Petition About Nimetu, from Dr. Madis's topic.

Petitions and campaigns
Jo UK
Site Admin

Petition About Nimetu, from Dr. Madis's topic.

Post by Jo UK »

White Tailed Sea Eagle Nimetu, which was rescued, treated and reahbilitated by Dr. Madis, then finally released with a transmitter and identification rings fitted by Urmas, was found dead in terrible circumstances, on October 7th.
Dr. Madis posted this about it -

Nimeta is no more. I usually checked his movements once a week and so i did on the 2nd october and it was all fine. I did not check on him until night of 7th (was really busy with work and also ran my first full marathon in-between). So i noticed the problem also and sent a mail to Urmas who consulted whit the manufacturer on Monday and on Tuesday afternoon he went to check out the last place what coordinates we had. So what he saw was not pretty... first lots of dead animal corpses on the field in front of an hunting hut (mostly domestic animal corpses) and he also found half eaten remains of the eagle. So Urmas brought the eagle to me for some diagnostics and i found out, using x-ray, that he had lead fragments in between the remaining tissues what means he had been shot. on necropsy i had some good news... he was pretty fat and inn a good condition, what means he was doing great. besides he had been traveling 230 km when we have direct measures from a coordinate to coordinate but they don't fly straight so the distance is definetly longer.
So for now I have written a expertise of the causes of death of the eagle to Environmental Inspectorate who should find the responsible people for the killing of the eagle and also the Veterinary- and Food Board is investigating the domestic animal corpses issue, as its illegal to take dead domestic animals into forest of fields.
But as you can think, the local hunters are playing stupid now, saying that they don't know anything about anything. who shot the eagle, who brought the corpses, why the corpses where laid in front of their hunting hut ect. As the land there is owned by government (State Forest Management Centre) and the local hunting club is renting it i hope at least the State Forest Management Centre will take some action quickly and not let those hunters pouch on governmental lands (if they don't help to find the responsible person)
I guess if y'all want to help, you can send some letters to the heads of State Forest Management Centre, Environmental Inspectorate, Environmental Board or Environmental Ministry. I guess the ministry would be the best and send it to the environmental minister would be a good to let know that international community is watching.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Thank you Dr. Madis for your informations and your efforts :wave:
Starling wrote:Some kind of petition from LK members would be nice too.
Yes, that would be nice.... Perhaps someone know what we have to do :unsure: ?
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Yes, we can make a petition, but I have to wonder if many individual letters would have more impact than one petition. I don't know the answer. How much notice does a Ministry take of a petition?

The link given by asteria gives clear information. We should write to -

Ministry of the Environment

Narva mnt 7a
15172 Tallinn,
Estonia
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Quite rightly, this has aroused outrage among Estonians and eagle lovers all over the world. Members are encouraged to write to the Ministry of the Environment in Estonia
Ministry of the Environment

Narva mnt 7a
15172 Tallinn,
Estonia

while we create a petition for anyone to sign. It is not restricted to members of this forum
link to follow.

Posts from members follow.
Starling

Post by Starling »

Madis wrote: I guess if y'all want to help, you can send some letters to the heads of State Forest Management Centre, Environmental Inspectorate, Environmental Board or Environmental Ministry. I guess the ministry would be the best and send it to the environmental minister would be a good to let know that international community is watching.
A very good idea. :hi: But do you think you could provide us the correct address / person where to send letters or e-mails. I tried to look here http://www.envir.ee/66813 but I´m confused. :dunno:

Some kind of petition from LK members would be nice too. But I don´t know how we could make it. :unsure:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Jo UK wrote:Yes, please, Chimega. The more people who know about this and write to the Environment Ministry, the better.
You bet, Jo. I am getting the information ready to post on those boards right now, along with what happened to Nimeta and the correct snail mail and email addresses to send to. I am pretty sure we will get a lot of support from those groups as they are very much wanting to save the lives of all eagles, world-wide.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

This appears to be the telephone number and the email address to contact!

Tel: (+372) 6262 802; Faks: (+372) 6262 801

e-post: keskkonnaministeerium@envir.ee
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I don't know how it is in Estonia, but here, if an official body receives a phone call, not much happens.
If they have a piece of paper it seems to trigger a response in them!
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

I have posted a message with email address plus the snail mail address, along with part of Dr Madis' message plus a photo of Nimeta in the two regular groups I belong to. Now to post in two others that I don't frequent as often but one is Finnish and the other is simply called Kalakotkas.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Good work, Chimega.
Let's tell the world about these criminals.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Jo UK wrote:Good work, Chimega.
Let's tell the world about these criminals.
I posted it in 4 forums. The exposure will be to around 10,000 people! Let's just hope some of them at least send an email, if not both.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

I have finally gotten my letter sent. It took me a little longer because of posting in so many forums on Facebook and answering so many questions, talking to people about how important it is to write, etc.

We are doing GOOD as far as response to the posts for emails and snail mail letters. There is one woman who is going to get a lot of her family to write as well because they are all animal and bird lovers.

I may post this in some of the owl groups as well. I am kinda tired, now, having been up all night as usual but very, very busy. But I am pleased that we are getting a good response.

Jo, if you need help setting up a petition, I can help you with that as I sign petitions on a regular basis and know where they come from. One is Care2 and another is The Petition Site.

Cheers to all :wave:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

The petition has been created. It had me sign in with my Facebook account and send the petition to a number of people on my friend list. I only sent it to the 15 or so allowed people, per day, that love animals and birds and would probably sign this. It pulled my real name from somewhere. Not sure where, and used an avatar that I haven't used in a while, but it is me! My real name is Kathie, not Chimega and not Kitty as I am on Facebook.

I am posting the link to the petition in here. I hope that this will work and that you can all sign it from here and share it as well. Please let me know if this does not work for you because if it doesn't, I will keep creating them until I do find one that works for people that are not Facebook users so that all can sign that want to. :peek:

http://www.change.org/petitions/ministr ... gle-nimeta#
Manu

Post by Manu »

Chimega: Thanks a lot to created this petition :thumbs: .

The petition is signed and all my friends are invited too to sign it also.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Thank you, Manu!! I have been seeing it come down my wall. I've posted it in both eagle forums that I belong to plus the Looduskalender page and also the Kalakotkas page on Facebook. I will keep inviting friends every 24 hours from Facebook, too. So far we have 12 signatures on the petition! Yay! :loveshower:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thanks, Chimega.
I signed it and passed it on, too.
Starling

Post by Starling »

Thank you indeed, Chimega!
It´s nice to see the amount of signers increasing... slowly but surely. :shake:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

So far, we already have 30 signatures!! Thank you all for helping! :thumbs:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I sent the link to Urmas, Renno and webmaster.
I think the numbers will grow over the weekend.
Bea

Post by Bea »

Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)

Return to “Petitions - Important Notes for Nature Lovers”