Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

asteria

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by asteria »

If they lay an egg in this WTE/buzzard/mallard nest, the marten will be very happy with it.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
ame

Post by ame »

21.16 camera disconnected...
borje

Post by borje »

Ame,
Regarding the identification of the Cuckoo Pinto picture, I´m am no longer convinced that it was a Honey Buzzard.
Right now I Think it micht as well has been amale Goshawk or a female Sparrohawk.

But who cares. It is history. I hope however that you will remember it as a Cuckoo.

Happy Midsommer to you - BTW

Börje
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Ame, what wonderful things your "fish-net" captures! :loveshower: Honey buzzards, cuckoos, pine martens, hawfinches, & all kinds of things. :bow: Thank you for all your efforts & for sharing all you catch with us!
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

June 23rd
good morning :hi:
it's past 9 o'clock and the screen is still white: "too many retries, giving up". the Pontu camera hasn't worked either. this smells like a battery problem... :unsure:
i guess this means that the seasons over here.. at least there will be a long break before Renno or Urmas will come to see what's the matter and possibly fix things.

camera failure is not a big loss however because i think that from now on even a good "fish/birdnet" wouldn't catch many birds here. the only thing that will/would be left would be to watch the green plant on the right side of the nest grow. :D
so far the net worked really well though. -thank you Kitty! :wave:

borje: now that i saw the cuckoo more properly here i think that the bird on the branch was some hawk and not a cuckoo. its tail had a straight tip and not round like the cuckoo had. the stripes on cuckoo's breast were/are horizontal and not so striking as the spots on the hawks breast. the beak looked quite different, too. it could be seen that the cuckoo's beak was curved but the other bird had a clear hook in the end of the beak. but which hawk it was i don't know (it looked much too big to be a sparrowhawk though).
Trevlig Midsommar till dig och alla andra svenskar! Hyvää Juhannusta ja Häid Jaani! HappyMidsummer! :loveshower:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Happy Midsummer to you ame.. :loveshower: Thanks a million for all the enjoyment you gave us with the daily descriptions...all those videos and pics.... :shake:
:gathering: For me anyway,I came here every day to read about the latest happenings. We were never disappointed,something new and exciting every day.
We also learnt about Buzzards,Hawfinches,Cuckoos v Goshawks,or other Honeyhawks,even Pine Martens.
Frankly I had a great time.!! :headroll: Thank you ame. :bow:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Manu

Post by Manu »

@Ame: I would like to join me my previous writer and sincerely you thank. I read your observations each day and look at the pictures and videos. Thank you for the great effort!!

BTW: Happy Midsummer!!!!
ame

Post by ame »

June 27th
good evening :hi:
the camera has stayed disconnected for 5 days. after some the second off-day it hasn't even clicked anymore andre so i don't know if it is even trying to connect any more.

i've tied the loose ends of this season together in the meanwhile.
first Pontu pictures:
the picture albums of the Pontu pictures this season can be found in Photobucket here
http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54 ... otkas2012/
and in Mejuba here:
http://mejuba.com/albums/anmaelo
i found a back-up copis of last year's pictures from the first days of May which we thought were gone for good. i'll upload them to Mejuba, too. it'll take some time. i think that the other Pontu pictures from season 2011 can be found in the picture albums of Felis silvestris here:
http://www.mejuba.com/albums/Felis_silvestris
there are Pontu pictures from other nests, too.

the Pontu pictures from kotkas 2010 can be found here in 0Hansen's albums in Mejuba:
http://mejuba.com/albums/0Hansen/27943/836288/1
ame

Post by ame »

then videos:
the playlists of the daily videos can be found in Youtube in my channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/msanmaelo?f ... right_main
now i could not find a clever way to get to the list of the playlists... :puzzled:

i made daily timelapse videos of the Pontu pictures and monthly playlists of those.
if anyone should be interested their addresses are :wave:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

ame what a mammoth undertaking. Thank you very much. Thank heavens for youtube. :nod:
Did you know that 70 hours of videos are posted every minute on youtube. :shock: (heard that on the radio t'other day.) Maybe that explains why it sometimes takes forever to record there :puzzled:
On the news from BBC today;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-18609752
Buzzard filmed taking an osprey chick from a nest. :slap:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

Hello, everybody -

Sad news: WTE camera closes for now
Happy news: Urmas and Renno will set it up at Linda and Sulev's new nest and hope to meet everybody there next season.

