Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Jo UK
Site Admin

ESTLAT Estonian WTE Webcam 2013

Post by Jo UK »

A new nest for Linda and Sulev.

Links

The direct stream from the nest can be followed on the Looduskalender page here:
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/15887

or directly on a web player here: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/saunja.html

or for VLC-users here: rtsp://193.40.133.138:80/live/saunja

The WTE nesting season 2013 forum pages start here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=535

On the first link, the Looduskalender link you will also find an introduction to the fifth nesting season of the white-tailed sea eagle (WTE) camera written by Urmas Sellis (Estonian Ornithological Society, ESTLAT- Eagles cross borders project).

The White-Tailed Eagle Camera News in Looduskalender can be found here:
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/2906

In connection of the live camera there is also a camera which takes still pictures of the nest once every minute for the archives. This camera is called Pontu camera. A similar camera is operational at each EENET- bird's nest camera. The still pictures can be found in addresses which are of the following form:
*ttp://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2013-04-08/2013-04-08-08-36.jpg

Here the first letter h has been replaced with *, so that the address can be seen as whole. In the address above 'saunja' refers to the WTE nest. For other nests this part should be changed to for example with 'kure' for the black storks Tiina and Tiit's nest camera, or 'tooni' for the other black stork's nest which has in recent years been inhabited by lesser spotted eagles Tuuli and Remo. The date appears in the address twice (in the above example 2013-04-08 means April 8th 2013) and the time -08-36 means 36 minutes past 8 am. Editing the date and time will open the desired Pontu picture. Note that the date needs to be changed twice. If the picture is not found even for a seemingly valid address the time may be too early or too late: pictures are taken and stored only in the light time of the day.

Both cameras, the live and the Pontu camera switch off in darkness in order to save energy. Both work, however, in very low light levels so in the last and first pictures of the day almost nothing can be seen.
Last edited by ame on November 18th, 2013, 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Links update
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

As usual, an excellent description of the circumstances and set-up of this nest camera.

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/15887
ame

Post by ame »

EDIT: i have added here two links which give more information about this nest and its inhabitants.

1. What do we know about Linda and Sulev?
by Urmas Sellis, 03.03.2013 - 13:51 White-Tailed Eagle Camera News.

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/15997

2. Kotka pilgu all ehk Abimeheks kotka-TV käivitamisel
by Ulvar Käärt, Eesti Päevaleht Dec 11th 2012, (in web on Dec 10th 2012 05:00)

http://www.epl.ee/news/eesti/kotka-pilg ... d=65381840
In the Eesti Päevaleht- article the is a picture album with pictures of the installation of both the nest camera and the camera at the WTE winter feeding place.
A translation by Liis of this article can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=188842#p188842

*********************************************************************************************

great news!! :headroll:

right at the moment there's a thick untouched layer of snow on top of the nest but the view to Saunja bay over the forest is magnificient. :rolleyes:

the sound is clear with no extra hizzing or buzzing. earlier today a bullfinch or two passed by whistling their contact calls. a dog was barking far in the background.

congratulations Urmas and Renno and thank you! :loveshower:

Asteria was interested about the old nest: is there any information about it? will there be any camera? :unsure:
and is there any information about the Pontu camera? i guess there will be one, but when will it start?

EDIT: Urmas Lett gave an answer about the Pontu camera later. thank you Urmas L. :wave:
[color=#FF8000]On 06 Feb 2013, 15:59[/color] urmaslett wrote:Yes, the material is stored somewhere..
Saunja pictures:
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2013-02-04 ... -12-06.jpg
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2013-02-04 ... -12-07.jpg
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2013-02-04 ... -12-08.jpg

Urmas
Manu

Post by Manu »

What great news :loveshower: :headroll: . I had now a first :peek: to the "new" nest-cam...
Huge thank to Urmas and Renno and others who are involved :thumbs:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Now I'm keeping all available fingers crossed - in the hope to see, in my third year at LK forum, WTE nesting! :bow:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis silvestris wrote:Now I'm keeping all available fingers crossed
Me too :loveshower: Thank you to all involved :bow:
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

:headroll: Another nice webcam, it is difficult to choose where I'm looking

I think Great Tit, not sure

ame

Post by ame »

good morning, Fleur! :hi:
it was a willow tit. it had no tie in the neck. i heard the voice, too. :D

there was earlier a group of different tits, looking for food near the camera but no other except this willow tit came in to view. they were examining the connections of Urmas's and Renno's cables rattling them loudly. :mrgreen: i think that i heard siskins among this group, too.

bullfinches are whistling there and i think i've heard nuthatches, too. frost is making loud bangs in tree trunks.
ame

Post by ame »

after the morning birds talked around the nest it was mainly quiet here every time i looked. only bullfinches whistled every now and then. during the afternoon it snowed a little. night came at 16.15.
Image :sleep: :wave:
YTQ

Post by YTQ »

:loveshower: Please, a link to this cam! :blush:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

If you look up to the first post you find everything you need! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

ame wrote:good morning, Fleur! :hi:
it was a willow tit. it had no tie in the neck.
Thank you ame :thumbs:
ame

Post by ame »

a pair of bullfinches came into view! :loveshower:
a lot of their voices have been heard here so it was only probable that they came in front of the camera, too.

(more than some little birds visiting occasionally much no other action can be expected here before the end of February or so... so don't be disappointed if there's nothing to see. hubby had a look this morning and commented: "these cameras of yours are sooo dynamic! i have to hold on to the chair so i won't drop off the rhythm." :mrgreen: -but then he agreed that the seaview is ok (= it was there to be seen).

a male (on the left) and on the right a female.
even they seem to stick together around the year. :innocent:
Image..Image

YTQ :hi: welcome back! :D
Bea

Post by Bea »

I also got him :D
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
ame

Post by ame »

Bea :hi: :thumbs:

a woodpecker has been chopping wood nearby for some time. it worked first (12.27 - 12.44) near to the camera silently, just knock - knock - knock on a tree and i could almost hear (=imagine) how big pieces of wood it could chop off the tree. :laugh:
then at 12.50 it moved further and began to call, too, while it worked. it's a black woodpecker. :D

at 13.03 it changed tree again (i think), and then started work again, and calls.
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thank you very much, LK and Kotkaklubi! :bow: The camera angle is great. It would be wonderful to see Linda and Sulev again!
ame

Post by ame »

the black woodpecker was nearby and called persistently till about 2pm.

at 15.43 a magpie called somewhere not quite next to the nest: http://youtu.be/4zs6XS6QLgA
at 15.45 a willowtit called somewhere relatively close. a dog barker far for quite a long time. http://youtu.be/Itv1NyoViow
(i'm afraid that the voice is so low that a headset is needed. :slap: )

16.18 the camera turned off for the night. there was a beautiful evening glow on the snow in the nest and a good view to the sea.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

ame wrote: it's a black woodpecker. :D
I like the sound, thank you
Starling

Post by Starling »

December 22
13.06 Jay visited near the nest.
ame

Post by ame »

great captures Starling! :thumbs:
there was also more light so that the pictures are almost coloured and not black&white (of course: it's past Winter Solstice :mrgreen: )

the camera had turned on by 8.40 and itwent to sleep at 16.21. :sleep:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”