Estonian Osprey Nest ~Irma & Joosep~ (I&I) DISCUSSION 2015

Bea

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest ~Irma & Joosep~ (I&I) DISCUSSION 2

Post by Bea »

Birdfriend wrote:12:28 Niina is back. I hope, all is good with Joosep, Bea?!
Maybe he is off for migration and osprets are forced to take care of themselves now. We will see what the day will show us. It is normal for this time of nest life.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

I thought, that the male osprey at last go for migration, when all children leave. :puzzled:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Bea

Post by Bea »

That´s why I wrote that we have to see what the day will still show us. Perhaps he will deliver fish in the evening? It is also no rule that all fish is delivered on the nest here, we know from another cam in season 2012, which was on an unoccupied Osprey nest, that this nest was used for fish deliveries, too.

Joosep provided all the kids with plenty of food and well until now. Maybe he decided that it is enough now :D

Last year´s chicks were seen on September, 12th, for the last time on the nest, and I think Niina and Thor are also "ready" for their migration. Perhaps Joosep left first to give them a push to this direction :wink:
Bea

Post by Bea »

Thor on the nest, in the shadow of Niina on the cam support :D

Shanta

Post by Shanta »

Have a question ... Yolanda, her last seeing was 05. Sept. ... so little by little fear of Yolanda. Now we have a different of 8 days ... is it, can it be normal? Hmmm, don't know if it whether it is also due to educating parents and Irma (sadly don't know about last seeing) is already on the way to the south ... so Joosep don't know what to do, or he is a bit la lazy ... or don't not what.
Such a different between nest of Mikk and Mai, don't know what to think about it.
Bea

Post by Bea »

Despite all one can read about Ospreys in books and articles, their behaviour and what to do when, ---> they are individuals.

Some return earlier than others in spring, some leave later than others in autumn, differences in developments between the chicks on one nest are normal as well.
andi7

Post by andi7 »

In Latvian nest one youngster disappeared long before the other two. Ungurs left some weeks earlier than Amata and Raiskums. In 2013 season I think Pelecis disappeared also more than a week before the others. Maybe it's another trick of nature to increase migration success by separating the time the ospreys went south. Travelling in different time slots osprets will have different weather conditions during their flights and a possible bad weather situation will not hit every ospret of a nest.
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

Bea wrote:Despite all one can read about Ospreys in books and articles, their behaviour and what to do when, ---> they are individuals.

Some return earlier than others in spring, some leave later than others in autumn, differences in developments between the chicks on one nest are normal as well.
Thanks Bea, think this was your answer of my question.
Sadly my english is not so good to read or understand all books or articles. From my own pets know, all are individuals are different and have their own behaviour.
Please excuse, that I've ask about behaviour in nest Joosep and Irma, maybe was a wrong question of me.
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

andi7 wrote:In Latvian nest one youngster disappeared long before the other two. Ungurs left some weeks earlier than Amata and Raiskums. In 2013 season I think Pelecis disappeared also more than a week before the others. Maybe it's another trick of nature to increase migration success by separating the time the ospreys went south. Travelling in different time slots osprets will have different weather conditions during their flights and a possible bad weather situation will not hit every ospret of a nest.
Thanks Andi, now I am reassured and make me less worried because Yolanda.
Bea

Post by Bea »

No worries about language, Shanta - we all speak "Ospreyish" :laugh:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Sometimes, I think, Thor could also be a female osprey. He has also dark breast feathers. :puzzled:
And also his size.
andi7

Post by andi7 »

Juvenile plumage will change. As far as I know it's not possible to tell the gender of youngsters by plumage.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Yes, Andi7, but we know also not exactly, that Thor is male. It is only my observation.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Good morning Maggy!
I check on you every morning and admire your patience for this nest which takes much longer than Klara's or the Buzzard.

Looks like this two ospreys didn't read Bea's article on the front page... Are they planning to wait there for the spring?? :rotf:

I think Thor was counting all the fish Yolanda got while he was begging for a small piece during long days. Now he won't go till he'll get the same amount as his sisters :laugh:

Have a nice weekend !
Bea

Post by Bea »

Abigyl wrote:...Looks like this two ospreys didn't read Bea's article on the front page... Are they planning to wait there for the spring??....
Mr. Looduskalender is writing the articles on the main page --- but it looks definately that Niina and Thor didn´t read it! :mrgreen:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Niina and Thor need full tanks for their long way to the south. It seems to me, that Joosep has no desire more to deliver.
Is he maybe to young for this great responsibility? It gives many to little food for the youngsters.
javabird

Post by javabird »

They are 98 and 95 days old separately. They are old enough to migrate.
Don't worry!
Summi

Post by Summi »

:hi:
There is a strong wind blowing from the southeast which is not very good for migration.
May all LK ospreys always have wind under their wings, good catching of fish and come back healthy and well.

A big THANK YOU to Eaglemen, mods and everybody for making it possible to watch these lovely birds and being a part of the nestlife and the friendly eagle-loving community. :bow:
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I fully agree with your posting Summi, and
I thank as well for this wonderful summer 2015 where we were able to see Irma and Joosep caring and working for the chicks.
Thanks to everybody who works and gives support in many different places concerning this birdwatching possibilities.
:loveshower:
ciana

Post by ciana »

Hi everybody,

two movings, change of job and other issues did not let me follow the ospreys as much as I liked to -
besides being rather quiet anyway. In particular I completely missed the hatching and first two weeks after.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed catching up and keeping up to date.

Thank you to all who make the site and the cams possible.

See you all next season - take care and safe travels for the birds...

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”