Stopping Bird Slaughter in Egypt

Petitions and campaigns
Jo UK
Site Admin

Stopping Bird Slaughter in Egypt

Post by Jo UK »

We have been notified of a nearly-successful attempt to end the slaughter of birds in Egypt.
We want to encourage all members to sign this petition, to give more force to worldwide opinion.

Dear friends of our birds,
Thanks a lot for your great support for our fight against the massive bird slaughter in Egypt!
Today I want to let you know that our common efforts are already bearing fruits: The German ministry of environment has reacted immediately and demanded an end to the trapping of migratory birds from the government of Egypt. It has also provided 20,000 Euro for urgent activities in the fight against the bird slaughter in Egypt. This money we are using to organize an international meeting including representatives of the Egyptian ministry of environment to develop an action plan aimed at ending the bird trapping.
Since October this year, my organization NABU, is already employing an expert in Egypt who is preparing this plan and will coordinate its implementation.
There is also hope on a higher political level: The new Egyptian environment minister, Dr Laila Iskandar, recently promised to the ambassador of Switzerland in Kairo, to attend to this matter. Currently an internal working group is being set up in her ministry, whose task it is to stop the bird slaughter.
I have asked the Egyptian ambassador in Berlin for a meeting to hand him the petition. The meeting is going to take place probably in the end of November / beginning of December. All signatures we will receive until then are going to be counted out and handed over.
Therefore, there are some more days remaining to collect further signatures. So far, we are 75,000. Let’s make it 100,000! Please help us, spread this petition again. Please advise all your friends and relatives to this petition by sharing the following link on Facebook or via e-mail:
http://www.change.org/de/Petitionen/sto ... r-in-egypt
Thanks a lot to all of you – together we can stop the bird slaughter in Egypt!
Yours
Lars Lachmann
Bird Conservation Officer
NABU (BirdLife International partner in Germany)
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Thanks for opening this important thread!

Definitely they have my agreement to these forced activities! It is known now for a long time what's it with the bird-trapping business in Egypt during migration season.
Since a TV doc right about that some months ago I didn't get rid :cry: of the pictures I had to watch. It was the say of a fence 100s of kms long!!!, near to the edge of the Mediterranean Sea. It's installed in a low distance to the ground so that our songbirds fly into it.
But I am somehow really dragged between "pro and con". One cannot work on banning such inappropriate habits without a support for realizing alternatives for the inhabitants to have a moderate living. The countrysides of Egypt are very poor, in relation to the intensified cultivation of nourishment for export, e.g. potatoes in spring, melons or cotton (need all an enormous irrigation…saltification of soils is another aspect) – and because of the lack of e.g. wheat (a basic good for own supply!).
Please do not mix up with the situation of bird killing on Malta! Completely different circumstances. Anything else possible than simple ban it there, as the inhabitants' income isn't endangered without.
Wil Muller

Post by Wil Muller »

Thanks for your concerns on this subject Jo. I have already signed some time ago and not shared on FB because all my friends are from LK, so that makes no sense. But your call today has impact, because the messages I got today on FB where a lot of my friends to sign the petition.
"Until it will show compassion for all living creatures, the man himself will not find peace" - Albert Schweitzer
dianeroone

Post by dianeroone »

Jo UK wrote:We have been notified of a nearly-successful attempt to end the slaughter of birds in Egypt.
We want to encourage all members to sign this petition, to give more force to worldwide opinion.
Dear Jo,

I have signed this before and hope that the effort is successful, even in some modest way if not completely. Worth it if any birds are saved from this slaughter. As for Malta, my sorrow and anger are beyond measure. As a US citizen, I can only urge economic sanctions and fines by the EU for treaty violations and failure to prosecute known hunters.

My best to you,

Diane
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Wil Muller wrote:But your call today has impact, because the messages I got today on FB where a lot of my friends to sign the petition.
I have had difficulty getting signed petitions the last months, and I had almost given up trying to sign. But I thought I had to try once again, and this time it worked, so now I finally have signed this important petition too:))
(Maybe it's Fb that won't let me :puzzled: )
Hélène

Post by Hélène »

I will sign this petition and spread around me (on Facebook too?)
It's very important...
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Nabu posted on Facebook that they will hand over the petition next week, but to reach 100.000 signatures they still miss 5000 people to sign.

I'm pushing this up today - maybe the goal still can be reached?

https://www.nabu.de/tiereundpflanzen/vo ... 15711.html
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

115.000 people signed the petition - http://www.nabu.de/tiereundpflanzen/voe ... 15711.html

It was handed over to the Egyptian ambassador today!

Thanks to everyone signing!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

The topic will be kept locked, if you are aware of an important petition or campaign, please send a PM or E-mail to one of the Administrators or Moderators and let us know about the details, links etc., we will decide if we can post a link here.

Return to “Petitions - Important Notes for Nature Lovers”