Front page story http://www.looduskalender.ee/node/13777, translation coming (meanwhile there is Google translate for the impatient ... :innocent: )
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I read on the front page that the webcam is closed and Ame is thanked for her efforts.
I agree with that.
Thanks for everything Ame :2thumbsup:
Maertha I also want to thank you for the good work. :thumbs:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I'll add my thanks. It is wonderful that we got a chance to see what happened over the season -- even though it was not our hoped for guests and especially wonderful that someone, Ame :thumbs: , helped us to follow those happenings.
:bow:
Thanks to everyone who allowed this cam to function and for us to learn of the happenings
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

:wave: Good morning, read (with GT's help) yesterday evening about the cam. Well, now I do sincerely hope that next season I do get to see WTE nesting as well. I learnt a lot about LSE in two years, learning now about ospreys (and note the differences already) and I look forward seeing WTE finally! Keeping my fingers crossed Linda and Sulev don't decide on yet another site!
Ame - thanks for your collecting work, without it, it would have been difficult to follow so many nests at the same time, as my focus is mainly on the LSE again. Great you found the lost May pictures! :headroll:
I did and do collect the Pontu photos as well, Ame posted my Mejuba address, whatever I download goes up there again, until Mejuba either bursts or they tell me to stop! But it'll take time, as this year it is 4 cameras! (Neo downloads more than 5000 pictures every day, without Kotkas it's still more than 4000 at the moment!) And for being on the "safe side" I do load them to a Photobucket account as well! By the end of the camera season I'll post the addresses for both once again! (it might be necessary to make some adjustments to addresses, though)

Thanks as well to Urmas and Renno (and everyone else involved not mentioned) for the camera work, maintaining them, pacifying us when something goes wrong there and going out to replace batteries, clean camera lenses and replug power lines, explaining, identifying and sharing their wonderful photos with us!
And to Maertha for the data base, in the meantime I have an idea what work lies behind it and it gives loads of information and hours of reading!

See you all next season - hopefully with Linda and Sulev and some healthy chicks in a nest overlooking the sea! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
ame

Post by ame »

hello everybody!
it was a surprise to read about the closing of the kotkas camera for this season. on the other hand it was quite expected now that there was some sort of malfunction with the equipment. it was fun as long as it lasted. :laugh:

the Pontu archives from seasons 2009 and 2010 are still available on-line at following addresses
for 2009: pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas-2009/2009-04-01/saunja-2009-04-01-12-00.jpg

for 2010: pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas-2010/2010-04-01/2010-04-01-12-00.jpg

the following two addresses give pictures of season 2011 starting from April 1st at 6.49 till April 18th at 18.10. the rest of the pictures are who knows where. i'll upload what i have to Mejuba. i think i have some more than Felis.
for 2011: pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas/2011-04-01/2011-04-01-12-00.jpg
.......and pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2011-04-01/2011-04-01-12-00.jpg

for this year saunja and kotkas work likewise and so the addresses for Pontu pictures are
for 2012: pontu.eenet.ee/kotkas/2012-04-01/2012-04-01-12-00.jpg
.......and pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-04-01/2012-04-01-12-00.jpg

just change appropriate date and time to see a particular picture. note that some single pictures may be missing (camera has failed), but almost always there is an error in the address if a picture does not appear. replace kotkas with tooni to see pictures from Tuuli's and Remo's nest and with kurg to see pictures from the BS nest.

addresses for 2009 and 2010 used to be slightly different earlier but Techno-Urmas has changed them a bit. i tried all sorts of combinations when i tried to re-locate last year's pictures but i had no luck. i guess they have decided that it's not worthwhile to save "empty", non-interesting pictures...
- besides: who needs to find them on-line from Pontu server as we have dumped them in Mejuba and P-bucket. :D
especially Felis has done a HUGE job in first downloading and then uploading thousands of pictures daily from many nests!
Maertha's WTE-database and Felis' LSE database are a huge undertakings as well: thank you! :bow:

this is the last picture recorded by the Pontu camera here this season on June 22nd at 21.07:

like Felis i sincerely hope that next year we'll be able to see Linda and Sulev raise their family. we'll meet there next spring! :wave:
..... and i hope that L&S will not decide to move back here... that would be a surprise! :slap:
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

Bleggi says "thank you" for taking care for the cam and for all reports incl. videos and pictures. It was a wonderful time there - although the birds changed and did not come to the end we were waiting for.
Have a good time and hopefully we will meet on the new nest next saison.
Bye for now - God bless you
Bleggi :hi:
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

ame wrote: i know birds of prey soo poorly that i take Urmas' word for this. :nod:
(regarding to most birds almost anyone else's word is better than mine... :mrgreen: )

i think vainamoinen :hi: knows birds of prey better than Little Grey Birds. i wish that he would take a look at the Saturday's bird. too.
it's here: viewtopic.php?p=145153#p145153
I wasn't at computer about a week. Yes, beautiful photo of male Honey Buzzard
Manu

Post by Manu »

Thanks for all who made it possible to watch this wonderful cam :loveshower: .
And thanks to Ame who had spend so much time to made all this reports, videos and pictures :bow: .
See you next season :wave: .
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Does it fit here? On Facebook LK shared a video of the ringing of the WTE by Urmas and Joosep on 28th June

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Bea

Post by Bea »

Thank you very much, Felis! :thumbs: A great video!

I´m not at facebook and won´t be in future, so I would not have noticed the video ....
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”