White-tailed Eagles Discussion ~ 2009 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

renno

Re: White-tailed Eagles Cam 2009 Discussion

Post by renno »

vaino wrote: I wonder, what is the migration pattern of these eagles ? Could Renno advise us !!
Adult WTEs are quite local here in Estonia mainly due to the mild winters - they can find enough food during the wintertime. Also the density of the population is quite big in some regions of Estonia and adults stay probably also due to that - others can occupy the nest site and the territory meanwhile the wintertime. Many of the inland WTEs can also survive the winter thanks to the carcass of different mammals, some WTEs eat mainly animals which are killed by the wolves and lynx.

Juvenile WTEs move around more than adults based on the data of ringed birds. They can fly max 1500 km to the south up to Hungary, Austria, Romania but most of them are around the Baltic Sea.

But this is new for us that Sulli and Kluti stay so long time at the nest site - we though they should leave the parents and the nest in August or the beginning of September.
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Our eaglet took off...
Proud to be a member of SHoW
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Good job Renno,and thank you for information. Then there is something to be learnt after all. Good,means the camera will stay a little longer. :thumbs: (and we all know somebody who will be (is) VERY pleased. :whistling: ) :bounce:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Renno,
Thanks for the information. I had the impression that the young eagles had been expected to leave but I was not sure it was not my imagination.
vaino

Post by vaino »

Sept.29
11:55
Thanks Renno for the information! Looks like that Sulli and Kluti have finally moved on - nobody shows up at the nest anymore.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Why do you think they have moved on today, Vaino?

They were at the nest last night/evening.
ame

Post by ame »

the wind is VERY HARD, again, but i haven't seen a wind this hard before. the trees are swaying more than ever and also the sound of the wind is very strong. i tried to look for weather information in Estonia to see what the speend of the wind is but couldn't find it :puzzled: in about which region of Estonia is this nest?
ame

Post by ame »

i found it! :headroll: it's in the Silma nature reserve and guess who's the "cover girls" on the weather page here:
http://www.weather.ee/silma/
:laugh: the wind speed there seems to be 7,8 m/s from the West, if i got it right. that's not as much as it seems on the cam though...
here's the address of the web pages of the Silma nature reserve:
http://life.silma.ee/index.htm
unfortunately i don't have time to read it now... gotta work :faint:
Liis

Post by Liis »

(Renno's post about juvenile eagle behavior in Estonia)

Harald Misund tells a little about "his" young eagles this year here - thank you, Harald!

There seems to be snowslush expected in some areas in Estonia this week ... :shock:
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Today our Sulli and Kluti didn`t vist the nest...maybe they flew away to discover a big World...I didn`t hear their call too today. :unsure:
What brings to us tomorrow...we can see this tomorrow. :D
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

ame wrote:i found it! :headroll: it's in the Silma nature reserve and guess who's the "cover girls" on the weather page here:
http://www.weather.ee/silma/
:laugh: the wind speed there seems to be 7,8 m/s from the West, if i got it right. that's not as much as it seems on the cam though...
here's the address of the web pages of the Silma nature reserve:
http://life.silma.ee/index.htm
unfortunately i don't have time to read it now... gotta work :faint:
Ame, well done for finding the asnwer to those questions. That ILM forecast says that Sunday will be even more windy: 11 m/s.
I don't know how to translate that into the kind of windspeed I know - miles per hour or Km per hour.
Per second is outside of my experience!!
ame

Post by ame »

Jo UK wrote: Ame, well done for finding the asnwer to those questions. That ILM forecast says that Sunday will be even more windy: 11 m/s.
I don't know how to translate that into the kind of windspeed I know - miles per hour or Km per hour.
Per second is outside of my experience!!
11 m/s is about 40 km/h which is 25 miles /hour. 10 m/s equals 36 km/h, 20 m/s equals 72 km/h etc. wind speed above 20 m/s it is a storm, about 8 m/s is just a breeze...
plus i'm a bit embaressed about my yesterday's finding: the weather link is on the LK front page just above the link to this forum! silly me... :blush: :blush:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Ame
I knew I had seen it but I had NO idea where -- so don't be embarrassed and you translated the wind speed! :thumbs:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thank you, ame, for telling us westerners about windspeed.
Now it makes sense.

I remember that at 40 mph I had to hold on to a tree trunk, when I was too close to a cliff edge, in Cornwall.
So 20 mph holds no terrors for me! But it looks vigorous, among trees.
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Hi! :wave:

Stormy, no eagle voices...
vaino

Post by vaino »

Jo UK wrote:Why do you think they have moved on today, Vaino?

They were at the nest last night/evening.
Sept.30, 12:30, Jo, it was just my hunch! But the weather is changing and today Mutikluti(our most reliable observer) confirms the no-show. And Renno thought so also. Let's hope I was wrong!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

It looks like your hunch is right, Vaino!
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

17.01 i heard an eagle calling shortly!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

Good morning! :wave:

I heard today early morning eagle voice too but seems that this were not Sulli`s or Kluti`s voice... I think that they left their childhood forest... :unsure: Last days were colder and they flew away as Renno wrote....

Good luck for you, Sulli and Kluti! :wave:
sunnygirl

Post by sunnygirl »

Mutikluti wrote:Good morning! :wave:

I heard today early morning eagle voice too but seems that this were not Sulli`s or Kluti`s voice... I think that they left their childhood forest... :unsure: Last days were colder and they flew away as Renno wrote....

Good luck for you, Sulli and Kluti! :wave:
I hope the very same to them :wave:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”