Estonian Tawny Owl Webcam 2016

Tawny Owls and all the others
debianuser

Re: Estonian Tawny Owl Webcam 2016

Post by debianuser »

Abigyl wrote:Yes, I tried to look for some information, to me it looks like a place for another family

Window it too small, isn't it ??

On second thought, perhaps it's the proportions of the outside cam ?? looks very small but from the inside looks normal.
Could be just a wide-angle lens on the inside, so it appears bigger. This nestbox is probably intended for something small like a great tit.
http://pontu.ca/ Pontu video and picture archive viewer with easy date and camera selection. *Generating Snapshots for most cameras that don't normally take snapshots*
*Note that snapshots generated by me are only stored for 3 days due to disk space limitation on the server.*
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Bea,

I hope Renno will send us pics of the kids, like he did in previous seasons.

I hope K & K will know the new address. :thumbs:
Bea

Post by Bea »

I think only the cam was moved, the nestbox of Klaara & Klaus stays where it is, they should have no difficulty to find it back next season ;)
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Danielle

Post by Danielle »

Woou! New home for Klara - nice.
But the window/door is absolutely too small!
(my humble opinion)
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

From the inside looks this nestbox very deep, but the entry (hole) is for a little bird.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Danielle wrote:Woou! New home for Klara - nice.
But the window/door is absolutely too small!
(my humble opinion)
This nestbox, I believe, is not for tawny owls.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

21:37 I hear begging

21:57

renno

Post by renno »

Bea wrote:Hopefully we will hear soon news from Renno about this new location for the cam, maybe the place has already some "history". Until then it is a surprise-box :D
Hello!

Sorry for not giving any notice about moving owl webcam. I put camera into small nestbox where hopefully some small passerines will breed. They are on their first clutches but many of them will breed once more during this season.

I also searched Klaara and Klaus chicks but didn´t saw them although hear them once in high tree canopy. There were very high and dense threes with lot of leaves between us and no chicks visible. But saw Klaara or Klaus closeby.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Good morning!

Renno sent me a photo showing either Klaara or Klaus. Thanks for this!

Thanks also for the information about the new nest box. We hope somebody will move in, and we have to think about where we put a topic, since we will have to wait for who chooses to live there.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

good morning :hi:

thank you for the info Renno, I'm curious.
Beautiful picture
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

renno wrote: Hello!

Sorry for not giving any notice about moving owl webcam. I put camera into small nestbox where hopefully some small passerines will breed. They are on their first clutches but many of them will breed once more during this season.

I also searched Klaara and Klaus chicks but didn´t saw them although hear them once in high tree canopy. There were very high and dense threes with lot of leaves between us and no chicks visible. But saw Klaara or Klaus closeby.
I am really hoping passarines will come to this nest - in Brasil there are Great Kiskadee passarines, commonly called 'bem-te-vi' (which translates as 'well i saw you') because of a very distinctive birdsong. So I would love to hear Estonian passarines by way of comparison :nod:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I think, Laranjeiras, Renno meant more "songbirds" as in "passerine" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passerine, in general, not a specific one with that name in it. Great tits belong to them, as ravens do as well.

We will see who comes to live and then will decide where to the topic will belong. But I think it can't be anything big, the hole is not large enough to admit bigger birds. Unless a woodpecker decides to do some reconstruction work.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

:hi: Felis
Thanks for that - I have a long way to go in my 'bird education'! :laugh:
Even so, it will be interesting to see whichever bird does come around
:thumbs:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

No problem, we are all here to learn and keep on learning. When I joined here I knew birds have wings and feathers and that I like them a lot and especially owls. Now I have already learnt a few things and have even gained a bit of knowledge about biological classification of birds. There is much more to discover than feathers ... :mrgreen:

asteria

Post by asteria »

I think the nestbox would fit for starlings or some woodpeckers.
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

:hi:
For many years now have Klaara & Klaus decide in this nature "box" to brood. Why, we dont know it.
Watching another cam, box was built by human hand and the interior is larger. The window seems not really bigger ... pic

Difference in behavior, could not watch a fight for food ... but also can be, food was near or existed in this region more.

However, think we must trust Klaara & Klaus, seems they are happy with this home. Also think if not, they would not come back.
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

Few of my last pics ... Owlet in window and next one try to go in there

Sib says "stay in there, now it's my time"

Looking around

The last Owlet in box

Wish all of you cute Owlets the best, enjoys the world!

Thanks Maggy for all your doing, it was like every year great :2thumbsup: ... and of course also other members for report, pics and videos :thumbs:
-Thumper-

Post by -Thumper- »

Will you be moving the cam back for 2017 or are Klaara and Klaus being officially retired from Looduskalender? :faint:
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

asteria wrote:I think the nestbox would fit for starlings or some woodpeckers.

It's to late to start breeding for starling and woodpeckers don't breed in the nest boxes. However they can stay there at night.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

-Thumper- wrote:Will you be moving the cam back for 2017 or are Klaara and Klaus being officially retired from Looduskalender? :faint:
There are no news of any plans yet, the year is still long. For the moment the camera is used here. So no reason to faint already!

Return to “Estonian Owl Webcam Forum”