Following Karls' Families

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
juta
Site Admin

Re: Following Karls' Families

Post by juta »

KARL II

No new data.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

UDU

No!!!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello :hi:

Thanks for the interesting information, Liz and Sova! :wave:

Great that you can see the Northern Lights where you live, Liz! :thumbs:
Lucky you! I've never seen it live.

Thank you, Juta! :wave:

By now, Karl II most likely has reached his first wintering site, in South Sudan. We probably won't get any news from him until next spring.
Enjoy your holiday, Karl II !

According to the data he sent on his way back last spring, Karl II will most probably first spend part of the winter in South Sudan, and then travel on to the Central African Republic. (Black storks are very steadfast in the choice of their wintering grounds.)

See more details here: https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 23#p781223
and here: https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 77#p832377

In the Central African Republic he is staying in a very interesting area, on the border between the Central African Republic and the Democratic Republic of Congo, on the banks of the Mbomou River.
That's between the Chinko Nature Reserve and the Eastern Bomu Wildlife Reserve

Karl II's autumn migration in 2020. In pink.

Pikne is possibly somewhere in (northern?) Ethiopia. (Just a guess) Pikne flew very resolutely, like an adult BS. I have confidence in him/her. :thumbs:
(From Vedru we got no signals during the winter from that area either.)

And Udu? Who knows where Udu is at the moment? I hope for good news soon!
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

BIRDMAP OVERVIEW OCTOBER 30

KARL II
Previous data: : 28.10.2021, distance 7083 km, +619 km in 2 days, travelling. Karl II flew to the SW and sent data from his overnight place near Umm Harazat in Sudan.
NO NEW data

UDU
Previous data: 28.10.2021, distance 6080 km, + 87 km in 1 day, stopover. Udu sent data from the Farafra Oasis in Egypt.
NO NEW data

PIKNE
Previous data: 24.10.2021, distance 5461 km, +652 km in 2 days, travelling. Pikne sent data near Hurghada in Egypt.
NO NEW data

Last known locations:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Anne7 wrote: October 30th, 2021, 9:35 pm ...And Udu? Who knows where Udu is at the moment? I hope for good news soon!
Anne, :wave: thanks for updates and information! :2thumbsup:

Unfortunately, this is not a good way to flew to a wintering area. At the moment many are in an area with very poor GMS coverage. So one can only hope!
you can take a look here, if you like!
https://www.gsma.com/coverage/#414

Still, Udu needs a lot of crossed fingers. :bow: It was definitely exhausting to cross the Mediterranean Sea. After that he actually needs a place where he can find enough food. Wherever he was, the water is sulphurous. It is directed to the fields from a hot spring. If I got that right. :puzzled:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Liz01 wrote: October 31st, 2021, 1:35 pm Unfortunately, this is not a good way to flew to a wintering area.

It was definitely exhausting to cross the Mediterranean Sea. After that he actually needs a place where he can find enough food.
I fully agree, Liz. :wave: It’s an extremely dangerous and challenging route.

That’s why I previously wrote:
“That’s an extra problem for BS who manage to cross the Mediterranean. On arrival, after an exhausting (wing flapping) flight, they still have the immense Sahara in front of them.
Udu can probably do without food for several days, using his/her fat reserves.
But I hope Udu will find an oasis soon to quench his thirst (and maybe grab something edible) and rest a little... and then gets out of the desert as soon as possible.”

There is a very valid reason why the vast majority of successful BS fly over the Bosphorus (or the Sea of Marmara) or over Gibraltar. They wisely avoid crossing the Mediterranean. Sometimes they make a huge diversions to do so, but it’s for their own safety.

I realise that some members do not like to read this (and I can understand that very well) but it is simply the reality. Unfortunately, we cannot change (or ignore) the facts. It sometimes takes strong nerves (and acceptance!) to look at the facts. No one ever promised that following BS migration is a constant joy (with a guaranteed happy ending...)
Liz01 wrote: October 31st, 2021, 1:35 pm Wherever he was, the water is sulphurous. It is directed to the fields from a hot spring. If I got that right. :puzzled:

Still, Udu needs a lot of crossed fingers. :bow:
Really?? Are the fields in the Farafra Oasis irrigated with the sulphurous water of the hot springs?
I didn’t realise/know that.
Oh dear, that wouldn’t be good, I believe …

Yes, my fingers are crossed for our little Udu! ❤️
I hope s/he is flying east or southeast and will soon reach the Nile. Hopefully today…
But his/her route is completely unpredictable.
— Irene Pepperberg
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Anne7 wrote: October 31st, 2021, 4:51 pm .....
Really?? Are the fields in the Farafra Oasis irrigated with the sulphurous water of the hot springs?
I didn’t realise/know that.
Oh dear, that wouldn’t be good, I believe …
Anne, I have read it here

Travel description:
At the coordinates 29.07 ° N / 29.37 ° E we meet the slope (now asphalted, but miserable) from Farafra to the Nile Valley and follow it for another 70 km to Farafra.
We stop at Bir Sita, a hot sulfur spring, 6 km northwest of Qasr al Farafra. The water first flows into a concrete pool the size of a whirlpool and then flows into a larger pool, from which it is channeled into the fields via distributors...

