Estonian Osprey Nest Mai & Mati ~DISCUSSION 2016

Birdfriend

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest Mai & Mati ~DISCUSSION 2016

Post by Birdfriend »

Gavril wrote:The early disappearance of Mai can be explained by the fact that the fishing ponds are far away. Mai, you need to accumulate strength for the long journey, so she left the nest. In 2012, the first mistress of this nest of Piret, before heading to the migration, visited the fish ponds, preparing for the long flight. https://z5h64q92x9.net/proxy_u/en-ru.ru ... 05#p164905 However, the fate of Neeme scares me. He could, of course, go after mother Mai...., but, we can only fantasise...
Hm, I'm not sure. In the previous season Mai was seen on the nest until 31.August!!
She delivered still a fish to Claara and Cecilia.
In my eyes she disappeared to early.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

:hi:
as may be the case that Mai and Neeme appeared, but in a very short period of time so short that neither the images of the camera nor we did not notice them. This can be verified only by downloading and carefully reviewing the video. After all, Paavo, too, has departed.

But in the nest of Ivo and Irma still present Ivar and Ivo ..
Two nests and so everything is different .. :puzzled:
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

:hi: Yes, Sappheira! Very different nests and events at these nests. So different that I had thought - and didn't stay in the nest if Ivo and Ivar? :laugh: Although today the 4th of September. Ivar have enough time for a few lessons in fishing and further migration. The tragic events of this season have in common these nests, unfortunately.... :unsure:
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

:wave: Gavril!
First I want to thank you for dedication to Mai and Mati's nest!
Your posts and pictures and observations this season always made me smile or laugh!
Hellem and Birdfriend too, are/were dedicated, I also thank them! :bow:
:gathering:
It is disappointing how the season ended. Many questions and speculations, by me anyway. I hope that Urmas and the Eagle Club will find the answers.
Aside from the newborn chick mystery, and the season ending mystery, the nest had a great season, caring parents, lots of fish and both Osprets learned to fly!
:thumbs:
cling09

Post by cling09 »

Sappheira wrote::hi:
as may be the case that Mai and Neeme appeared, but in a very short period of time so short that neither the images of the camera nor we did not notice them. This can be verified only by downloading and carefully reviewing the video. After all, Paavo, too, has departed.

But in the nest of Ivo and Irma still present Ivar and Ivo ..
Two nests and so everything is different .. :puzzled:
cp left after he was calling fish for all day, but dad want him to be independent,
after that day, cp migrated;

ivar on the other hand , is the only kid left after strong wind blows,
his parents spoil him, especially the dad;

on the earlier days, u can see CP is more aggressive than other kids,
in my opinion, stay or leave all depends on bird's characters.
Jujani

Post by Jujani »

In the German Nest 3 Ospreys hatched on 23/24/25 in May. One of them is still there and will be very well fed by the father
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

cling09 wrote: ......ivar on the other hand , is the only kid left after strong wind blows,
his parents spoil him, especially the dad...
:hi: A wonderful father Ivo is still very young. :chick: He's still ahead, including the experience of raising children! :D
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

[quote="Konrad"]:
So the question is: has Kotkaklubi built such supporting structures or platforms also for other bird species than ospreys? Like WTEs, for example?

During more as 30 years we installed several tens of artificial nests for different species. You are right, Ospreys are the best species to build successfully an artificial nest for. They have not much choice in current natural conditions, but it is turning. In quite representative amount of protected areas the woods can develop naturally and there appear suitable trees in time, hopefully. Other species (eagles, black stork) do not take over artificial nests so often, maybe we have not so well placed those, maybe there are some other reasons not to accept these.

But in recent days we are not so often installing the artificial nests, because don't want to establish populations depending on human help. That may rise additional questions, but so we do only in few cases the artificial platforms. For WtE nest with webcam we decided to make one of those exceptions and to fix some base for nest there. Can't say when it will happen.
Summi

Post by Summi »

Thank you, Urmas, for having decided to make a base for the WtE nest with the webcam. Let's hope that Uku and Anna would accept it and we can watch this magnificent pair again. Thank you to the whole team involved. :bow:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Urmas, thank you for the answer. Nice to hear that you are going to give some construction help.

Different people in different countries seem to use different structures in artificial nests. One example is the osprey nest near Hannover. (The video was earlier linked to this forum)

http://www.oessm.org/blog/?page_id=3105

There seems to be a round metal grill under the nest. The same type of supporting system has been used in some other countries also for eagles. Somehow I think that a structure made of wood is more natural, but the main thing is of course, that it is strong enough to support the nest + adult birds + nestlings. Installing some structure high in a tree is not an easy job in any case, whether the supporting platform is made of metal or wood. But you certainly know what you do. The supporters under the osprey nests seem to be strong and installed in a wise way.
Bea

Post by Bea »

Those of you who come into the topics by clicking the last posts on the index page might have missed this news

viewtopic.php?p=504320&f=54#p504320

Estonian Eagle Club (Kotkaklubi) needs support in a vote!
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Bea

Post by Bea »

Hello everybody! :hi:

Some news about our osprey nest cam (Mai & Mati) - the microphone didn´t survive the winter and is defective, a new one is ordered, has still to be delivered and then time has to be found to go to nest site and install the new microphone.

I suppose we still have to wait for some days, but stay tuned! It will come! :wink:
Bea

Post by Bea »

While Looduskalender was offline during EENet maintenance work, our Osprey cam went online :D

New topic for 2017
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=891

See you there :wave:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”