Estonian Tawny Owl Webcam

Tawny Owls and all the others
macdoum

Re: Estonian Tawny Owl Webcam

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote: These are the same jays as in Estonia aren't they? Viewing via cam it is often difficult to see all the colours.
Well.. :rotf: my avatar cat,sitting here on my knees..is very interested in the sound of all the jays. :shake:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

I don't know if this is the proper place to post this link, but I just discovered a webcam featuring a Spotted Eagle Owl nest in a potted plant on a balcony in South Africa. There are 3 chicks now & Mama & Papa are actively hunting & feeding them right now. It is nighttime there now, & I don't know how it goes in the daylight for the little family; will have to check back to see. The cam is shown through the Africam website, & you have to endure some advertisements (both video & banner ads), but the owlets are really cute & there is a good view of them.

Here is the link: http://www.africam.com/wildlife/lc_play ... p&sh=owl-1

I must confess, when I saw the name of the cam-- Pot Plant Owl-- I thought the nest was in a cannabis plant on the balcony in Johannesburg!! :rotf:

Edit, 9:16-- A kind member told me I should probably post this information in the owls of the world forum. I didn't know how to move it, so I copied the info & pasted it there.

A picture:

Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

To continue the off topic conversation about following bird ruckuses ---
My parents followed a ruckus and with the aid of their neighbours this is what they found

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:To continue the off topic conversation about following bird ruckuses ---
My parents followed a ruckus and with the aid of their neighbours this is what they found

Tell us more.. :shock: please Alice. ? caught hunting in plain daylight ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I think the poor Owl was just trying to sleep and the jays and crows were bombing at him. I think he is in a tree very close to where the crows nested. Even though nesting season is over the crows are protective. I know my parents neighbours let them into their back yard to see the owl -- from my parents yard the owl was hidden.

I am going to guess that earlier the owl had been better hidden in a big dark evergreen tree but was driven out by crows or jays when they found him.

I think I read that Tawny Owls tend to just ignore this harassment and stay put -- eventually the jays give up. But following the loud noises of cross jays/crows/corvids is one of the best ways I know to find owls.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

.... and eagles.! :D
Emily Dickinson
Tawny Granny

Post by Tawny Granny »

Hello My Friends.
Here you've got some nice pictures from an eagle owl family life in Nederland:
http://www.beleefdelente.nl/oehoe
They were more succesfull this year then our babes
Regards!!!
Ophiophagus

Post by Ophiophagus »

alice44 wrote:To continue the off topic conversation about following bird ruckuses ---
Hi, Alice! :wave: This is a Strix varia! :bounce: The owls tolerate well generally, when the birds disturb them.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Ophiophagus wrote: Hi, Alice! :wave: This is a Strix varia! :bounce: The owls tolerate well generally, when the birds disturb them.
Yes, I did not post it's name because at first I was not sure. They also tolerate people pretty well.
Mew

Post by Mew »

alice44 wrote: Yes, I did not post it's name because at first I was not sure. They also tolerate people pretty well.
Are they found only in N. America?
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

ALL about Owls here;
http://www.owlpages.com/sounds.php :their way of living,dating and sounds too. :D
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Mew I had a brief look at MacDoum's link and judging by the names the Ural Owl is the Barred Owl's closest relative in Europe.

here the barred owl has been expanding its territory. As the Spotted Owl becomes scarce (it is bothered by people and logging and lives in old growth forests because it hunts mainly flying squirrels, which need the big old trees to survive) the Barred Owl moves in. And the Barred Owl seems to have a varied diet. When my mom and I visited Vancouver Island we watched one fishing in the daylight. It was amazing, but sort of sad because it should have been Spotted Owl territory.

I should look and see if I can find an Owl family tree -- so we can see Owl relationships around the world a little better.
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

Just so we don't forget what our beloved Tawny Owls sound like - here's a clip (audio, not much to see) from a (non-bird-specific) webcam somewhere in the Netherlands where a male and 2 female Tawny Owls happened to be recorded last April:

mei2k

Post by mei2k »

Oh i love these voices! Thank you, Bosuil!
Maybe in two months our beloved Klaara will return again to her nest. Can you believe this? Time passes so quickly. I miss her very much.
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Kitty KCMO wrote:I don't know if this is the proper place to post this link, but I just discovered a webcam featuring a Spotted Eagle Owl nest in a potted plant on a balcony in South Africa. There are 3 chicks now & Mama & Papa are actively hunting & feeding them right now. It is nighttime there now, & I don't know how it goes in the daylight for the little family; will have to check back to see. The cam is shown through the Africam website, & you have to endure some advertisements (both video & banner ads), but the owlets are really cute & there is a good view of them.

Here is the link: http://www.africam.com/wildlife/lc_play ... p&sh=owl-1

I must confess, when I saw the name of the cam-- Pot Plant Owl-- I thought the nest was in a cannabis plant on the balcony in Johannesburg!! :rotf:

Edit, 9:16-- A kind member told me I should probably post this information in the owls of the world forum. I didn't know how to move it, so I copied the info & pasted it there.

A picture:

That is adoreable!
Helen
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Jo, is there any news of the Tawny Owl webcam for this year ?
Emily Dickinson
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I don't have any information yet. Will try to find out :D
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

I'm so eager to see Klaara! I visit eoy.ee every day. Still nothing new :faint:
estonice

Post by estonice »

mei2k wrote:I'm so eager to see Klaara! I visit eoy.ee every day. Still nothing new :faint:
Me too :shake: , but here is still so cold and too much snow :banghead: .
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

Bosuil wrote:Just so we don't forget what our beloved Tawny Owls sound like - here's a clip (audio, not much to see) from a (non-bird-specific) webcam somewhere in the Netherlands where a male and 2 female Tawny Owls happened to be recorded last April:
Another beautiful audio clip (w/images, but no owls to be seen) has been posted from this place in the Netherlands with a conversation between male and female Tawny Owl:

Let's hope we get news from Klaara and Klaus' nest soon!

Return to “Estonian Owl Webcam Forum”