from Pontus and upload to mejuba.

I have used many hours on this - but I like the result... So far...

And I hope you will have some use for it.

http://mejuba.com/member/folder/default ... d=12_23306

:wave:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

0hansen wrote:Pontus pictures the hard way - download from Pontus and upload to mejuba.

:wave:
What a project, Ohansen! :bow: How wonderful to see "our" eagles again & remember how it was. Thank you for so many devoted hours of work!
Kitty KCMO
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Ohansen, thank you for doing so much work!
0hansen

Post by 0hansen »

No wonder the picture is unclear sometimes....

http://mejuba.com/member/photo/ImageDet ... ?id=671363

:D
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:rotf: :mrgreen: :laugh: :D :rolleyes:
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

:rotf: :rotf:
that was such an unfortunate hit! i've been looking at earlier pictures and the are so chrystal clear... naughty-naughty Timmu/Teele! :faint:
you are doing such wonderful work, ohansen! :loveshower: thank you!! :2thumbsup:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

0hansen wrote:No wonder the picture is unclear sometimes....

http://mejuba.com/member/photo/ImageDet ... ?id=671363

:D
Have you seen it in 'original size'.?... very impressive. :mrgreen: :shock: .. :rotf:
Thank you Ohansen for the monumental work. :bow:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Mew

Post by Mew »

In the absence of WTEs to watch, read this on US bald eagles 'in the wild,' which I received in a circulated email:

'January of this year, 2010, the weather stayed so cold in St. Louis, Missouri and Alton, Illinois that the bald eagles were cruising over houses in hopes of a quick meal. They could not access fish that were at the bottom of the river and had gathered together. Some kind souls decided to feed the eagles so they would survive the cold spell. They gathered fish and started feeding the group of eagles huddled on the shore.'

There are photos to show what happened. See:
EDIT viewtopic.php?p=82660 There, on the General Interest Forum, Alice has uploaded the photos. She tracked down their true origin in Alaska! See her, and Kitty's, comments there. MANY thanks for giving us the truth of the matter! :2thumbsup:
Liis

Post by Liis »

News from Looduskalender: the WTE camera will be online again within a month or so, after some (surely well-deserved) service, http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/8484
And of course we look forward to the winter feeding camera too
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thank you, Liis.
That is great news!
ame

Post by ame »

YESS!! :loveshower:
it's great that the camera will be on already in the autumn. :nod: it's good to see how often the eagles visit the nest before the 'real' onset of the breeding season and is there competition of the nest etc.. last year the Pontu camera started in January, on the 25th, and someone had already been there in the nest:
http://193.40.133.138/2010/2010-01-25/2 ... -16-23.jpg

i guess that the adult eagles want to stay close to their nets(s) all year round and that's why they don't migrate. a good nest territory is such a valuable resource for them that it's worth keeping an yey on it all the time.

... at least the lens needs some serious washing and wiping! :rolleyes:
maertha

Post by maertha »

0hansen wrote:Pontus pictures the hard way - download from Pontus and upload to mejuba.

Thank you for making the pictures available in this way, Ohansen! Great. :D :2thumbsup:
YTQ

Post by YTQ »

WOW! Wonderful! Thank you soooooo much!! :shake: :loveshower: :headroll:
Mew

Post by Mew »

In the absence of this webcam and these particular birds: see on for possible distances flown by juveniles.

Sad news this week about a juvenile WTE (2010) that landed at the Isle of May and was found injured at the seal colony on Monday. See Claire Smith's blog for the RSPB East Scotland Sea EagleProject: http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/ ... pdate.aspx

She wrote: "..... ‘Erik’ (yellow L) present on the Isle of May since the end of August was found with a broken leg in the seal colony on Monday, artist Keith Brockie and warden Alex Ash managed to catch the bird, splint its leg and immobilise it, Colin (who runs the May Princess) then headed over in his rib to bring the bird off. I drove to the vets and initially the prognosis was not too bad as the bird was responding to pinching the foot so the nerves were not completely severed, however, an x-ray on Tuesday morning confirmed that the bone was shattered and so beyond repair and sadly the 5 month old male was put down. Despite picking up some fulmar oil the bird was in good condition and a good weight, so we can only speculate what caused his accident either getting too close to a seal or its pup or landing awkwardly. Either way, everyone involved did everything they could and it is always incredibly sad to lose a bird. However, with 15 of our 19 newly released birds till alive we are still extremely pleased with our survival rates."

Two others of their 2010 juveniles have flown over 100 miles [160 km?] to Ardnamurchan (WEST coast) and as far as the Farne Islands, in Northumberland (NE England) - about 140 miles? [225 km??].
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”