Post by Mamicja »

:wave:
Leo on the ledge

Lotte flew on tle ledge

Leo in the lower nest

Lotte on the ledge
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

Mamicja :hi:, great, that you could catch both of the couple. I like the pics. :loveshower:
Bea

Post by Bea »

Oh happy evening - Leo and Lotte on the ledge :loveshower:

Leo arrives at 19:56 and leaves at 20:07

20:07 Lotte arrives upside and Leo parallel on the down nest place
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

Bea wrote:Oh happy evening - Leo and Lotte on the ledge :loveshower: ...
Yesssss, Bea :hi: . I enjoy, that you didn't cut the vids :rolleyes: .
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

:hi:
21:15 - 21:33 Lotte on the ledge
Image Image

Image Image
romy

Post by romy »

:hi: 21: 32 owl with ring on the left, sound like Leo but for me it looks like another owl
Image Image

owlet from this year?
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

romy wrote: owlet from this year?
It's very unlikely that owlet from this year is still in parents territory.
Bea

Post by Bea »

This is yesterdays visitor, hooting on the ledge, it keeps standing on the same position, no walking around or so ... I left the video uncut.

---

Today in the morning at 05:57 we had another visitor, no doubt about being Leo :D

Lotte´s voice can be heard, too - short before the chapell bell begins to ring and also afterwards
Bea

Post by Bea »

Btw ...

I don´t know who is following the German Barn Owl webcam here .....
http://memmingen-unterallgaeu.lbv.de/we ... ebcam.html

There is a chatroll also and one of the members posted a link to an interesting article about sleeping owls/owlets, on the webpage of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft

In German
https://www.mpg.de/7485564/eulen_schlaf

In English
https://www.mpg.de/7487401/baby-owls-sleep

They examined Barn Owls, but as I understand it, it concernes other owlets/bird chicks, too.

Interesting to read in any way, especially for owl lovers :wink:
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

Bea wrote:

They examined Barn Owls, but as I understand it, it concernes other owlets/bird chicks, too.

Interesting to read in any way, especially for owl lovers :wink:
Yes, Barn Owl was model object in this project but results refer to all bird chicks.
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

There is a new article from Stefan Brucher on the site.
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

Thanks for the hint, Lubaska. :gathering:

Here the new statement:

Nach der Brut ist vor der Brut

Montag, 31. Oktober 2016

Liebe Uhufreundinnen und –freunde,
die Herbstbalz der Uhus ist schon in vollem Gange. Obwohl Leo den diesjährigen Brutverlauf nicht in bester Erinnerung haben dürfte, ist er immer noch auch vom unteren Brutplatz angetan.

„Nestlocken und Mulde-Scharren“ konnten wir an beiden Nistplätzen beobachten. Lottes „Hinkebein“ scheint weiter geheilt zu sein, zumindest können wir auf dem Video keine eindeutige Beeinträchtigung beobachten. Für die nächste Brutzeit wird sie hoffentlich wieder voll einsatzfähig sein.

Video Player

In den vergangenen Monaten gingen bei uns in der EGE relativ viele Fundmeldungen totaufgefundener beringter Uhus ein. Obwohl das Jahr noch nicht zu Ende ist, übersteigt besonders die Anzahl der als Straßenverkehrsopfer gemeldeten Uhus die der Vorjahre. Es mag nur ein Zufall sein oder aber ein Hinweis darauf, dass die Nahrung für Uhus weiterhin sehr knapp ist und die Uhus vermehrt an Straßen jagen. Dort ist in der intensiv genutzten Landschaft oft noch am ehesten etwas zu fangen oder beispielsweise ein überfahrenes Kaninchen zu finden. Je intensiver Acker- und Grünland oberhalb des Ahrtales bewirtschaftet werden, umso knapper sind Nahrungstiere für Uhus. Das Risiko für Uhus bei dieser Gelegenheit mit Autos zu kollidieren, ist hoch. In der Nähe unserer Web-Cam-Uhus gibt es glücklicherweise wenig breite, viel befahrene Straßen.

Drücken wir den Uhus die Daumen und arbeiten wir dafür, dass in die Agrarwirtschaft mehr Vernunft einkehrt und dort mit mehr Rücksicht auf die Natur gewirtschaftet wird. Das ist auch eine Frage des Konsumverhaltens der 80 Millionen Bundesbürger.

Mit vielen Grüßen

Ihr Stefan Brücher
Gesellschaft zur Erhaltung der Eulen e. V.
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

I try to translate:

After the brood is before the brood
Monday, October 31st, 2016

Dear Eagle owlfriends,
the autumnal balm of the Eagle owls is already in full swing. Although Leo is not likely to remember the breeding season this year, he is still affected by the lower breeding ground.

"Luring into the nest" and "scratching a hollow" we could observe at both nesting places. Lotte's "limping leg" seems to be further cured, at least we can not observe clearly a disability on the video. For the next breeding season she will hopefully be fully operational again.

In recent months, the EGE has received a large number of find reports of deadly ringed Eagle owls. Although the year has not yet come to an end, the number reported as road traffic victims exceeds that of previous years. It may be just a coincidence, but it can be also an indication that the food for Eagle owls is still very scarce and the Eagle owls are increasingly hunting on roads. Often there is still most likely something to catch in the intensively used landscape or, for example, a crossed rabbit to be found. The more intensive land and grassland are worked above the Ahr valley, the narrower are the prey animals for Eagle owls. The risk for Eagle owls is high to collide with cars on this occasion.
Fortunately there are only a few wide, much frequented roads near our Eagle owl cam.

Fingers crossed for the Eagle owls and let's work for returning to more sanity into the agricultural economy, and that there is more respect for nature. This is a question of the consumer behaviour of the 80 million citizens, too.

Best regards
Yours Stefan Brücher

Gesellschaft zur Erhaltung der Eulen e. V.
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

It s sad to hear that there were more killed Uhus this year than earlier :(
Poor animals, they have nothing to eat in the natural habitats because the area of natural habitats fades away just in front of us...

Biodiversity in our overcrowded Europe is decreasing in unbelievable big rate and sick motorization leads to something like chain reactions. Animal killed on the road attracts another animal which becomes next victim of the following car accident. And so on... I cant imagine how people from such organizations like EGE can influence in any way agricultural management in the area and consumer behavior of millions people. Modern humans are so selfish that I dont believe that these attempts can be successful. Frustrating job...
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

:hi:
17:40 Leo in the lower nest
romy

Post by romy »

:hi: I also saw Leo Image
and Lotte was to be heard
Bea

Post by Bea »

Leo arrived at 17:39

17:52
He was out of cam view short, but came back in view and Lotte can be heard

For next season I so hope that Lotte will not be impressed by Leo´s attempts to lure her to the lower nest and that she will decide to move back to the upper nest for breeding .... :bow:
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

:wave:
I also heard Lotte and something like.....third owl hissing? (the initial part of the video)
https://youtu.be/Nfh90u-dCVk
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

Bea wrote:...For next season I so hope that Lotte will not be impressed by Leo´s attempts to lure her to the lower nest and that she will decide to move back to the upper nest for breeding .... :bow:
Yes Bea, me too. It was such a chaos last season. :whistling:
And we know, that all owlets would have died without the great support of Stefan Brücher.
Bea

Post by Bea »

9. November

Leo was here to check the nestbowl (upside! upside! :loveshower: )

Return to “Owls”