Moderator: ame

Mutikluti

Re: White-tailed Eagles Nest Cam Discussion 2011-2012

Post by Mutikluti »

[youtube]aa3eaylPkVI&feature[/youtube]

Proud to be a member of SHoW
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Thanks to Kitty,ame and Mutikluti for all the pics and videos.
I hope they stay here and show us how a Buzzard couple do their nesting. :nod:
The nest is empty just now.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

here's one more video from today. there's nothing special to see but the birdsong was so lovely that i had to make a recording of it. :rolleyes:
.... :wave:
here's the playlist of videos today: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7780E1562B678D83
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Such an interesting couple, they are so quick and talkative. I really hope that they stay, and I think looks promising.
Thank you for all your pictures and videos Ame, Mutikluti and Kitty :wave:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

At midnight, nothing to see, but to hear! No curlews, not snipes, not even buzzards, or wind. Dogs & COWS! :rolleyes: The cows must be in a nearby pasture or are being moved to someplace?

Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

April 13th (Friday :whistling: )
good morning! :hi:

oh Kitty: you caught not just one cow but a heard of them! :rotf:
cows often talk a lot in the middle of night. i think they must be out in a pasture already though there can't be much grass to eat yet. there was also the sound of an engine of some sort in your video. there is a somewhat bigger road within a km or two from the nest. especially on frosty calm mornings traffic sounds carry well from there. but the sound of this engine was "lower" than the sound of a car or a motorbike, and their sounds "proceed", move on..., and this engine was moving only slowly. i was wondering: could it be a motorboat? the sea isn't far either... but it was a strange time to be out in the sea.

there's one cow shouting now, too, but it hasn't nearly as much to say as they had in the night. besides the voice of the cow is over-powered by the shouting of the birds around the nest. :laugh: which is empty btw.
here's a sample of the morning sounds and singing, with some cows in the backround. 8-)
ame

Post by ame »

at 6.56 one buzzard came with a twig which looked like it was torn out of an oak. it had dry leaves on it still. the buzzard arranged it a little and then left.
ame

Post by ame »

i think they began morning's work now. they are coming and going, bringing twigs, but they are not very hardworking. i think that these birds often use old nests and don't build so much themselves.
their first spell of work started at 7.05 (here you can hear cows, too!)

... continued:

... continued:

... continued:

... and continued till 7.27.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

This buzzard pair is dilligent about getting the old nest up to their standards. When one moves into an already used house, there is still much to do. They are a handsome pair of birds.

P.S. The cows must have gone home. :mrgreen: I wonder if they bawled so much because they wanted milking? Didn't someone say last year there is a dairy farm nearby? Perhaps it is the start of weaning the calves away from the cows so the milk can be sold. I don't know when calves are weaned in Estonia / Europe, but in Montana it was sometimes done in April. The calves were born usually in March, which to my mind was always a dangerous month for sudden snowstorms & even blizzards out there.
Kitty KCMO
beans

Post by beans »

I enjoyed seeing these birds on the nest -- do you have their Latin name?
Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories
alice44

Post by alice44 »

beans wrote:I enjoyed seeing these birds on the nest -- do you have their Latin name?
Pretty sure it is Buteo buteo or may be Buteo buteo buteo
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

beans wrote:I enjoyed seeing these birds on the nest -- do you have their Latin name?
Buteo buteo, I believe, Beans. Common buzzard-- European or Eurasian.
Kitty KCMO
beans

Post by beans »

Thanks, we don't have them in California and probably not in the U.S., although we have hawks that are similar to them.
Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Kitty KCMO wrote: Buteo buteo, I believe, Beans. Common buzzard-- European or Eurasian.
Good morning :hi: Yes, their latin name is Buteo buteo - Common Buzzard.
Just a little peak before work:
08:18 - nest work:
- I have a couple in my neighbourhood. I often see and hear them, so it`s very interesting to see them so close here.
- have a nice day :wave:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

beans wrote:Thanks, we don't have them in California and probably not in the U.S., although we have hawks that are similar to them.
I think our Red Tailed Hawks seem rather similar.
ame

Post by ame »

Kitty KCMO wrote:....
P.S. The cows must have gone home. :mrgreen: I wonder if they bawled so much because they wanted milking? Didn't someone say last year there is a dairy farm nearby? Perhaps it is the start of weaning the calves away from the cows so the milk can be sold. I don't know when calves are weaned in Estonia / Europe, but in Montana it was sometimes done in April. The calves were born usually in March, which to my mind was always a dangerous month for sudden snowstorms & even blizzards out there.
the cows were shouting in the morning, too, i heard them. :nod:
their voices couldn't just be heard as well as in the night because the birds were so loud and there was wind in the morning. - at our summer house the neighbour keeps beef cattle and i've noticed that those cows talk a lot and loud quite often in the middle of the night, much more than in the day-time.

i don't know about dairy cows if they have a certain calving time... :puzzled: i think they are inseminated at all times around the year. our neighbourg's Herefords get started in the natural method (they have bulls which are the size of small houses!). the bulls are taken to the field at a certain time so their calves are born in spring/early summer but late enough so that there's no danger of snow anymore. i think that they are kept outdoors all year round (with a shack where get shelter from wind and rain). their calves also get fed in the natural method so they aren't actually weened. -the calves of dairy cows, on the other hand, don't get much mother's milk at all, only skimmed milk. they are also kept indoors in barns during the cold season. i suppose it isn't much different in Estonia...
(btw: one of the bulls of our neighbourgh's performed in a TV-commercial some time ago: http://youtu.be/MawlPtokSWY
and here's a picture of Pepper the Bull: http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54 ... impula.jpg ; i have removed references to the products.)

the buzzard was at the nest at 9.23 again.
ame

Post by ame »

the buzzards had the second working spell starting at 8.18.

... continued at 8.31 (i was away for a while):

... continued
ame

Post by ame »

... and then again at 9.23. in the end the buzzard walks along the branch out of the picture but it stayed on the branch at least till 9.27: i heard it cawing there silently. they don't make a racket here at the nest (unlike the eagles who hollered like sirens. they had no reason to be shy. :D )
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I think we need a Buzzard Nest topic now! I will change it later this morning.

I have some news that may not please everyone.
I have heard that our server, EEnet - who donate their server space to looduskalender - are going to change all our webcam streams to the JW Player format. It is too much to maintain two different streams.

Some members are already having difficulty with the present use of JW Player That is going to increase soon.
Webmaster has suggested using RTMPDUMP which I don't know about.
I know we have some very knowledgable members here, so any help with this problem will be very welcome.
I will post this on other webcam topics.
Flex

Post by Flex »

Those are not good news, but we must be patient.
the half live consists of arrangement, subordination and regulation

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”