Estonian Osprey Nest ~Mai & Mikk~ (P&M) DISCUSSION 2015

Shanta

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest ~Mai & Mikk~ (P&M) DOCUMENTATION 20

Post by Shanta »

Bea wrote:18:06

Shanta, what about placing more pics in discussions topic, when you have different ones? The situation was extraordinary
Hi Bea,
tried to insert pics but edit button has gone, have only quote button :puzzled:
Bea

Post by Bea »

You have 2 hours to edit a post, then editing is not possible any longer.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

Kukelke wrote: One thing is pretty sure: Mai doesn't stay because she thinks that Mikk isn't a good provider. I saw mikk deliver 4 fish in the course of 30 minutes, so a mediocre provider he is not.
Neither does Mai stay because her offspring hasn't learnt to fish yet. Almost no osplet knows how to fish before they start their migration. This is one of the instincts they have embedded in their genes, and they will learn it as they go.

The parents aren't giving any master classes in fishing where the osplets are being taught with an exam on the end :mrgreen: .
Thanks for information, Kukelke. Since Mikk did not bring to much fish one or the other day, like Sunday and today and he started heavy rotation when I did not see Mai anymore. I was wrong thinking that the parents teach them to fish or that they learn by watching.
Birdfriend wrote:19:46 Oh, poor girls, so less fish today. I saw in pontu, no delivery more. The girls wait on the nest the whole day. :unsure:
Hungry, sleepy and sad. She was standing like this for more than half an hour not saying anything.

Donation for KOTKAKLUBI
IBAN EE18 2200 2210 4035 9778 - BIC HABAEE2X - Swedbank AS
Wire Transfer via SEPA in EURO Countries

search.php?keywords=villa&terms=all&aut ... mit=Search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBTIDeR ... vpJrE-ImTh
javabird

Post by javabird »

I think Cecilia didn't get any fish today. Poor girl. She waited in nest until dark.
Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

javabird wrote:I think Cecilia didn't get any fish today. Poor girl. She waited in nest until dark.
No she didn't. At least not in the nest according to the documentation topic. Time to learn how to fish :rolleyes:
Donation for KOTKAKLUBI

Bea

Post by Bea »

Poor Mikk, nearly pushed down from the nest :mrgreen:

Bea

Post by Bea »

Male Osprey "Kalle" - the mate of female Osprey "Tiiu" from the neighboured nest (she wore a transmitter in autumn2014/spring2015 migration) has started his migration now!

Tiiu could be trapped and released from her transmitter - and Kalle trapped and attached with one :D

Migration Map:
http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/EN/2015/Autumn/one/

No "fresh" text in the news box yet, but migration map is updated.

When you click on the camera-symbol beside Kalle´s name right beside the map, there are three pics of Kalle, on the first one is Doc Madis Leivits who holds him short before Kalle takes off again, with his transmitter on the back. His ring looks like an "LC" :puzzled:
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

What are you, Carla? Not a fish? .....I imagine that these sisters synchronized will migrate out shoulder to shoulder..... :D
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Yes, Gavril, I had already once in it thought.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Isn't it sweet that both girls are so well fed nowadays! Some of us were unsure in their beginning of their life: could they both get food enough to make it. We hesitated whether Mikk could provide food enough, we did not expect that Mai could be such an excellent provider, too...

And Mikk provided even double deliveries and much more - and both chicks have it more than fine today! Any of these days they will start their migration - and we will miss them all ... It has been a nice year at this nest - unique, which I wouldn't give away. Good luck girls, Mai and Mikk! And all you followers! :wave:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

When measured Cecilia was the bigger one of the chicks. But she fledged three days after Carla. What do you think - which one was older - as both hatched during the same day? I think it is obvious that Carla is a girl, she (and Cecilia) has the Mai's dark breast feathers.
viewtopic.php?p=365866#p365866

It is interesting to see who migrates first or do they do that, too, simultaneously ...
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

I observe Carla since a long time, and I think, what for a feeling or instinct must it be for her, after three months together suddenly alone to be.
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

It is possible that I look at the situation with the human eye, but it seems to me that Carla is now a little discouraged by the lack of sisters...
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

So Cecilia looks like have migrated today. She was the bigger one measured at the ringing. She maybe was the one who hatched in the morning and Carla in the evening same day. Even if Carla fledged three days earlier. These chicks are as mysterious as their parents - and all of them made a splendid cam season! Thank you all on the forum for pics, news and stories!
Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

Just in case we have seen Carla and Mikk the last time today. Here the video.

Second version. Forgot to put the last "may-be-last-take-off" from Mikk in the one before.

Is this my daughter Carla up there?

:wave: Birdfriend. No crying. We had a wonderful season. And there will be another. And the video ist "just in case". I could be wrong, but my intuition says so. Nice weather today for going south.
Donation for KOTKAKLUBI

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Thank you very much, Luz! I feel a bit melancholy around my heart. :cry:
It is so finally!
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Thanks, indeed, Luz, you made a nice collage of the departures! It is melancholic, as Birdfiend felt, too. Good luck to the migrators and welcome back next year, Mikk and Mai!
Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

Bea wrote:Male Osprey "Kalle" - the mate of female Osprey "Tiiu" from the neighboured nest (she wore a transmitter in autumn2014/spring2015 migration) has started his migration now!
Migration Map: http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/EN/2015/Autumn/one/
No "fresh" text in the news box yet, but migration map is updated.
Kalle (what a nice name) is already in the Ukraine near Black sea. Text is available now. --> Second male Osprey will be added to the map if starts to migrate.
Donation for KOTKAKLUBI

Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Good day! Surely, today Carla and Mikk will not arrive in the nest? I know that parting is inevitable, however sad....I loved sisters Carla and Cecilia. Hope we will see next season Mai and Mikk. I thank all for the interesting stories, comments, videos and photos! And yet...it is a pity that that left the nest in 2012, Uno, Elo and Nori has not appeared in the vicinity of their home nest.... :unsure: I want to add that the first experience of breeding for Mai and Mikk can be considered successful. And that's fine! :2thumbsup:
Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

Even if they are gone I guess we will see other birds or may be Martin the Marten 8-) again in the nest. It's sort of sad but on the other hand this family kept me busy somehow and away from things I should have done. 8-)
We are gifted to have the pleasure watching this somehow special family. And if I think of NY and the attack against the ringer, they are special too. This was fun. It's also nice to know that Piret is doing fine. And I guess we will have again a few more surprises next season. Yes, I would have liked also to see or hear about the kids from Piret and Madis. And if Ilmar is doing fine. But may be one will spot one or the other some of those days and tells about it.

Thanks to all of you sharing your thoughts, videos, pictures and so on. It was very relaxed this season. Big hug to all of you.

We are family. I brought my sister, Mom and Dad with me .... :wink:

Donation for KOTKAKLUBI

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”