Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Ajeta

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 12th, 2021, 1:26 pm When I read this information, I had a vision of a plastic thing that was lying in the sun. It has become discolored and slightly porous from exposure to the sun and weather. If such a thing is even just wet with water, it can look almost like new. It becomes smoother and brighter. The fat from the gland should have about the same effect on the beak, I think. Without fat, the beak turns pale and dries up.
Nice vision. There's a difference though between looking new and being new. And there is a difference between a living beak and a "dead" piece of plastic. So I'm not sure how much it serves as explanation.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: May 12th, 2021, 1:50 pm Nice vision. There's a difference though between looking new and being new. And there is a difference between a living beak and a "dead" piece of plastic. So I'm not sure how much it serves as explanation.
My experience tells me that there is an analogy, fingernails, for example. If we are constantly in contact with something that removes (absorbs) the greasy coating from our skin, such as chalk or paper, then the fingernails become dull and porous.
We can't judge through the camera how much better Milda's beak is, but we see it much brighter and smoother.
balistar

Post by balistar »

taken from the observation-thread:
ame wrote: May 12th, 2021, 6:28 am 4:54 again.
[youtube]He3ODW-hhd8[ /youtube]

5:22 the eagles sang in the forest.
[youtube]nlayntaurS8[ /youtube]

this sounded really very nice. Milda seems to have settled with Mr L. :innocent:
i hope that there will not be any more eagles. 8-)
so much lovely singing this morning.... could these maybe be wedding songs ? :innocent:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: May 12th, 2021, 1:44 pm Yes, I'm sorry, I didn't disagree with that.
Why?You think she just didn't want to brush her feathers? That nothing was bothering her?
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

balistar wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:08 pm taken from the observation-thread:

so much lovely singing this morning.... could these maybe be wedding songs ? :innocent:
They started last night. At 21:49 and 22:11.
Maybe a wedding... until the next groom arrived. :mrgreen:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 12th, 2021, 1:23 pm I think I've answered that question.:
:puzzled: Are you saying that the Latvians, Maris, Verotaja, mega2 and all those knowledgable people don't know about size differences and gender? Or olgapyat? If so, I disagree most strongly.
Sonchik wrote: May 12th, 2021, 1:23 pm I keep wondering, what kind of herd are you talking about? There are only a few of us and we thought they were females for only a few days. And no one claimed it, only assumed it. We had to assume something? Then there were other circumstances and from April 2, everyone was convinced that they were males.
Herd instinct is a metaphor to describe behaviour typically for a group. It doesn't have to be a group of the size of an Australian cattle herd.

In your previous post you sounded as if you believed more of them to be females. Never mind.

I wasn't talking about claiming, I was talking about the unequivocal way assumptions were phrased, and that in my view one can phrase observations one is not sure about with more caution.

Generally, females were believed to be around until Mr C turned up (i.e. April 8th).
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:15 pm Why?You think she just didn't want to brush her feathers? That nothing was bothering her?
She was sitting on her eggs. Does she normally preen while sitting on her eggs?
If I remember rightly, I explicitly said she was annoyed at different male strangers bringing their shouting and upheaval and fighting to the nest where it endangered the eggs she was concerned to protect. So I don't understand your questions.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

balistar wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:08 pm taken from the observation-thread:
:thumbs: Thank you, balistar, for pointing that out. It's so fascinating, these rituals or customs they have and how those influence their physiological states and their interaction.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:40 pm Are you saying that the Latvians, Maris, Verotaja, mega2 and all those knowledgable people don't know about size differences and gender? Or olgapyat? If so, I disagree most strongly. :puzzled:
I don't want to get personal, but Vērotāja wasn't back then, MĀRIS wrote that they were males, mega2 doesn't make any conclusions at all, as far as I know.
Herd instinct is a metaphor to describe behaviour typically for a group. It doesn't have to be a group of the size of an Australian cattle herd.
I know what the herd instinct is. I do not think that we had a critical mass in the topic in such an amount that it somehow affected people. We were 4-5 regular people and a few occasionally appeared. Besides, not everyone wrote about the females. Where do you see the herd instinct in action?
In your previous post you sounded as if you believed more of them to be females. Never mind.
I thought so at the first appearance of each eagle, but not until April 8 inclusive. I was deceived about some of them for several days, and about others for 5 minutes (conditionally).
I wasn't talking about claiming, I was talking about the unequivocal way assumptions were phrased, and that in my view one can phrase observations one is not sure about with more caution.
Give an example of this formulation.
Generally, females were believed to be around until Mr C turned up (i.e. April 8th).
I'm currently reading the topic for April 2. There is no word" female " affirmatively at all. There is either the word "male" or "I do not know who it is" or " maybe it is a male?".
And I was the longest convinced that it was a female, I think. :mrgreen:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:45 pm She was sitting on her eggs. Does she normally preen while sitting on her eggs?
If I remember rightly, I explicitly said she was annoyed at different male strangers bringing their shouting and upheaval and fighting to the nest where it endangered the eggs she was concerned to protect. So I don't understand your questions.
Just like I don't understand your questions. :rotf:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

C4colby wrote: May 7th, 2021, 3:35 pm ...
I’m sure someone will probably tell me not to discuss other nest on this thread, but I’m going to say it anyway, I’m really enjoying watching Eve ad Eeriks’ nest. They are quite a nice pair and their eaglets appear to be thriving. The main reason I bring up this nest is that I continue to be fascinated by the differences in parenting styles. Eve certainly has the most gentle touch of feeding her eaglets. Her and Eerik seem to parent with ease.
I feel sorry for you because of the situation in that nest. Image
Unfortunately, you couldn't cheat fate and be happy at least there.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 12th, 2021, 3:14 pm And I was the longest convinced that it was a female, I think. :mrgreen:
:thumbs: :wave:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 12th, 2021, 3:15 pm Just like I don't understand your questions. :rotf:
:shock: O dear, so my impression was right.
Doesn't matter - all's well that ends well. :2thumbsup:
C4colby

Post by C4colby »

Sonchik wrote: May 12th, 2021, 3:19 pm I feel sorry for you because of the situation in that nest. Image
Unfortunately, you couldn't cheat fate and be happy at least there.
Yes it is very sad! It shows how quickly it can all change. Both eaglets so strong and thriving. Nature can truly be hard to watch sometimes.
rodjur

Post by rodjur »

Hello to everybody,

It is a very sad season... Just wanted to share a link of an article that was published in science. It was on the cover as well. This is about Bald Eagles.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... 50/tab-pdf
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

There's never much information about eggs, is there?
viewtopic.php?p=800506#p800506
ame

Post by ame »

i have added the search word 's.eacheggdevelopment' in the FAQ-list of our topic. this is a very interesting question. :nod:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

At 11:20 in an Estonian eagle's nest, a eaglet clawed at the paw of another eagle, and it made the sounds of pain that we heard in our nest. Or rather, under the nest. In general, you can see how this happens. It's not a fight for the nest, just for the fish, but still.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

The silver boy brought a green twig (20:14). This is serious. :2thumbsup:
handbyl

Post by handbyl »

In the YT chat, a number of Latvian users referred to Mr K, whereas I thought he was not formally named. Is that what he is known as in Latvian?

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”