German :shake:
https://www.umdiewelt.de/t5713_14
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Thank you, Liz. :hi: :thumbs:

A quick Google search showed me that sulphurous water is actually good for crops. Plants like tomatoes and potatoes benefit from it. It adds valuable minerals.
But the smell and taste of sulphuric water is awful, isn't it? A rotten egg smell.
I don’t know if Black storks will drink it?
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Due to "winter time", the data sessions are currently earlier.

TRACKER MAP
PIKNE - OCTOBER 31

No new data

Last data received by GPRS: 2021-10-24 at 19:27:15 (UTC+2)
Next data session expected: 2021-11-01 at 18:27:15 (UTC+2)
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

TRACKER MAP
KARL II - OCTOBER 31

No new data

Last data received by GPRS: 2021-10-28 at 19:39:41 (UTC+2)
Next data session expected: 2021-11-01 at 18:39:41 (UTC+2)
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

TRACKER MAP
UDU - OCTOBER 31

Unfortunately, again no new data

Last data received by GPRS: 2021-10-28 at 19:54:59 (UTC+2)
Next data session expected: 2021-11-01 at 18:54:59 (UTC+2)
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

BIRDMAP OVERVIEW OCTOBER 31

KARL II
Previous data: : 28.10.2021, distance 7083 km, +619 km in 2 days, travelling. Karl II flew to the SW and sent data from his overnight place near Umm Harazat in Sudan.
NO NEW data

UDU
Previous data: 28.10.2021, distance 6080 km, + 87 km in 1 day, stopover. Udu sent data from the Farafra Oasis in Egypt.
NO NEW data

PIKNE
Previous data: 24.10.2021, distance 5461 km, +652 km in 2 days, travelling. Pikne sent data near Hurghada in Egypt.
NO NEW data
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

November 1st

Hello! :hi:

TRACKER MAP
PIKNE - NOVEMBER 1st
No new data.

TRACKER MAP
KARL II - NOVEMBER 1st
No new data.

TRACKER MAP
UDU - NOVEMBER 1st
Unfortunately, no new data.
— Irene Pepperberg
bigfan

Post by bigfan »

How sad, yet thanks! ANNE :hi:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Hi to all :hi:

If you remember, last year Karl II sent data on October 23 and after that there were no data till March. Now it may be the same.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Anne, asteria, bigfan and all :hi:

They are all in an area where data is very rarely sent. Only with luck you get. This is confirmed by Māris Strazds. He wrote that they are disappearing in Sudan and no one knows where they are. So we have to be patient. I'm not too worried about the adults. But I would prefer to see new data from Udu.

Last new data by Latvian Mare- 2021-10-20! She is in this area too!
bigfan

Post by bigfan »

[quote=Liz01 post_id=833635

Liz, yes, it's interesting that we all take Pikne as an adult. She is great and flies like a big girl. Yes, we are most worried about little Udu ... The beginning of the flight to the west shifted his entire migration route, which would otherwise be correct. So let's hope Udu can do it. :wave:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Tracker Maps.
November 2, 2021.

PIKNE
No new data.

KARL II
No new data

UDU
No new data.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

November 3rd

Hello, everyone! :wave:

Thank you, Jo :hi:

Bigfan, Liz, Asteria :wave:

Yes, we will now (probably) have to wait patiently until next spring. That is a long time! With a bit of luck, we will receive new data from Pikne and/or Udu (if they were to change location during winter) before spring migration starts. We can only hope that all our storks meanwhile arrived safe and sound in a good wintering place and enjoy life! And hopefully everyone reappears on the radar sometime next year. For juvenile storks, spring migration starts usually later than for adults. They are not yet in a hurry to fly north again.

All the best, Karl II, Pikne and Udu !
— Irene Pepperberg
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Anne7 wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 12:15 pm ... We can only hope that all our storks meanwhile arrived safe and sound in a good wintering place and enjoy life! And hopefully everyone reappears on the radar sometime next year. For juvenile storks, spring migration starts usually later than for adults. They are not yet in a hurry to fly north again.

All the best, Karl II, Pikne and Udu !
Hello, thank you very much, Anne!

We share the same thoughts.
I sincerely hope that all goes well!
Many thanks to everyone who provided and updated the information.

:wave:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”