Estonian Osprey Nest ~Irma & Joosep~ (I&I) DISCUSSION 2015

Birdfriend

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest ~Irma & Joosep~ (I&I) DISCUSSION 2

Post by Birdfriend »

For comparison: Jooseps and Irmas nest at 26.04.2015 and today at 15.09.2015
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Birdfriend wrote:For comparison: Jooseps and Irmas nest at 26.04.2015 and today at 15.09.2015
:hi: After seeing the photo of the spring nest, I remember energetic and cheerful J3, which has received subsequently the name Joosep. He was tireless! I enjoyed watching Joosep diligently built the nest. Joosep an optimist and a hard worker! He, along with Irma in the nest gave birth to and raised three beautiful Chicks. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Yes, that's not fair to compare a spring nest with an autumn nest. I fully agree with Gavril!
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Janne+Ais wrote:Yes, that's not fair to compare a spring nest with an autumn nest. I fully agree with Gavril!
It was only a comparison, how the nest has changed about these months. :nod:
I think, Gavril has this also so understood.
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Yes of course, I didn't want to harm you! Sorry. I was not serious. Just a little banter. We all love these birds and we shouldn't be too serious, because they don't mind at all.

@birdfriend Es war nicht so ernst gemeint, bitte entschuldige, wenn Du da was in den falschen Hals bekommen hast. Ich wollte Dich nicht zurechtweisen oder so. Alles halb so wild von meiner Seite aus. :bow:
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Bea wrote:Thor on the nest, in the shadow of Niina on the cam support :D
What a great picture! :thumbs: :mrgreen:
andi7

Post by andi7 »

Niina was not in the nest since yesterday 10:09. So I think Niina started her migration after her yesterday morning visits.
http://193.40.124.24/2015-kalakotkas2-f ... -10-09.jpg
Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

Yesterday it was sunny just like the day when Carla left. May be weather conditions play a role? :unsure:

Donation for KOTKAKLUBI
IBAN EE18 2200 2210 4035 9778 - BIC HABAEE2X - Swedbank AS
Wire Transfer via SEPA in EURO Countries

search.php?keywords=villa&terms=all&aut ... mit=Search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBTIDeR ... vpJrE-ImTh
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Birdfriend wrote: It was only a comparison, how the nest has changed about these months. :nod:
I think, Gavril has this also so understood.
:hi: :hi: Yes, Birdfriend, I understand. Life flows, changes and gives hope for the continuation....I think we all wait to see what arises and passes the life in this nest! :bounce:
Summi

Post by Summi »

16:28
Thor standing and calling on the nest as if saying, "I was eager to leave yesterday with Niina but as silence in this nest will get on your nerves, I've decided to stay a little bit longer". :mrgreen:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

I was trying to check the fledging dates on the front doc page but did not find - does someone have saved the dates? Thor was not the last fledgling, was he?

Niina's fledging 2nd Aug: viewtopic.php?p=413829#p413829
Thor's maiden flight 3rd Aug: viewtopic.php?p=414104#p414104
Yolanda's maiden flight 4th Aug: viewtopic.php?p=414264#p414264
- they did it in alphabetical order :mrgreen:

And Yolanda migrated first, last pic record the 5th Sep: viewtopic.php?p=419709#p419709
Niina migrated secondly, last appearance the 15th Sep: viewtopic.php?p=421182#p421182

Thor is still loudly calling somewhere in the forest now 16th Sep at 18:35
Birdfriend wrote:18:30 Thor calls from the nearby. Joosep has him sedate on diet.
Joosep will surely steer him to migrate and to learn fishing himself :shake: - Is Thor a lazy boy?
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Thor had very little food comparing to his sisters. We saw it in many nest, of other birds, that the little one begged all the time and didn't get food while the older siblings had much of it.

Most of the youngest chicks, are very fast to fly or leaving the nest. Is it more motivation? Or is it because they were always the last in line??

Even now, after weeks of intensive feeding, he is still very small.
andi7

Post by andi7 »

Thor got the same amount of food as his siblings. He became a nice big ospret just like the other two. There is nothing to worry about. A hierarchy during feedings is absolutely normal for these birds. Since they fledged all three got enough and equal food, Joosep and Irma are a good providers. There were some fightings for fish, but not much.

They are individuals and follow their instinct, so nobody knows who migrates first until they do it. I'm not sure who is egg #1, #2 and #3. Because the camera was offline for some days, I lost track comparing their plumages.

Yolanda fledged third and migrated first, so there is at least one deviation, maybe there are more. Difference in hatching time is small compared to lifetime of the three osprets. I don't know if ospreys normally start migration in hatching order. They fledge about eight weeks after hatching and migrate about 12-13 weeks after hatching. So I think it's more likely that they fledge in hatching order than start migration in hatching order.
seira

Post by seira »

Bea wrote:Camera is far from working normal. It freezes and interrupts all the time.
Birdfriend wrote:[Yes, it was only for some minutes. :help:12:37 Distant calling from Thor.

"today"... cam stream is working well here
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

13:00 The cam is completely off. :faint:
mayachernaya

Post by mayachernaya »

Why Thor still doesn't fly South?
andi7

Post by andi7 »

Because he likes the services in Joosep's fish restaurant. ;-) Maybe its bad weather on the migration route. He's got his instinct. He will go, when he's ready and the weather is good for migration.
mayachernaya

Post by mayachernaya »

Today Joosep does not bring the fish from its own restaurant for hungry Thor :cry: Maybe Joosep went to migrate?
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

mayachernaya wrote:Today Joosep does not bring the fish from its own restaurant for hungry Thor :cry: Maybe Joosep went to migrate?
I thought it also. It would be sad. :nod:
Edit: Now, we know, Joosep is luckily still here.
asteria

Post by asteria »

I don't think Joosep leaves without teaching Thor how to catch fish.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”