What Bird is This?

Our Questions about Estonian Webcam Birds
Chimega

Re: What Bird is This?

Post by Chimega »

Yes!! They are related species. :thumbs:

The Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) is a small, North American songbird, a passerine bird in the tit family Paridae. It is the state bird of both Maine and Massachusetts in the United States, and the provincial bird of New Brunswick in Canada. It is notable for its capacity to lower its body temperature during cold winter nights, its good spatial memory to relocate the caches where it stores food, and its boldness near humans (they can feed from the hand).
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

asteria wrote:Thу bird on the first photo looks like a willow tit. Two years ago such birds ate seeds from my palm.

For me bird in first photo also looks like Willow tit. Black-capped chickadee has intense buff color on sides. But if this photo is from North America, then of course Willow tit is unreliable variant.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Another photo of a black-capped chickadee. I know mine at my feeders don't have much coloring on their sides like the other photo I posted. There are more than 2 types of chickadee in the US, too.

Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Here's a Mountain Chickadee from the more western regions of the country. :loveshower:

macko50

Post by macko50 »

Jo UK wrote:Bociany found this Kuwaiti news report about a falcon.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/region/ ... 1-1.319171

Can anyone identify it, please?
Hello Jo! :)

I think it is a young Steppe Eagle (Aquila nipalensis).
"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thank you George. :2thumbsup:
Urmas agreed with you, back in 2010!! (see previous page)

Heavens, I haven't looked at this topic for a long time.
Must do better.
debianuser

Post by debianuser »

Can someone tell what Eagle(?) is this? I am from North America.

more photos here https://www.dropbox.com/sc/j9e229579pkk ... n=36544414

Sorry about the quality, I made it using my cellphone's camera through a binoculars and a dirty window.
http://pontu.ca/ Pontu video and picture archive viewer with easy date and camera selection. *Generating Snapshots for most cameras that don't normally take snapshots*
*Note that snapshots generated by me are only stored for 3 days due to disk space limitation on the server.*
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

this is not an eagle for sure, perhaps a falcon or smaller species?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

debianuser

I suspect it is a hawk, probably a buteo. Red-tailed hawks seem to be the mostly likely. But keep your eyes peeled for more sightings, maybe you will see a detail that will prove it one way or another.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/red-tailed_hawk/id
debianuser

Post by debianuser »

NancyM & alice44, thanks for you answers. Yea, it does look very similar to Red-tailed Hawk from that website you gave me.

I saw one of them- I think its one of them- today as I was about to write this post.

He/she refused to fully turn to the camera.

[Edit] Here we go.

http://pontu.ca/ Pontu video and picture archive viewer with easy date and camera selection. *Generating Snapshots for most cameras that don't normally take snapshots*
*Note that snapshots generated by me are only stored for 3 days due to disk space limitation on the server.*
debianuser

Post by debianuser »

One year later...

ame

Post by ame »

[color=#FF8000]On 20 Jan 2015, 16:52[/color] ame wrote:i have a bird identification problem. what bird is this singing very close to the camera?
right in the beginning there is a chiffchaff singing a little further from the nest. then the eaglets both talk a little. then the unknown bird begins and sings for a long time... and again eaglets make some very drowsy squeaks, and some louder, too. sometimes also a golden oriole sings and there are some other voices, too, but they are much further away than this mystery bird.

i have a hunch that the unknown voice might belong to a blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla). :dunno:
(i hope it is not as trivial as the chaffinch was in the summer... :blush: :mrgreen: )
vainamoinen wrote:Yes you are right, ame, this is Sylvia atricapilla.
this question - answer pair i copied from the Latvian WTE 2014 -topic. the voice sample was recorded on June 24th 2014 at Lake Lubāns in Latvia.
viewtopic.php?p=357338#p357338
ame

Post by ame »

andu wrote:Image

which birds are? :help:
this is an old question already which raised some discussion on this thread but i don't think it got a full and/or definite answers yet. :puzzled:
andu didn't write where these pictures were taken and that is very important to know, like vainamoinen and chimega wrote in their answers. as i am a Finn i naturally saw in these pictures two birds which are common in Finland (and i believe also in Estonia). i think that the upper bird is willow tit (Poecile montanus, formely know as Parus montanus) like vainamoinen wrote. another possibility is marsh tit (Poecile palustris, formerly Parus palustris). these two look so much alike that one should hear the voice to be sure of the identification. - i think that the question about these two has been discussed on the bird feeder topic every winter. :laugh:
voices of the willow tit:
http://www.xeno-canto.org/explore?query ... e+montanus
voices of the marsh tit:
http://www.xeno-canto.org/explore?query ... +palustris

i think that the second bird is a yellow hammer (Emberiza citrinella). - but if these birds were photographed somewhere else than in Northern Europe then i'm not sure at all what they are!
marymcm94

Post by marymcm94 »

Help, please🙏 what bird is this? We found it with broken wing, soon we'll bring it to vet-clinic.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

It's a very small picture and I don't know what country you are in but it could be a Nightjar maybe :unsure: ?
marymcm94

Post by marymcm94 »

Marfo wrote: September 18th, 2018, 4:47 pm It's a very small picture and I don't know what country you are in but it could be a Nightjar maybe :unsure: ?
Sochi, Russia

vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

Marfo wrote: September 18th, 2018, 4:47 pm It's a very small picture and I don't know what country you are in but it could be a Nightjar maybe :unsure: ?
Yes, this is Nightjar
marymcm94

Post by marymcm94 »

vainamoinen wrote: September 19th, 2018, 7:49 am Yes, this is Nightjar
Thank you very much! Marfo and vainamoinen :thumbs: :D
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

marymcm94 wrote: September 19th, 2018, 10:30 am Thank you very much! Marfo and vainamoinen :thumbs: :D
Beautiful! One of my favourite birds. You're lucky to see one so close!
marymcm94

Post by marymcm94 »

Marfo wrote: September 19th, 2018, 12:41 pm Beautiful! One of my favourite birds. You're lucky to see one so close!
Thank you! That bird is beautiful! :rolleyes:
But it was heartbroken to look at the broken wing :cry: and also it can not walk on the ground, and it was very afraid :shock:

Return to “Expert Answers”