Black Stork nest in Portugal

Ciconia nigra cams and information
Lucy

Re: Black Stork nest in Portugal

Post by Lucy »

:hi:
A pair of Griffon Vultures have an egg! :D I saw it on Feb. 3 about 11:40 local time.

What's more, around 14:10, a Black Stork appeared on the opposite end of the ledge! :loveshower:
He stayed there for about 5 minutes, and then flew away. Unfortunately, the camera picture was of very bad quality at that time, but there is no doubt that it was the Black Stork.
I wonder what will happen next, ... the nest is occupied by the Vultures. :puzzled:

fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Lucy wrote::hi:
A pair of Griffon Vultures have an egg! :D I saw it on Feb. 3 about 11:40 local time.
What's more, around 14:10, a Black Stork appeared on the opposite end of the ledge! :loveshower:
He stayed there for about 5 minutes, and then flew away. Unfortunately, the camera picture was of very bad quality at that time, but there is no doubt that it was the Black Stork.
I wonder what will happen next, ... the nest is occupied by the Vultures. :puzzled:
:loveshower: WOW Lucy. You got it. I was not lucky to see it. :2thumbsup:
And that is exactly what I am thinking about: Is there still a nesting place for the blackstorks.
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

fireblade1 wrote: :loveshower: WOW Lucy. You got it. I was not lucky to see it. :2thumbsup:
And that is exactly what I am thinking about: Is there still a nesting place for the blackstorks.
Well, it was a real surprise, Fireblade. I totally did not expect to see a Black Stork there in early February. Let’s hope the storks will choose some other suitable place on the rock to establish a clutch, which the camera will be able to show. The old nesting place was very comfortable because of the large "terrace" where storklets could walk freely and practice their wings safely.
Today, I have not seen a stork, I do not know whether he has visited the rock.

Only a Vulture sitting quietly and steadily on its egg. Incubating is a very tedious job, the only diversion is to stretch the wings and rotate the egg, from time to time: :wink:

fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave:
12:05h (LK-time)
The black stork and the GV
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

12:40h
The Vulture chased the Black Stork away
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Feb. 11

No new visits of Black Stork. :roll:

On the rock above the vultures' nest, female Kestrel appeared.

Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Yesterday evening, on Feb 24 (sorry for the delay in posting :blush: ), I saw two visits of a pair of Black Storks on the rocks. :loveshower: Each time they landed in the nest in which a Rüppell's Vulture used to rest from time to time, in recent days (see photo below). This nest is located some ten meters higher than their previous nest, in which Griffon Vultures incubate their egg (the distance betwen the nests is well visible at the beginning of the second video).

The first time, I saw them at about 17:50 (Estonian time), and after a few minutes they flew away.

Two hours later, before 20h, both storks came back to the nest and started to rearrange the twigs. They stayed there for the night. It seems to me (looking at the lighter head of the female), it can be the same pair as in the previous two seasons.

Videos of two visits:

Rüppell's Vulture (a screenshot of Feb 18)

The first visit of Black Storks:

The second visit:
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Thank you Lucy for the beautiful pictures and videos.
Okay, today I saw arrivals and departures below the GV nest. Not so nice picture and video
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

I'm posting too late again, sorry (I'm usually very busy all the day).

:hi: You are right, fireblade. Today, the storks arrived several times. :nod: For the first time they appeared at about 11:30. They tried to persuade the vulture he should left the nest, but the vulture had a different opinion, and chased away the storks again.

More than one hour later, a single stork landed on the rock below nest, perhaps a third one(?)

In the afternoon, at about 15h (then, later than your recording), a pair of storks came once again followed by the third stork which, however, disappeared quickly behind the rock. This time the vulture did not react, and the storks flew away without his help.

I don't know whether they have returned for night to their alternative (upper) nest, because the camera did not show this place.
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

Lucy wrote:Today, the storks arrived several times. :nod: For the first time they appeared at about 11:30. They tried to persuade the vulture he should left the nest, but the vulture had a different opinion, and chased away the storks again.
LOL

:wave: Hi all

Sorry I don't have much time to come here. But yes, the GV family occupied the former BS nest and they will have to find another one.

The egg was laid on the 2nd February: you can see it for the first time in here
http://grifos-na-web.blogspot.com/2011/02/ovo.html

If we are lucky the BS will stay on the nest where they have been seen (it was the nest where we saw 3 years ago the birth of a GV :loveshower: ). This nest is much better for them: it's huge!!! but they will have lots of places to hide :whistling:

There are plenty of pics and videos in the blog I told you http://grifos-na-web.blogspot.com (and also in the forum that is there but you have to register to see the pics in the forum). Sorry it's in portuguese but with translators you will manage to understand :book:
Be Natural
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Thank you for all the information. Ok this is my first year and I do not know what happend some years ago. But I think the two black stork should stay at this place :D
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

BTW. We think that one of the storks is the female from last years (with the lighter head) but we couldn't confirm yet if it is the same male (with the ring).
The biologist says that there are 2 couples now in Portas de Ródão
Be Natural
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

11:21h LK-time
After 13 minutes....

Shadow at the end
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:loveshower: I see a black stork arriving on the ledge,is picking around.
The cameraman has zoomed. :D
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

08:30h (german time)
They are there again
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

Yes! And they were lot's of time yesterday :puzzled:
As it is still early to build the nest they found out something to be occupied on
Poor BS
Be Natural
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

I forgot to tell you...
They were seen mating on the 27th :loveshower:
And we could confirm also that it is the same couple then last year :shake:
Be Natural
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Yesterday (March 4), the BSs mated again in the upper nest. Soon, one of them flew away. Then, the second of GVs couple came and chased away the stork. Two BSs came back shortly after, but they sat behind the rock, on its invisible side. GV was still in the upper nest, while another vulture landed there, but it was also driven out. The second of the GVs, that was sitting on the egg, stood up, looked up and estimated that his mate had mastered a threat, so flew away to look for food. GV came down and started incubating the egg.

Unfortunately, on the video (containing selected fragments of the 1-hour recording) no zoom image and the details are not well visible. At the beginning of the movie, please, pay special attention on the upper left part of the picture (full screen better):

Return to “Black Storks”